Democrats (Teachers) Behaving Badly

By the by, here in Wisconsin school boards are elected people from the community. Most are, or have been, employed in the private sector. Some of the most incompetent fools I've ever seen when it comes to education and business. I mean real education, not what the government hands down. I wouldn't be surprised of some of the posters here are school board members. Good job guys.

Originally Posted By: redeyeddawgOriginally Posted By: jeffoGreat news! Many teachers in my district received layoff notices yesterday! I know that'll make you guys happy.

They brought it on themselves.

God bless you.

Originally Posted By: NM LeonWhile it's true that the choice to home-school is a matter of priorities, often there's not much choice involved.

A very common occurrence is that young couples have debt that was incurred before they had kids to choose a type of schooling for.

If you have gone to college and accumulated student loan debt for instance, you may not have a realistic option of not working to teach your children.

If a young couple buys a house, not planning on a family for a few years, they come up pregnant now and still need both incomes to pay their mortgage, in today's market they may not realistically have the option of selling their house and getting into something they can afford on a single income.

Then of course there are the many parents who are not capable of teaching their kids, because they themselves are functionally illiterate, being products of the government schools.

You hate to be wrong don't you? And by your own people.

Originally Posted By: redeyeddawgOriginally Posted By: jeffo
God bless you.

HE does every day. Just one more reason I don't need a union...

Then you have nothing to complain about - so why are you?

I am sensing a bit of bitterness here....it would be nice if you actually responded with some sort of actual data rather than just popping on and trying to insult people...people might actually take you seriously if you didn't come off as a brainwashed,liberal,union jackass everytime you had something to say. Just my .02

Originally Posted By: jinxed247I am sensing a bit of bitterness here....it would be nice if you actually responded with some sort of actual data rather than just popping on and trying to insult people...people might actually take you seriously if you didn't come off as a brainwashed,liberal,union jackass everytime you had something to say. Just my .02

Have you been reading the posts? I'm insulting people!?! What data would you like? Some cut-and-paste crap or stupid cartoons? It would be nice if folks on here would actually start thinking for themselves. Not holding my breath though. And no matter what data I provide, it's not going to change anyone's mind here. That's brainwashing, my friend, the inability to see other points of view no matter what. I'm just having fun with a friendly debate. Why the insults?

jeffo, I don't like to see teachers get fired either. I don't know which district in WI you are in, but the Sauk Prairie School District is not letting teachers go willynilly. They are taking this opportunity to get rid of teachers and administration that perform sub-standard work, take too many uexscused absences and other poor work habits. Do not for a minute think that ALL teachers are against this legislation. I for one am for it. You only need fear for your job if A) You don't care about your work ethic, B) you just teach the bare minimum to ensure your students a passing grade and C) you only went into teaching for three reasons..June, July and August.

Originally Posted By: SuperCavScoutjeffo, I don't like to see teachers get fired either. I don't know which district in WI you are in, but the Sauk Prairie School District is not letting teachers go willynilly. They are taking this opportunity to get rid of teachers and administration that perform sub-standard work, take too many uexscused absences and other poor work habits. Do not for a minute think that ALL teachers are against this legislation. I for one am for it. You only need fear for your job if A) You don't care about your work ethic, B) you just teach the bare minimum to ensure your students a passing grade and C) you only went into teaching for three reasons..June, July and August.

I respect this post. It makes sense, is lucid, and seems to come from someone who can think. I know not all teachers are against this bill. Parts of it make sense. I don't fear for my job because of A, B, and C. My point is the bill as a whole, and Walker's refusal to even discuss it, are detrimental to hard working teachers and other workers who bust their a$$ daily for the sake of other people's kids. Thank you.

I am just saying that you can't spout quotes from somebody that teaches at Berkley in CA. That's not exactly the area you want to be quoting from, especially since Pelosi hails from that neck of the woods. Try findng a neutral source. Angry typing only leads to a hurt feelings report and I really hate getting one of those.
I actually had a long conversation (via facebook) with one of my wifes friends (who is also a diehard union member and still a friend of the family) about unions. Her argument to me was that if it wasn't for their union then we (meaning me and my wife) wouldn't have the nice things that we do because their union was able to get them higher wages. My response to her was why should our neighbors and friends who are not union members, be forced to bear the brunt of their benefits when people can barely make ends meet with the bills and taxes that they have as well as saving for their own retirement. She didn't have an answer for that.
How can you justify leeching off the backs of others for stuff that they don't have access too as well as helping banckrupt a state? If it were me I don't think that I would be able to sleep at night. If my wife had a choice she wouldn't belong to a union but in order for her to work in her profession she has to or she can't work in NYS? How is dening somebody with all of the skills and work ethic that an employer would love, the oppurtunity to work simply for the fact that you don't belong to a union? Why should I pay some guy/girl 150 dollars and hour to do a job that somebody who is non-union would only charge 50 dollars an hour? Both meet the requirements and are equally skilled but because one belongs to a union they get the job and the other doesn't because he doesn't belong to a union. How is that fair?

Originally Posted By: jeffoOriginally Posted By: jinxed247I am sensing a bit of bitterness here....it would be nice if you actually responded with some sort of actual data rather than just popping on and trying to insult people...people might actually take you seriously if you didn't come off as a brainwashed,liberal,union jackass everytime you had something to say. Just my .02

Have you been reading the posts? I'm insulting people!?! What data would you like? Some cut-and-paste crap or stupid cartoons? It would be nice if folks on here would actually start thinking for themselves. Not holding my breath though. And no matter what data I provide, it's not going to change anyone's mind here. That's brainwashing, my friend, the inability to see other points of view no matter what. I'm just having fun with a friendly debate. Why the insults? Brainwashing? How ironic coming from a pro union member.

Unions had their day when pay scales were against some employment markets; be it private or public sectors. That is not the case anymore. Those in the public sector unions had the additional benefit of having politicians in their pockets - like shiny dimes to "negotiate" their comp packages using other peoples' money and they fed off the seemingly unending cash flow, demanding more & more.
Times are tough folks, time to tip the scales back a bit to parity with the private sector and stop the goon tactics and join the club..no guarantees, pay for performance, employee at will etc.

NB: a Massport hack just retired with $500,000 in SICK pay accured over his years of hacking. oh along with 80% of his last salary for life and whatever else he socked away via ROTH plans, IRA etc.

IMHO

T2G

Originally Posted By: jeffoOriginally Posted By: jinxed247I am sensing a bit of bitterness here....it would be nice if you actually responded with some sort of actual data rather than just popping on and trying to insult people...people might actually take you seriously if you didn't come off as a brainwashed,liberal,union jackass everytime you had something to say. Just my .02

Have you been reading the posts? I'm insulting people!?! What data would you like? Some cut-and-paste crap or stupid cartoons? It would be nice if folks on here would actually start thinking for themselves. Not holding my breath though. And no matter what data I provide, it's not going to change anyone's mind here. That's brainwashing, my friend, the inability to see other points of view no matter what. I'm just having fun with a friendly debate. Why the insults?

jeffo, what data would you like? facts dont seem to matter to you.
fact, spending on education has doubled since 1971
fact, wisconsin ranks 44th in the nation
fact, the US ranks 7th? world wide
these facts were posted earlier,, with links, yet you choose to ignore them. why? what more do you want? some liberal, happy, touchy, feelgood bs?

Quote:The bigger problem I'm seeing is people can't differentiate between teachers who belong to a union...and the higher level union execs.

Well no jeffo, most people CAN'T differentiate between teachers who SUPPORT their union, and the union execs. You are apparently a willing union member (not all teachers in WI are), so what's your beef?

Quote:You hate to be wrong don't you? And by your own people.

I assume you are trying to say I'm wrong about something, but you'll have to explain it.

Quote:By the by, here in Wisconsin school boards are elected people from the community. Most are, or have been, employed in the private sector. Some of the most incompetent fools I've ever seen when it comes to education and business.

Yep, if it's not the parents, its the school board. Oh, wait a minute, you helped those school board members to get elected by contributing to their campaign didn't you.

http://elections.state.wi.us/financereport.asp

http://www.aft-wisconsin.org/Political/CopeAnnualReport2010.pdf

Of course since you and all your public union brothers and sisters are paid with taxpayer money, and since union dues are mandatory in WI, every taxpayer in WI contributed to their campaigns whether they supported them or not.

Whether a taxpayer agrees with them or not, your union uses all taxpayer's money (your dues) to finance the election of your bosses and the people who will then "negotiate" your contracts.

As the links above show, the unions don't just contribute to national candidates, all over the country they contribute taxpayer originated funds to campaigns down to the local level, including school boards.

See the problem here jeffo?

Quote:I mean real education, not what the government hands down.

If you believe that what the government hands down isn't "real education", then I would assume you would support privatizing the entire system through vouchers and tax credits, right?

The public school system is by definition "what the government hands down".

Quote:My point is the bill as a whole, and Walker's refusal to even discuss it, are detrimental to hard working teachers and other workers who bust their a$$ daily for the sake of other people's kids.

Well I would certainly hope so, since the system all those hard working folks are employed in has been delivering terrible results for decades, all the while costing the taxpayers more and more money, whether they want their kids in it or not.

Originally Posted By: sweatybettyOriginally Posted By: jeffoOriginally Posted By: jinxed247I am sensing a bit of bitterness here....it would be nice if you actually responded with some sort of actual data rather than just popping on and trying to insult people...people might actually take you seriously if you didn't come off as a brainwashed,liberal,union jackass everytime you had something to say. Just my .02

jeffo, what data would you like? facts dont seem to matter to you.
fact, spending on education has doubled since 1971
fact, wisconsin ranks 44th in the nationfact, the US ranks 7th? world wide
these facts were posted earlier,, with links, yet you choose to ignore them. why? what more do you want? some liberal, happy, touchy, feelgood bs?

And I asked twice, 44th in what? Here's a FACT I posted before, just for example.

2009 State Sat Scores

Rate Reading Math Writing Total
1 Iowa 3% 610 615 588 1813
2 Wisconsin 5% 594 608 582 1784
3 Minnesota 7% 595 609 578 1782
4 Missouri 5% 595 600 584 1779
5 Illinois 6% 588 604 583 1775
6 Michigan 5% 584 603 575 1762
7 South Dakota 3% 589 600 569 1758
8 Nebraska 4% 587 594 572 1753
9 North Dakota 3% 590 593 566 1749
10 Kansas 7% 581 589 564 1734
11 Kentucky 7% 573 573 561 1707
12 Oklahoma 5% 575 571 557 1703
13 Tennessee 10% 571 565 565 1701
14 Arkansas 5% 572 572 556 1700
15 Colorado 20% 568 575 555 1698
16 Wyoming 5% 567 568 550 1685
17 Mississippi 4% 567 554 559 1680
18 Louisiana 7% 563 558 555 1676
19 Alabama 7% 557 552 549 1658
20 Utah 6% 559 558 540 1657
21 New Mexico 11% 553 546 534 1633
22 Ohio 22% 537 546 523 1606
23 Montana 22% 541 542 519 1602
24 Idaho 18% 541 540 520 1601
25 Washington 53% 524 531 507 1563
26 New Hampshire 75% 523 523 510 1557
27 Massachusetts 84% 514 526 510 1551
28 Oregon 52% 523 525 499 1548
29 Vermont 64% 518 518 506 1543
30 Connecticut 83% 509 513 512 1535
31 Arizona 26% 516 521 497 1534
32 Alaska 46% 520 516 492 1528
33 Virginia 68% 511 512 498 1522
34 California 49% 500 513 498 1511
35 West Virginia 18% 511 501 499 1511
36 New Jersey 76% 496 513 496 1506
37 Maryland 69% 500 502 495 1498
38 Rhode Island 66% 498 496 494 1489
39 North Carolina 63% 495 511 480 1487
40 Nevada 42% 501 505 479 1485
41 Indiana 63% 496 507 480 1484
42 Delaware 71% 495 498 484 1478
43 Pennsylvania 71% 493 501 483 1478
44 Florida 59% 497 498 480 1476
45 Texas 51% 486 506 475 1468
46 New York 85% 485 502 478 1466
47 Georgia 71% 490 491 479 1461
48 South Carolina 67% 486 496 470 1453
49 Hawaii 58% 479 502 469 1451
50 Maine 90% 468 467 455 1391
51 DC 79% 466 451 461 1379
All Students 46% 501 515 493 1509
Source: College Board and various news services Rate: Student Population Rate as reported by www.collegeboard.com

Originally Posted By: NM LeonQuote:The bigger problem I'm seeing is people can't differentiate between teachers who belong to a union...and the higher level union execs.

Well no jeffo, most people CAN'T differentiate between teachers who SUPPORT their union, and the union execs. You are apparently a willing union member (not all teachers in WI are), so what's your beef?

Quote:You hate to be wrong don't you? And by your own people.

I assume you are trying to say I'm wrong about something, but you'll have to explain it.

Quote:By the by, here in Wisconsin school boards are elected people from the community. Most are, or have been, employed in the private sector. Some of the most incompetent fools I've ever seen when it comes to education and business.

Yep, if it's not the parents, its the school board. Oh, wait a minute, you helped those school board members to get elected by contributing to their campaign didn't you.

http://elections.state.wi.us/financereport.asp

http://www.aft-wisconsin.org/Political/CopeAnnualReport2010.pdf

Of course since you and all your public union brothers and sisters are paid with taxpayer money, and since union dues are mandatory in WI, every taxpayer in WI contributed to their campaigns whether they supported them or not.

Whether a taxpayer agrees with them or not, your union uses all taxpayer's money (your dues) to finance the election of your bosses and the people who will then "negotiate" your contracts.

As the links above show, the unions don't just contribute to national candidates, all over the country they contribute taxpayer originated funds to campaigns down to the local level, including school boards.

See the problem here jeffo?

Quote:I mean real education, not what the government hands down.

If you believe that what the government hands down isn't "real education", then I would assume you would support privatizing the entire system through vouchers and tax credits, right?

The public school system is by definition "what the government hands down".

Quote:My point is the bill as a whole, and Walker's refusal to even discuss it, are detrimental to hard working teachers and other workers who bust their a$$ daily for the sake of other people's kids.

Well I would certainly hope so, since the system all those hard working folks are employed in has been delivering terrible results for decades, all the while costing the taxpayers more and more money, whether they want their kids in it or not.

Not my beef. You started this thread. This whole thing is getting pretty boring though.

Originally Posted By: jinxed247I am just saying that you can't spout quotes from somebody that teaches at Berkley in CA. That's not exactly the area you want to be quoting from, especially since Pelosi hails from that neck of the woods. Try findng a neutral source. Angry typing only leads to a hurt feelings report and I really hate getting one of those.
I actually had a long conversation (via facebook) with one of my wifes friends (who is also a diehard union member and still a friend of the family) about unions. Her argument to me was that if it wasn't for their union then we (meaning me and my wife) wouldn't have the nice things that we do because their union was able to get them higher wages. My response to her was why should our neighbors and friends who are not union members, be forced to bear the brunt of their benefits when people can barely make ends meet with the bills and taxes that they have as well as saving for their own retirement. She didn't have an answer for that.
How can you justify leeching off the backs of others for stuff that they don't have access too as well as helping banckrupt a state? If it were me I don't think that I would be able to sleep at night. If my wife had a choice she wouldn't belong to a union but in order for her to work in her profession she has to or she can't work in NYS? How is dening somebody with all of the skills and work ethic that an employer would love, the oppurtunity to work simply for the fact that you don't belong to a union? Why should I pay some guy/girl 150 dollars and hour to do a job that somebody who is non-union would only charge 50 dollars an hour? Both meet the requirements and are equally skilled but because one belongs to a union they get the job and the other doesn't because he doesn't belong to a union. How is that fair?

How can you justify such an ignorant statement?

Originally Posted By: redeyeddawgAmerican Thinker nails it again. Jeffo, take a few precious minutes from grading papers, read the linked article and THINK it through. Please show us where the author is incorrect.

Care to address this jeffo?

Ummm...let's see....maybe because it's based in reality? It's not like I wrote a 500 word response, picked out one sentence of the whole thing and chose that to respond to. And when I did respond to that one sentence rather than dispute it with facts, I instead went straight for the ol' insult button.
Oh wait jeffo, you beat me to it. [beeep], you are good! (end sarcasm)

Back