How long would you leave a bobcat cage trap in one place without success?

grizjack

Hey everyone! I'm new to the trapping game and I've gotten started. I have some excellent looking setups that I think should really be great for catching cats. One of them has produced my first bobcat! (story to come later when I'm not so tired) But on the other setups I haven't had any sign of cats. My question is: How long should a person stick a set before they pull it and try somewhere else? I'm trying to be patient but I also don't want to waste my season. Is there a rule of thumb to go by? I'd love to hear from anybody with knowledge on the subject. The next question is an ethical one. With my successful location, how many cats should I attempt to take in a season? I don't want to wipe out a spot but also have no idea how many I can take without impacting the population. Not that I really have to concern myself with this question seeing that I have only caught one cat but just curious about what the standard is. Look forward to hearing from everyone.

I might also add that I have to use live traps in my state and can't afford to buy enough traps to just leave them all over the place.

I leave mine set for a week or if it looks like a really good spot I might leave it for a little longer than that.If I don't catch anything after that I'll move it to a different spot.I've only been trapping for aout 4 years so I can't say I'm that experienced but I've caught a few cats so I know that what I do will work.Someone that has been trapping for a lot longer than I have might tell you to keep them in one spot for longer than that but I leave my traps in one spot for at least a week.It helps if you know that a bobcat is in the area that you have your trap set.It might take the cat a few days to find it but more times than not it'll make it's way back to where you have your trap set.

Thanks for the response. My grand total of one cat was caught on day 9 at my set but I agree that a week seems about right. Although I have no real experience to base this on. I guess trial and error/experience is the best teacher. Thanks again for your input.

If it looks like a good spot I would leave them longer, even up to 3 or 4 weeks, remember a bobcat can have a 20 mile range, or they might be in the area and have a huge food source, all depends on how many traps you have out and how good the area looks.

I'd say that's good advice.I have heard that some bobcats have a range of 20 miles.But I figured that they would only move once the food source where they were currently huntin ran low.I don't know that for a fact though I just assumed that's how it worked.So if a spot looks good it would make sense to maybe leave it that long.Because it might take the cat a while to get back to the area that your trap is set.

I've had one of my traps set in the same spot for over two weeks now I'm guessin.I can't remember exactly when I set it out there but I know that it took 5 or 6 days before I had anything go for the bait.The reason it's still out there is because this bobcat is pretty tricky.It goes in and drags the bait out and sets the trap off on it's way out the door.I ended up wiring the bait to the back of the trap.But I also knew that a bobcat was there because I saw the cat a day before I set my trap.If you see a bobcat or signs that a bobcat is in the area it shouldn't be long and it'll find your trap.Or at least that's the way it's turned out for me most of the time.The fastest I ever caught one was the day after I set my trap.But again I also knew the bobcat was there.But leaving your trap in an area for alot longer than a week does make alot of sense.

Hey griz where you caught your cat leave that trap where it was a tom should be by next time your out. Also I set my traps the same place year after year, I leave most in the same place for the whole season 90 days. If i find a place that a cat is running a lot I will move to that location. I have never had problems with them not being around for the most part, although if you catch several as in 4-5 then I would find a new place a few miles away to set, and let them filter back in. Just my thoughts, wish you continued luck.

Just sharing my somewhat limited experience- Last year I set where I knew there was a cat and caught him on the second night out-big tom. It took all season, 90 days or so, before another cat came though (by the tracks, I had already pulled the cage out). If the area looks "catty" leave the traps, if you are into quicker action, set up on sign.
Personally, I catch I my cats on private land, so I can "manage" them a bit. I won't take more than one adult female out of a draw (these are big draws, spaced miles apart), adult males are all fair game. If I were set up on public ground all adult cats would be kept.

If you only have a limited amount of traps you need to move them to the hottest spots and get them most bang for you buck, If you have lots of traps you can leave them a litlle longer and wait for the cat to come by sooner of later it will produce,
we have one trap that I can see from my house with a spotting scope left it in the same place for 8 weeks with nothing, it is way high on a clif and not fun to get to so we always just leave it. But one day caught a big tom and then one female and two more males 4 days 4 cats.

Originally Posted By: Super White HunterIf you only have a limited amount of traps you need to move them to the hottest spots and get them most bang for you buck, If you have lots of traps you can leave them a litlle longer and wait for the cat to come by sooner of later it will produce,
we have one trap that I can see from my house with a spotting scope left it in the same place for 8 weeks with nothing, it is way high on a clif and not fun to get to so we always just leave it. But one day caught a big tom and then one female and two more males 4 days 4 cats.

You just never know about cats there one day gone the next. I spend a considerable amount of time watching tracks, it allows me to know how many are in an area, I set the most desireable areas and wait them out most of the time, as mentioned above I will chase a few if they are staying close to the same place. But just as Super says you can get a roll on them at times, which is usually in the last 2 weeks in Feb.

when you guys figure this one out please pm me...

hahahaha

there is no right answer.. there is not mostly right answer... there is not even a "somewhat right" answer

cats are cats.. du end!

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I'm trapping public lands and work 2 weeks then off 2 weeks so I pull the traps and I'll put them back as soon as I'm off work again. I'll go ahead and put the trap that I caught a cat in back in the same place, and the trap that I set on old cat tracks I'll put back but I think the other 2 will get put in new spots. Hopefully I'll have a little more luck before the season ends.

Not sure if this helps, but I know a guy who traps public land and leaves his traps out all year. In the off season he wires the doors so they won't close. Every now and again he throws a little fresh bait in, gets the cats used to comming and going. When season rolls around he unwires the door. if you feel safe enough where you trap to leave your stuff out you might try something like that.

I usually leave mine out for about 3 weeks. On a side not I always set on fresh sign and usually have a cat within the first 7-10 days.

Well unfortunately I'll have to work until the 25th so I don't expect I'll get a chance to take my traps back out and set them up. Season ends 3 days after I get off work so I guess I'll have to sit on all the great advice until next year. But Thanks everybody! I'll share my success with everyone next year!

Back