6.5x55 or 6.5-06

TC_WY

Lookin to build a new rifle for hunting. Any opinions on which one is better? Please chime in. It will be used for big game elk, deer mostly.

Both are great, I don't know what is best for you with the limited info provided. For Deer & the occasional Elk, both are fine & we all know about the Swedes & Moose. The differerence is range, I don't mean how far you can hit an Elk as a good rifleman could hit one way out there, but I mean the range that each round has good terminal damage & energy. When both are loaded well the 6.5-06 will give you good Elk killing performance out further, so from just that alone the 6.5-06 wins. But there are other things to consider.

Swede pluses
1. Factory ammo
2. Barrel life
3. Recoil is less, but diff. is small
4. Factory chamberings, at least a few
5. Cheaper to set-up with dies, etc.
6. Better resale in most areas

6.5-06 pluses
1. Flatter trajectory
2. More energy, both have enough, but more at extended yardages.
3. Alot of brass sources with '06 based rounds
4. "Cool factor"

My Wife has used a M96 Sporter for more than 20 years & has taken at least 20
Whitails, a couple of Antelope. I have used it a few times & took a 300# S. AR. Hog
& a nice WT Buck with it as well. I like the 130Accubond alot, right mow I load
the 125 Partition for her with the local AR. hunts.

As a side note, I recently bought a Lipsey Number 1 in 264WM. I plan on using it next
fallin WY for Antelope & Mule Deer. My 25-06 AI Sendero is jealous, but just had to
have a new toy.

Last edited:
The 6.5x284 has a shorter barrel life. From the two you list I like the 6.5x55. I planned on building one a while back but now Im thinking 6.5 creedmore on the action and barrel.

I have a 6.5-06 and have used it for coyotes and deer. I love the cartridge. I use 25-06 brass and Redding dies (RCBS dies worked great as well). I would have another one built in a heartbeat. Everyone that shoots the rifle talks about how mild the recoil is and how accurate it shoots. Can't go wrong with the '06 in my book.

If elk are concerned, bigger-better-faster applies. Elk are not impressed with kinetic energy anyways, so whack 'em as hard as you can!

I'd go with a 6.5-284 or a 6.5mm-06 and add an AI. The 40° shoulder will increase case capacity and eliminate the need to trim your cases.

6.5 Gibbs is in the ballpark too. Check it out.

Personally, I am eyeballing a 6.5 WSM.

Thanks so far. I love the 25-06 it is my absolute favorite round. FUN, FAST, and ACCURATE. I think the SWEDE on a 700 action will shoot lights out.

I like anything 6.5. If you didn't want to do a build I beleive Remington offered this a while back. Should be some floating around.

The 6.5x55 would be my choice. My rifle takes Hornady 129 gr SPs to 2950 fps with no pressure signs and is the most accurate load I found with IMR 4350. That's not too far behind the 270 Win with a 130 gr pill.

Just my 0.02..

The Swedes did it right the first time around. The 6.5x55 is perhaps the perfect deer round at any sensible range. No 6.5 is perfect for elk. It will do the trick, but range will always be a consideration. Owning 6.5x55, .260 Rem, 6.5x284 and .264WM I really don't know that the fastest kills any better than the slowest.

The Swede has CLASS on its side. When asked what your shooting, just say Swede. The cartridge holds as near to universal respect as anything out there.

The Swede would be my choice as well. In a modern action you can
hotrod them up to modern pressures. You will never make up the 10
grains less case capacity of the 06 but if you feel you need it you might as well
go to the 06 AI. The heavy 6.5's (up to 160's) just seem to do a great job
of killing game. A 1:8 twist barrel would be my only prerequisite in any 6.5.

Last edited:
I should have said, Remington chambered 6.5X55 on a 700 action.

My Swede likes a 140gr Sierra with IMR 4350 for hunting.

I'm new to this posting thing.

In my youth I would have gone where your going, in fact that's why I have a 25-06. The old 257 Roberts wasn't enough for sagebrush country shooting so I had it rechambered.

But I've read too much of the old gun writers like Elmer Keith, and I've the iching to shoot "slow and heavy" instead of "fast and light". I love ballistics but to me the 35 Whelen (35-06) sounds about perfect for Elk, Moose and Bear. Fits the same actions, same magazines, feeds well, packs a wallop. I just don't have the cash to try it out.

Last edited:
TC- SEEingg what you already have ;if i were in wyo i would get a remington sendero in 7mmmag. i have two. BUT i have two in 6.5-284 too. awesome . i would get the 6.5-284 . lapua brass available

I vote 6.5 X 55 on a modern action.

Better barrel life. Lapua brass at almost half the price of the 6.5 X 284.

Mike

Thanks one and all. The SWEDE is the winner. I got a brand new 30-06 complete gun that is gonna get a face lift now.

Back