Having a Problem

Justin

I didn't know I was up in arms about anything??? I thought we were just having a discussion??? Of course, you have a right to your opinion, even if it is wrong
wink.gif

For the record, I don't let the NRA do my thinking, they are too soft in my opinion!

I'd really like to know why you think background checks are a good idea?

You say:

"And no I do not think that any law will help prevent a "bad guy" from getting a gun. But it might detour someone who isn't a bad guy but doesn't really need to own a gun."

First, our right to own a gun is not based on "need". Second, I have to ask, if the person buying the gun isn't a "bad guy" just HOW will a background check "detour" his purchase? And, if he isn't a "bad guy", why would you want the purchase detoured? Do you think a background check will find a problem regarding mental records? In many states, mine included, mental records are confidential and a background check won't access them.

Did you have a problem with people buying guns from dealers before mandatory background checks? Do you know that the dealer keeps the yellow sheet on file and never sends a copy to the BATF unless the business terminates or there is a request for a trace on a particular gun the dealer sold?

Do you know that, through the NICS system (that the NRA stupidly supported by the way), the BATF has violated the very laws they are sworn to uphold by retaining records on gun purchases beyond what the law allows? Why do you think they want to keep these records? Do you know, throughout history, registration (record keeping by another name) has always proceeded confiscation, followed by genocide in far too many cases?

It disturbs me when a fellow gunowner is so willing to give up part of our rights for the remote possibility that by doing so, a "bad guy" might have a little harder time getting a gun.

We, as a country, have within our grasp, the ability to substantially reduce crime but the liberals don't have the guts to do the job. Instead, they want to punish, regulate and inconvenience the innocent instead of flushing the garbage down the proverbial toilet. We need criminal control, NOT gun control!!!

This same scenario played out in my town about 15 years ago. Same type guy, worked in a factory, had many weapons including full autos. Everyone working in the factory with him knew he was unstable. He frequentlly said things like "I'll kill you." He went ballistic one day. Started by killing his parents. Then robbed a conveinence store. Shot 2 sherrif deputies before he was cornered in a field about a week later after a farmer found him hiding in a trailer on his place. He shot the farmer in the side of the mouth with a 9mm as he was turning his head to yell at his son to run. The bullet went through the farmers cheek and stopped in a wad of chaw. They finally brought in the national gaurd and a helicopter and got the guy. Everyone wished they would have taken the guy more seriously. Talk to anyone you can before innocents get hurt.

Hi guys! It's been some time! Been fishing instead of hunting here lately.
If this guy suffers from BPD (Bipolar Disorder) and the medications do not seem to help. Then you may have a real problem on your hands. BPD used to be called Manic Depressive Disorder. For the most part, when the meds work, the people are pretty much "Normal". However, when they don't work, or the guy start on a "manic" phase they start feeling real good and stop taking the meds. Paranoia, hearing voices, no sleep, general delusions, etc. are all manifested. My wife suffers this. I've seen what a real good manic phase can do. It's not fun and things can get dangerous in a hurry!
I would be all for reporting this to the local police so they can at least be aware of what's happening. That's a "Concerned Citizen" type thing to do. You defniately don't want this guy popping a kid because he believe they are CIA midgets do you? If you think I'm kidding about this, I'm not. I've seen it. Up close and personal.

Just my 2 cents worth.

It all sounds like the thing to do, but where does the prudent man end his concern, and the fear mongers take up the slack? In other words, every one of us is a potential threat, depending on one's viewpoint.

I don't know a single household in my neighborhood where they hunt or shoot. Many know that I do. I have wondered, on occasion, if my name is on some list at the local PD....After all, I do have the means, and I suppose I act a little weird to some folks. That's all it takes. Informers.

I worry that the shoe can easily be on the other foot. One more call by a concerned citizen, and quite a few of us may have a few restrictions on our rights. I must say, in all honesty, that what Gon Huntin wrote is powerful well reasoned debate.

Right now, I'm in my fifties. I'm paying attention to the "regulators" amongst us. The fact that some seniors might drive poorly is no excuse to restrict my activities with extra conditions, just because there might be a few senile duffers on the road. If that was the sole criteria, not many teenagers would have a license; due to a small number of showoff punks?

I can envision the time where a prescription for an antidepresant in a household would be all it takes, for well meaning "concerned" officials to come knocking on your door on the theory that your wife may flip out one of these days. You know, why take the chance. Slippery slope, if you ask me. And yet, every time some moron shoots somebody, I'd like to personally handle the situation. Not really, but I resent these nuts for reflecting on me, as a gun owner. I have a small rage over MY rights becoming threatened by these unballanced people.

I worry about who calls the shots, who makes the decisions and the fairness of a rush to judgement based on unfounded fears.

Good hunting. LB

Tackdriver
Seems you know enough about your situation and the person involved to make a rational decision. Your decision in not going to suit everybody but why should it?

If this individual gets cross threaded only those associate with the person in question will suffer or be affected.

Unless you tell us here on the board chances are we will never know if he does any harm.

According to your recent post others are concerned as you are and they have the same information you do and are acquainted with the person.

If your medical history/information is accurate I would say do what puts your mind at rest----and check your loads.

------------------
Thanks for your time--

My 2 cents.

Well I know alot of people with "witchy tempers" and a fascination with hi cap guns.

Matter of fact I'm one of them.

Give me untlimited funds and I would have a vault of class 3.

I'm usually a fairly happy guy but I can go ballistic and if you saw it happen you'd say its a shade worse than "witchy".

If your gonna call the cops then at least call the local guys first (county sheriff, state troopers,city).

DONT call the frickin feds. Especially those assholes at the FBI or ATF.

Like sharpshooter said unless he's been JUDGED off center then he has the same rights of you and me.

Now if he starts talking about shooting people then by all means call someone.

First I PROMISE this is my last word on this matter.

Tack this is NOT a flame.

One thing I picked up on in your original post was that you said..And I'll paraphrase.

" What would you guys do when you MEET"

Now if you knew this guy for some time you would have said KNOW.

Do you KNOW this guy or did you MEET him at a range and all the busy bee bench rest guys told you stories? Did HE tell you he is on 4 types of meds for a psychiatric condition?

Or did the busy beavers tell you this?

He amassed an arsenal?? Well if I win POWERBALL the countryside here will echo with the sounds of belt feds. Right after I buy my private 100,000 acre ranch....heeheehehehehee

Another thing that bothers me is this. You said he has no affinity for hunting.

So

Obviously you have no affinity for hi cap and auto weapons.

Who is right? Who is wrong?

Do you really know this guy? How long have you known him? Maybe his ole lady is humpin the mailman.

Well I digress

But I'll leave you with this. Given the right conditions. The nicest guy in the world can spend 6 months or more all screwed up for a variety of reasons.

How long have you known him?

Like I said this is not a flame.

But being an asshole (if you say he is) and wanting an AR is not enough to sick the dogs of law on him.

The great thing about america is this. The only people who JUDGE you wear black robes.

Don't work all the time but until somebody comes up with something better we are stuck

Mule,
No I did not take what you said as a flame, but I would like to insert a point of clarification. I do not have a problem with semi-autos, it is just that I have not yet found one (rifle or pistol) that would fill the bill for the hunting that I do, as adequately as some other styles.

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

Back