H&R ultra varmint

CDBHunter

Does anyone own one of these rifles? I have heard both good and bad... I would just like a good 300 yard yote gun at an affordable price.

Thanks

buy a remington 700. i own a sps varmint in 22-250 and have no problem hitting beer cans at 300. i also have a sps tactical 223 it is also a great shooter. both guns are around 550.

I have one with 3 barrels. .223 fluted barrel, .243 bull barrel and a regular barrel in 7/.08. Shoots as good as I can shoot.

A buddy of mine has one in 243 he says it shoots great, he also has a slug gun for deer hunting and it keeps a nice group out to 100 yards. He has nothing bad to say about them.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
I would pass on the H&R and get a Stevens Model 200 in .223 or .22-250 Will be every bit as accurate as the Remington 700's for a fraction of the cost. They can be had new for around $300. Or if your wanting to go a bit cheaper, get the Savage Axis. They are about $250 depending where you look. Josh

Originally Posted By: cathntrI would pass on the H&R and get a Stevens Model 200 in .223 or .22-250 Will be every bit as accurate as the Remington 700's for a fraction of the cost. They can be had new for around $300. Or if your wanting to go a bit cheaper, get the Savage Axis. They are about $250 depending where you look. Josh

+1

Chupa

I second the Savage rifles. I owned 2 H&R single shots a 223 and a 22-250. Some of the factory loads would lock up the action on the 22-250 making it extremely difficult to push the lever to open the action. Neither rifle was very accurate compared to the bolt guns.

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: cathntrI would pass on the H&R and get a Stevens Model 200 in .223 or .22-250 Will be every bit as accurate as the Remington 700's for a fraction of the cost. They can be had new for around $300. Or if your wanting to go a bit cheaper, get the Savage Axis. They are about $250 depending where you look. Josh

+1

Chupa

+2

I have a H&R 223 and it shoots like a shotgun at 100 yards. They make the barrels with an extra long throat and it is no friend to shooting accurately.The only thing my H&R 223 barrel is good for is a jack handle if you get a flat!!!!

Originally Posted By: tuneredOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: cathntrI would pass on the H&R and get a Stevens Model 200 in .223 or .22-250 Will be every bit as accurate as the Remington 700's for a fraction of the cost. They can be had new for around $300. Or if your wanting to go a bit cheaper, get the Savage Axis. They are about $250 depending where you look. Josh

+1

Chupa

+2

+3

Here is my take on the H&R single shots. They are cheap, and can be made into decent shooters. It takes some work to get them working acceptably.

The triggers are absolutely horrible, but that can be fixed. Due to the way the forearm and barrel are attached, they will string shots as the barrel heats up. You can do a few things to minimize this, but it will happen.

I own one, and it is a decent shooter. Would I own another, probably not. As others have said, you can pick up the Stevens 200 for just a little more, but will have a MUCH better gun.

I have owned three over the years, all hb. All three would at times open upon firing, not every time. I believe by the design these are hard on scopes just the way they have to be slammed shut. None of the three was a good shooter, the 223 was the best at 1 1/2 on a good day, the 25-06 was a pie plate shooter at best. ed

well i had the .223 varmint hunter and was an accurate gun with hand loads and some work
and i also had a stevens 200 even more accurate gun WITH some work
adjust the trigger and make sure the bbl is floated
i dont know about the savage edges but they look decent too
but the stevens 200 is a good accurate gun BUT is UGLY in stock form the plastic stock is cheesy and needs paint in a bad way
let us know how it works out for you

While my son in law must have gotten lucky with his, it shoots extremely well... he bought it to take on a Prairie Dog shoot a few years ago and up to that point, had never shot anything over 40-50 yards and he was hitting PDs at about 300 yards with his..

That being said and after reading some of the other comments, I would be inclined to go with the Stevens as well, as they seem to have a higher accuracy rate and don't cost much more than the Handi...

My gunsmith friend has a policeman customer that just loves them. He brings them to my smith and he cuts the barrel off in front of the hinge and "stubs" the barrel with a new Douglas.barrel. He claims they shoot really good. To me its like polishing a turd!!

Thanks for all the help! Im glad I came here instead of just going out and buying one. I have been looking at the savage rifles and I think ill take the advice you guys gave me. I will be saving up some more cash as ive decided not to cheap out. Cant wait to get a dedicated coyote gun!

Thanks again. I am really liking this forum.
smile.gif

Last edited:
My handirifle i sold to my bud stacks holes at 100 with factory stuff. You get riseing strings if you shoot fast though. Can cover 5 shot groups with a nickle most of the time

~Bryan

Originally Posted By: Bryan8My handirifle i sold to my bud stacks holes at 100 with factory stuff. You get riseing strings if you shoot fast though. Can cover 5 shot groups with a nickle most of the time

~Bryan

You either got REAL LUCKY or your scope is jumping around. ed

Back