What is more accurate powder scale an Electric scale or a regular scale

I have NO personal experience with this particular question but I would be willing to be that it depends.

A high end (big $) electronic scale is prob just as accurate if not more than a "standard regular" one.

From experience in some other fields, the "fine measurement" tools are a prime example of you get what you pay for!

I'm glad you brought this up because I have wondered this myself. I am using the traditional balance scales and have had no problems with them at all. I hope you get some responses to this.

A beam balance scale is MUCH more accurate and repeatable than ANY except the very expensive digital analytical scales.

I have 3 digitals, a Dillon, an MTM and ?? one. Read the fine print, they all give a plus/minus range...some can be up to 3-5 grains off.

I can weigh sort a run of bullets or cases with the MTM then go back and weigh a random assortment and they ALWAYS get a different weight, within the range always, but still one or two grains off.

The MTM seems to be the most accurate of the three and will repeat plus/minus about 1-2 grains, but checking between my Ohaus balance beam and the other three, they ALL measure the same check weight different. The MTM is 1-3 gr off, the Dillon is 3-4 and the other one is about the same.

I weigh sort my bullets and cases then use the beam balance as the standard for reloading purposes. I've had more than a few surprises over the years by not sticking to the "standard".

Usually as long as you stick to ONE scale and work your loads up with it, you shouldn't have any problems...it's jumping around from one to the other that will get your shorts all twisted up.

AND you need to use a check weight EVERY time you reload, BEFORE you start stuffing powder.

LUCK

Luck

So you need to zero it for every round you load or for each time you are go a be using it? I'm kinda leaning tword a non electric scale now.

Originally Posted By: NFGA beam balance scale is MUCH more accurate and repeatable than ANY except the very expensive digital analytical scales.

I have 3 digitals, a Dillon, an MTM and ?? one. Read the fine print, they all give a plus/minus range...some can be up to 3-5 grains off.

I can weigh sort a run of bullets or cases with the MTM then go back and weigh a random assortment and they ALWAYS get a different weight, within the range always, but still one or two grains off.

The MTM seems to be the most accurate of the three and will repeat plus/minus about 1-2 grains, but checking between my Ohaus balance beam and the other three, they ALL measure the same check weight different. The MTM is 1-3 gr off, the Dillon is 3-4 and the other one is about the same.

I weigh sort my bullets and cases then use the beam balance as the standard for reloading purposes. I've had more than a few surprises over the years by not sticking to the "standard".

Usually as long as you stick to ONE scale and work your loads up with it, you shouldn't have any problems...it's jumping around from one to the other that will get your shorts all twisted up.

AND you need to use a check weight EVERY time you reload, BEFORE you start stuffing powder.

LUCK

Luck

Sooo, your saying your scales are consistantly 3 or 4 grains off? and unrepeatable? Are you using them next to a flourescent light by any chance? Just asking, that is a huge amount to be off.

I have a RCBS electronic, which is the older one made by pact, along with the separate powder dispenser. And I have a Redding balance beam scale. In the last couple years I started cross checking between the two, and after properly calibrating the electronic and balancing the Redding, they are within .1 grain of each other. I've heard the horror stories about the electronics being all over the place, or changing as the loading progressed, but I haven't experienced that at all. Mine has been as good as you could expect it to be. I also turn it on a long time before I plan on using it, instructions say at least a half hour to allow it to warm up.

Personally though I wouldn't have any electronic without a reliable balance beam to verify it against. Too much to go wrong inside that gizmo that you can't see.

I have had a Lyman 1200 DPS 3. I had problems with it not long after I bought it new. It was inconsistant by a big margin. It was taken good care of hence the price I paid for it i.e. it was not abused at all.

My press is mounted away from my table the scale rests on , in fact I have it mounted by bolts through the wall of my den . It does not interfere with the scale at all.

I sent it away to be fixed. I now work out my loads on a RCBS beam scale and after warming up the Lyman I set it up accordingly. I dispense with the Lyman and cross check every tenth round on the beam scale. So far this seems to be working out okay , it is proving to be dispensing accurately.

Well the sportsman warehouse has the Redding beam scale for $69.99 so I think I will just go there this weekend and get one. Thanks for he help I was about to buy a digital scale but Like 204 AR said to much can go wrong with it I just don't wana have to fight it just to be on the safe Side.

I have two digital scales and two balance beams. After calibration they all read within .1 grains. I periodically check them against each other to confirm that every thing is Kosher. I also have a set of weight standards traceable to Bureau of Standards that serve as checks.

So far, I have never had a problem with any of mine but I have seen problems with both types of scales. Many times the environment the scale is used in is the cause of problems. Stray magnetic fields, drafts, and mechanical vibration are the most common causes.

Electronic load cells can fail suddenly or deteriorate over a long period. Stable power sources are necessary for these electronic devices. Unshielded induction fields caused by motors, lighting, etc. are also common problems with some electronic scales. In short, the electronic types are more problematic than mechanical scales.

Don't get me wrong the balance beam types can have their problems too. The more accurate the scale is the more sensitive it will be to conditions around it. Sometime it can be so sensitive that it becomes nearly useless for this application.

Both types of scales are quite usable for weighing powder. My opinion is based on my experience as a Electrical and Mechanical Engineer as well as a reloader since 1960.

I use mostly my electronic scales (RCBS and Dillon) because they are much faster and provide very acceptable accuracy. There is nothing wrong with the standard balance beams, if you can tolerate the extra hassle they require. Some of us old boys have to be carried into the 21st century kicking and screaming before we are ready to change our ways.

Use what ever you are comfortable with and get on with it.

I've used my old Pacific beam scale for about 30 years and it's been perfect. I have checked it against other beam scales and it always works. That being said, I purchased an old RCBS scale/powder dispensor a while back and it hasn't flucuated even a tenth either. When I'm loading for ultimate accuracy, I use my beam scale. When I'm loading for volume, I use my "new" RCBS setup. It's way faster and all the rounds I've checked are within a tenth of my target.
My personal rule is; if I'm loading a cartridge that takes more than 30 grains of powder, I'll use the electronic, as a tenth is not a large percentage of the total. Anything below that, a tenth of a grain will make too big of a difference for me.

I will be taking my time doin all of this it's more of something to do to get away for a bit. I used tie up all kinds of leaders and yarn balls for steelhead fishing but I have about 2000 of them tied up by now so I need something else to keep me buisy in the garage.

I guess I will be sticking to my old balance scales, already used to them and don't load enough to need a faster method, thanks for the info!

There are more accurate electronic scales for weighing powder,
than balance beams. But they are not made by, or for,
companies that sell hand loading equipment. There are some
very accurate and repeatable lab scales that weigh in
grains(and about 10 other units), but they are not cheap. The
one most often found on hand loading benches is made under at
least two brand names, Denver Instruments and Acculab. There
is a good scale test written up here regarding the Denver
Instruments MXX-123:

http://www.6mmbr.com/mxx123test.html

I have one, and would only go back to my balance beam if
I had to load ammo in an extended power outage.

Squeeze

P.S. Jim is correct in that they are fussy about their
power(it must be clean line power), and their environment.
Just about any air movement, or floor vibration, and steady
measurements aren't happening. My 95 lb Chesapeake Bay
Retriever walks by my bench, and the scale starts showing
variations in weight. When she gets to her bed, then the
scale settles back down. There is a price for +/- .02 grain
accuracy.

Originally Posted By: SodakJimI have two digital scales and two balance beams. After calibration they all read within .1 grains. I periodically check them against each other to confirm that every thing is Kosher. I also have a set of weight standards traceable to Bureau of Standards that serve as checks.

So far, I have never had a problem with any of mine but I have seen problems with both types of scales. Many times the environment the scale is used in is the cause of problems. Stray magnetic fields, drafts, and mechanical vibration are the most common causes.

Electronic load cells can fail suddenly or deteriorate over a long period. Stable power sources are necessary for these electronic devices. Unshielded induction fields caused by motors, lighting, etc. are also common problems with some electronic scales. In short, the electronic types are more problematic than mechanical scales.

Don't get me wrong the balance beam types can have their problems too. The more accurate the scale is the more sensitive it will be to conditions around it. Sometime it can be so sensitive that it becomes nearly useless for this application.

Both types of scales are quite usable for weighing powder. My opinion is based on my experience as a Electrical and Mechanical Engineer as well as a reloader since 1960.

I use mostly my electronic scales (RCBS and Dillon) because they are much faster and provide very acceptable accuracy. There is nothing wrong with the standard balance beams, if you can tolerate the extra hassle they require. Some of us old boys have to be carried into the 21st century kicking and screaming before we are ready to change our ways.

Use what ever you are comfortable with and get on with it.

+1

I have only used a electronic scale (RCBS Chargemaster) it has worked very good for over 6 years now. I also have a RCBS Uni-flow and the Chargemaster is alot more accurate.

Back