Will a coyote or a fox or any other animal bark/ howl at distress calls?

I don't know about foxes, but if a coyote is barking or making a few short barks with a howl at your distress call it usually means he's busted you.

Last edited:
usually pretty quiet when they come in. The way i see it, one rabit isnt enough food to share, so they want to get there fast, eat, and go, before somone else gets there, and steals their dinner. jmo.

I have had them do some barking and howling on their way into distress calls....it has only happened a couple times but they started with occasional short howls/barks when they were out a ways and kept doing it all the into where I shot them....So yes, it does happen but not often, usually it means what BradB41 said

The reason I asked is on the way home tonight I pulled over on my road and did a quick session on my ruffidawg Jr. And I heard some short quick barks

Short quick barks like you heard probably meant that you were busted unfortunately. But to answer your question further, yes every once in a while a coyote will vocally respond to distress. Usually in the form of an interrogation howl. When they do that, they're basically asking who's in their territory eating a rabbit? They want to know if it's another coyote or not in their territory eating their groceries. If it is, then there's a great chance that they will arrive shortly to defend their territory and their groceries from an intruder. Usually a challenge back at them in response to their interrogation howl will do the trick. That's been my experience with them in my area and it's worked great every time I've tried it. Hope it helps!!!

!00 yards is nothing. 100 yards to them is like someone sneaking in and walking through your living room when your watching tv. You just might notice them. I have had them bust me walking in over 500 yards away. Had one this full moon out night hunting bust me about 400 yards away when the dome light came on in the truck.

I had one last year bark on the way in. I heard a bark and glassed that direction and saw him at about 600 trotting in. He came right in as planned only to have my buddy miss him at 75 yds (not as planned). Just seconds prior to the bark there was a pack howling about a mile away but he was on a rope seconds after so I can only assume it was in response to the rabbit distress.

Sounds like a coyote busted you for sure. Foxes will sometimes bark on the way in. You can track their movement in thick brush by the location of the bark. Seems to be a territorial thing. But a fox bark sounds NOTHING like a coyote bark.

I had a gray fox barking at me constantly last night while playing distress sounds. He would come in, bark, go back in the woods bark some more, come out. Not possible on winding me as it was blowing 15-20 in my face the whole time with him out in front. And keep repeating, not really staying out long enough for a shot except while in the woods and through to much brush for a 204 to work.

Originally Posted By: Austin419It was a very high pitched yip. That's a fox right?

I hear a bark from the grays like a wet clearing of the throat or cough, with a little bit of a higher pitch.

Back