Build or Buy?

creekchub

Hello i am kicking around the idea of getting a AR in .204 the decision i have to make is do i really want to build one or purchase one already built. i am looking to get a flat top predator style. suggestions on good the bad and the stay away from greatly appreciated! oh and i would like to keep it in the 800.00 range or less if possible

Last edited:
Having done both and watching the prices of different components, I will offer my advice. The most economical and with greatest return would be to purchase a lower receiver and parts kit and butt stock and put it together yourself. Then obtain an assembled upper from one of the wonderful suppliers that are on this board. That way you have the experience of assembling the lower and the accuracy of the upper from someone who knows his craft.

Yep if you already have a lower just buy the upper complete as it getting harder to build a upper for cheaper then you can buy! If you already own a AR you could always just buy the .204 barrel and swap them around! (Assuming your gas length is the same).

The nice thing about building your own is you get everything the exact way you want it from the get go. Also don't forget you will need tool to put it all together.

Like Idaho said, I have found it best to buy the upper and build the lower. But You are going to find it difficult to get anything but a model 1 .204 with the budget you are looking for. Save a couple hundred more and get one you will not regret. You might see another post on here from today about someone wishing they had spent a little more and got a custom. Buy quality and cry once...(per rifle of course, cause you can't buy just one lol)

From my experience, complete uppers from one of our sponsors are not all that much more than factory ones.. doint your own lower is fun/challenging your first time and well worth it. IMO just do what your gut tells you and you won't be dissapointed..

Originally Posted By: ricky_arthurLike Idaho said, I have found it best to buy the upper and build the lower. But You are going to find it difficult to get anything but a model 1 .204 with the budget you are looking for. Save a couple hundred more and get one you will not regret. You might see another post on here from today about someone wishing they had spent a little more and got a custom. Buy quality and cry once...(per rifle of course, cause you can't buy just one lol)

Good advise. If you already have an AR or another gun you like then run that till you can order the perfect upper from one of the custom AR builders on the forum. A .204 doesn't seem to be an improvement over the .223 for me, but if you really want one wait till you can afford one what you want so you don't have to settle.

If you don't build it or have it built you will spend more $. How fo I know?......... You will end up building one eventually.

I never understood this black rifle thing, then I had Dtech build me a 204. Now I have five black rifles and four of them are custom built...... They are also my favorite guns now.

Before this sickness came on I was a bolt gun guy. I don't know how I got it!

Build lower yourself and buy a completely built upper would save the 10% excise tax (it may be more than 10%, I cannot remember the exact number) over buying the entire gun. On top of that you get to pick and choose components as others already pointed out.

My advice,,,get someplace,range,big gun store,,where you can handle a few of em,to help you decide what you like.

I just finished my fifth AR tonight,A 90% M%P 15 Smith....With a RGUNS stainless lower parts kit(these are nice and priced right by the way).

You should be able to build for well under 800 bucks,,,unless you want a 300 dollar stock,,or a 500 dollar barrel.

I can build complete right now as low as 460 bucks,,,and i can tweak said set up to minute of coyote,,without a problem.

Another route would be BHW complete 223 upper at 499.00 and a built lower for less than 200 also.

X

You can't go wrong with a Model 1 upper for your first build. You can get the whole kit minus the stripped lower and be done for a minute. Build it, shoot it then start trying out the customs builds the sponsors on here are creating. It is alomost 10 months since my first build. I love and it is a shooter, but I want more. I am ready to get a custom upper from these guys. I just don't know where to start. I love the .204 caliber but also need the .358 for the next IN deer season.

DTech(Mike) where are you?

If someone was to build their own by buying a complete upper and assembling their own lower can lowers make or break a guns accuracy?

So say I get Scott to build me an upper and i just bought a plum crazy lower with basic parts (a decent trigger i wont skimp on the trigger) would the gun still be pretty accurate?

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: RetooferabYes!

Which question were you answering, lol?
huh.gif
yes which one

So say I get Scott to build me an upper and i just bought a plum crazy lower with basic parts (a decent trigger i wont skimp on the trigger) would the gun still be pretty accurate? [/quote]

YES!

The main function of the lower is to trigger the firing pin and hold the magazine,........ And give you a way to shoulder the firearm. The upper is the biggest key other than the shooter to accuracy!

Originally Posted By: the noobieIf someone was to build their own by buying a complete upper and assembling their own lower can lowers make or break a guns accuracy?

So say I get Scott to build me an upper and i just bought a plum crazy lower with basic parts (a decent trigger i wont skimp on the trigger) would the gun still be pretty accurate?

It would probably be very accurate. I was shooting a Plumb Crazy lower and a cheap JSE surplus upper and was putting bullet on bullet at 50yrds before I started freezing too much to shoot well. So with a good upper like one from SD you would probably be shooting super tight groups. I would worry about the balance of the gun unless you talked with Scott and figured out how to make sure the forward weight of the barrel wouldn't make the gun feel like it was trying to aim at the ground.

Back