Giving it up

andrew

Well I have come to the conclusion to give up this sport I live for. Too many problems, mostly, no place to hunt here in N.California. So I will say goodbye to all of you and I thank you guys for all the help you have given me. This is my last post ever, so long.

andrew,
It sounds to me as if there's more going on than meets the eye. If there is no place to hunt in N. Kalifornia, my advice is to move. Heck, there is NO place to hunt around Detroit, so my wife and I are moving to Oregon! If something else is going on, I would call your attention to the fact that you don't know what tomorrow will bring. Just my .02--Ed

Andrew,

I would like to know where you live, and what you consider to be northern California. There is more to the state than San Francisco and Sacramento. There are miles and miles of National Forests and wilderness areas, all public land; plus lots and lots of private ranch and farm land, a good deal of it open to hunting if you just ask.

Andrew I have called a lot in probably the same general area. There are a lot of places but you have to travel for the good ones. Calling over in this area is really tough. Your giving up to easy you gotta have a lot more try than that. It took 2 years for me to get one to even look at me while calling so I shot it and called it my first one called, at a distance of 413 yards my friends thought that was close for a called coyote. I think a lot of the problem in this area is that everyone and his brother takes out a rabbit call gives it a few blows and packs up and goes home after sitting 5 minutes. I know I went out hunting with a few of them. I rarely call here anymore mostly ambush hunt. That is just the way it is. Not to mention that this time of year there is to much food for them to eat, wait until winter and then give it a try. Even better just go over to Nevada your not that far from it. It is so much easier out there.

[This message has been edited by Joe H. in CA (edited 06-29-2001).]

I want to thank you all for caring so much. To answer some of the questions, I am 19, I live in Sacaramento, I like to hunt anything and everything. To Encore223, that area that I have found is boung to become a housing develpement in not so far down the road. I would like to know if all that forest land I drive through on hwy50 and such is o.k. to hunt on. There is alot of people using the woods and some of them would rather see me shot and killed than Bambi, if ya know what I mean. Any California guys out there, I need some help.

Hey Andrew,
Just cause you can't do something right at this moment doesn't mean you should pack it in. You're really young, and you can learn a lot from some of us old dudes. Eventually you will get to put some of the knowledge into practical use. Keep studying the boards, and post your questions. I personally didn't shoot my first coyote until I was well into my forties. Trust me, what seems like impossible when you are 19 can look very possible in a few years. Besides, even if you can't shoot 'em, you can still work 'em and polish up your calling skills.

Man don't ever call it quits bud. being only 19yrs old you have a LONG way and many years to increase your skills and learn even more, and to pass on the fine art of hunting in general to your children you need to explore your areas.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Jason's Gun Room
Quality Custom Gunsmithing http://predatormasters.com/jasongunroom.html
www.LostMountainHunts.com

Andrew,

Fer gosh sakes, get out of town! Get on Highway 50 and get up into the Sierras. If it is National Forest or BLM land it is OK to hunt on. Stop at a district Forest Service office and get some maps. Start looking the country over. You haven't begun to tap the resourses available to you. Don't quit before you even get started.

Thats more like it Andrew. When someone writes that I'm quiting and I won't be back my reaction is basicly, well hes' gone and I won't beg him to come back. But,when you write that you are frustrated, need some help, would like some advice, might have to quite for a while to get an education, a job or a car. Well, then there's room to talk and I will do anything I can to help you along. Hunting is like that, you find an excellent spot to hunt and next thing you know there's a house there or posted signs, you move on and stumble around until another spot opens up to you. Sometimes you loose a job, house or wife and the hunting takes a back seat for a while, we've all gone through that. But never quit, to quit is to give up, to give up is to let the other guy win, don't quit life is to short. Now if your own personal interests change and you find yourself moving on, thats cool, you've simply moved on in life, but you didn't quit.

Michael

Well said Michael, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Andrew, your to young to quit, stick with it. Find someone in your area to take you under their wing and show you some land and tricks. Sooner or later you'll be one of the greats.

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Andrew:

You're a little young to be that frustrated already.
smile.gif
I came back to this predator calling after a 40 year lay-off. Spent a week with John-Henry, bought some open reed calls and a Johnny Stewart, and got after it. This past week, I dazzled six of my fishing buddies (none of them had ever called) by calling in a coyote double up in the Golden Trout Wilderness at 9,000 feet. Closest walked between my friend and the caller - about 25 feet. They were impressed to say the least.

I'm in Fresno and probably no better off than you. John-Henry and I did some driving to get to some of those coyotes in AZ. Hell, when I was 19, we routinely drove that far for the girlies. But then gas wasn't $2.00 a gallon.
biggrin.gif

Hang in there.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Harter (edited 07-02-2001).]

Andrew...

I know it can be real frustrating fer a young guy like yourself to walk into all of the tree hugging "anti" laws, 'specially on Kalifornia.

Might I suggest that being a young strong guy you might look to the farming community, not sure whether there are any near you. But, maybe a weekend drive would be worth it. You may be able to strike a deal by doing some work once in a while and getting the oppotunity to hunt the land.

Check out the Go Go Varmint Go forum, you can get to it by going to the Varmints Den and clicking on "Chat". There are a few California guys there you may be able to hookup with...Yoteman comes to mind. Nice guy too.

Never give up yer sport cuz of the ignorance of others...

Andrew,
Don't bail - you're depressing me and I'm just getting started. I live off of 50 and Bradshaw in Sacramento. I've been hunting for about 10 years now (not consecutively) and still haven't gotten a deer. Only bear I got I had to pay a dog to find for me. But I'm not giving up. No siree. As long as I can hold that fine piece of iron made by Thompson Center and JD Jones, I'm happy - even if I don't see anything. I've had 2 kidney xplants, both shoulders and both hips replaced and I'm only 37. No problem. No place to hunt, now THAT would be a problem. Give it another shot. I'm going out in a couple weeks to call for the first time. Waiting for Mr. Cronk to get me my calls. Then we can compare notes.

Take care,
Steve

Hey Steve,

Welcome aboard!!!! Good luck on getting your first one...deer and coyote! You will always remember those.

Good Hunting,

Bob C>

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

Back