All purpose Caliber

I'm with the guys that say 1 or 3 of each. I have most of the above mentioned minus the 204, but have a 17 REM and a 220swift. Two 223's, two 22-250's and a 221FB. Even a 6PPC but it really isn't set up as a hunter. I couldn't tolerate just 1 rifle, let alone one 22 Cal.

While I have a couple of .204s and several .223s,,, If I were restricted to one caliber for all those chores, the nod would have to go to a .223 as it will shoot the light weight bullets at a pretty good clip for better than average trajectories, and handle the heavier bullets for distance and larger targets...with good results...

I love my .204s, but they do have their limitations and some try to push past that and then complain about performance..

With my .223s, I can adjust my loads for the purpose intended and still keep a reasonable amount of accuracy, or fine tune them for maximum accuracy....204s are much more finicky about accurate loads...

And if you can't hit your target, why are you pulling the trigger..???

For me my go to gun is a Savage 12FSS in 7-08 . This is a stainless gun , synthetic stock with blind magazine, and bushnell 3200 3X9 .The 7-08 can be loaded with 120 to 150 gr bullets and for me this covers crows to hogs with my main target being yotes. Easy to load and recoil is minimal .Everybody that has one that I know loves it. I would say 243 is my number 2 and I only use 100gr bullets.

Since fox is on the list that makes my choice a 223, if fox was not on the list a 22-250 or 243 would be my choice. ed

Back