Hornady GMX vs Barnes Tipped TSX

Rotty

Which one would you choose and why....looking at hunting bullets for my 6.5 grendel.
Hornady has a higher BC, but wondering if the expansion will be as good as a barnes.

I have no experience with the GMX, but quite a bit with Barnes. I suspect the GMX will perform like a Barnes.

I have used Barnes since about when they came on the market, 1992. The TSX and T-TSX are very accurate and very deadly.

Try both and use the most accurate one.

The only Barnes experiance I've had was watching my friend shoot a coyote and antelope, then me shoot a badger on the same day with a 22-250 w / I think a ttsx (might be a tsx?) It performed flawlessly and was very accurate

The GMX worked ok, have yet to shoot anything with it

For the 6.5 Grendel I would use the Barnes 100 gr Tipped TSX. I saw my son shoot a coyote twice with 120 gr Barnes TSX bullets and the coyote ran about 70 yards before it fell over. It had very small exit holes on both shots.

It looks like the GMX only comes in 120 gr in 6.5 mm. If I was going to shoot this type of bullet in the 6.5 Grendel I would want the extra speed of the Barnes 100 gr TTSX.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobFor the 6.5 Grendel I would use the Barnes 100 gr Tipped TSX. I saw my son shoot a coyote twice with 120 gr Barnes TSX bullets and the coyote ran about 70 yards before it fell over. It had very small exit holes on both shots.

It looks like the GMX only comes in 120 gr in 6.5 mm. If I was going to shoot this type of bullet in the 6.5 Grendel I would want the extra speed of the Barnes 100 gr TTSX.

I agree with the lighter bullet. Since they hold 100% of their weight, you can use a lighter bullet and still get better penetration.

I'm not sure I'd go with a monometal at 6.5G velocities unless I had too legally. I've had such good luck with Hornady SSTs (129s) in my 6.5x55 that I think I'd start there.

Using premium bullets in a rifle with moderate to low velocities is begging for lost game and is a waste of money. There is no reason to use premium bullets in that rifle unless you live some place like California where you have no options. The premiums are made for performance in tough conditions. Those performed as expected on the coyote. There is virtually no resistance with a coyote. Use a bullet fit for the game.

Well, Id have to agree with.. If you dont need to shoot lead free like some of us behind the Iron Curtain in Commifornia have to, I would not pay the extra for minimal, if any gain. Good luck.

I have used both. My Rem 700 in 308 wouldn't shoot the Barnes. but would shoot the Hornady. They hold together and penatrate well. Best of all, they are the least expensive of the two. I suspect the Barnes will hold together just as well. Just depends on which one your rifle will shoot.

I'm a big Barnes fan and have been since the lead free bullet coupon that game and fish provides during the north rim hunts. I first started shooting them in the boys .308 and never had accuracy issues, MOA even with the long jump to the rifling. the other rifles are, 270, 300, 3006. this past hunt I tried a box of Noslers Etip in 168 for the 300, can't tell the difference on paper between the Barnes and Noslers. Recovered bullets look good and hold there wieght too. good luck

I have only tried the GMX 165gr. for the 30-06
and have only put it on paper so far.
But accuracy is not the greatest, best so far is about
1 MOA out of two rifles that shoot .5 MOA with traditional bullets.

Most of these gilding metal bullets are usually picky with their seating depths and speeds. A LOT of load development and tweeking is usually necessary for these loads.

Are y'all seeing lack of blood trail with the barnes bullets? I shot them this past season out of a 7mm Remington Magnum. I had minimal blood trail left after the shot. The deer only went 20-30 yards and absolutely exploded the heart & other vitals. It left a small exit hole. Is tis the norm with these bullets.
I had no problems with accuracy though.

Originally Posted By: daisy2007Are y'all seeing lack of blood trail with the barnes bullets? I shot them this past season out of a 7mm Remington Magnum. I had minimal blood trail left after the shot. The deer only went 20-30 yards and absolutely exploded the heart & other vitals. It left a small exit hole. Is tis the norm with these bullets.
I had no problems with accuracy though.

"You can eat right up to the holes". Small hole in and small hole out, with internal devastation, is pretty much normal for Barnes. I've never had to follow a blood trail using Barnes, as most of the animals drop on the spot. The longest distance an elk has traveled after being hit with a Barnes was maybe 10 steps.

Back