Coyotes in Iraq!?

jinxed247

Does anybody know if there are coyotes in Iraq? I swear I hear them every night and to my great surprise when I was going out to our motorpool area I saw one. I immediately stopped the truck and pointed it out to my two pax and said,"Is that a freakin' coyote?" They both thought that it was. If it wasn't it was definately in the same family! Talk about picture perfect for a coyote...the coloration,features were unmistakeable. Man i wish I had a camera!!
Too bad my 1st Sgt and CO won't let me shoot them! Could you imagine me sitting outside the wire in full battle rattle calling in coyotes? That would actually rock!
I may have my wife send me some of my coyote calls so that I can see how close I can get them in...maybe even improvise a bow of some sort...hmmmmm...the trouble i could get myself into would probably almost be worth it!!
I know this will sound stupid but that sighting actually pumped me up big time! Man I would love to get an Iraqi coyote! Talk about the bragging rights back home! If anybody has any info (I will also do some research) that would be greatly appreciated!

I was there twice and there was wild dogs everywhere. Not the coyote wild type, but dog wild type, like strays. I have seen foxes near the canals and hedgehogs, but never any coyotes.

I have seen some really long eared rabbits over here too...but man if you would have seen this you would have said coyote instantly...it looked exactly like the coyote in my profile pic-minus the bushy tail. I know that there are strays everywhere here but this dog/coyote was just watching us and when it started trotting away it kept it's tail down and did that unmistakeable low slink and hop (i barked at it to get it to stop-my pax thought I was crazy!). It just might be a wild stray but if you would have seen him out hunting in the states I am 100% sure that all coyote hunters would have shot him.

Not coyotes, golden jackals. I called them and hyenas during my 3 years there.

The jackals look amazingly like coyotes, except the adult jackal ears are so long they look like coyote pup "bat" ears.

The hyenas are very good looking with grey/silver/blue fur, and not the mangy looking things like you see in African shows.

Be careful though, they have no fear of humans since we don't hunt them, and rabies is endemic.

Golden_jackal.jpg

golden-jackal_2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!! I actually just found that info out on wiki and when I saw the pic that was definately it. Still has me pumped though...I am just wondering how the heck it got into our perimeter? But being gone so long from home and I was instantly pumped on seeing something coyote like...hmmm now I am thinking...I have already become known around here as the guy that snares rats..I will post a pic if I can later....hmmmmmm...thanks for the info!

Originally Posted By: NM LeonNot coyotes, golden jackals. I called them and hyenas during my 3 years there.

The jackals look amazingly like coyotes, except the adult jackal ears are so long they look like coyote pup "bat" ears.

The hyenas are very good looking with grey/silver/blue fur, and not the mangy looking things like you see in African shows.

Be careful though, they have no fear of humans since we don't hunt them, and rabies is endemic.

Golden_jackal.jpg

golden-jackal_2.jpg

I was looking at the pictures you posted and the only difference is that the one I saw had a shorter tail...maybe got chewed on? But spot on with everything else...no wonder I was fooled!!

Those Jackals look a tad more fox like to my eye, but I am at home and not in a strange land where dangers would be a focus more than a scavenging canine. I thank you for your service and keeping me safe from even worry of my safety.

Jinx
Stay safe over there,and dont shoot one,the Obama Administration will have up for a war crime.Do they still let you shoot at the enemy?Or do you have to get permission?

Last edited:
From a hundred yards or so, I could see how a person could mistake one for having an IED on its back. You would have no choice but to shoot it then and file a detailed incedent report on this site.

"The wire" doesn't even slow them down. They'll go over hescos and through concertina like it wasn't there.

They do look kind of foxy I guess, except they are 25 lbs or so (same size as our western coyotes).

They may be able to dictate not shooting them BUT you can still try to take pictures. They would make a good sovuner of your time there. Yes, a pelt would be nicer.

I am sure I heard that yotes in Iraq have rags on there heads LOL. You guys over there, Thank You For Your Service so the rest of us can be FREE. Be carefull and stay safe my friend.----Riflemann

Back