RR AR10 308 feeding problem

scrow

The bolt wont pick up the round on the 2nd shot. I think the problem is the mag, its a RR factor mag. What after market mags should I try. I do tap the mag to make sure it is seated properly. What are some of your 308 mags that dont give you problems?

Rock River 308's only take FN/FAL mags. Inch or metric, either one. Pmags or any other type of mag will not work in a Rock River 308 rifle.

I picked up a couple FAL inch pattern mags at the last gunshow, $15 each.

Originally Posted By: jlindholm70Rock River 308's only take FN/FAL mags. Inch or metric, either one. Pmags or any other type of mag will not work in a Rock River 308 rifle.

This is the reason I decided to go with a different lower than RRA for my next build. I'm such a fan of PMAGs that I'd rather use DPMS lowers rather than give the RRA a fair chance. Not taking anything away from RRA, I just like Magpul mags more.

Originally Posted By: cbass16Originally Posted By: jlindholm70Rock River 308's only take FN/FAL mags. Inch or metric, either one. Pmags or any other type of mag will not work in a Rock River 308 rifle.

This is the reason I decided to go with a different lower than RRA for my next build. I'm such a fan of PMAGs that I'd rather use DPMS lowers rather than give the RRA a fair chance. Not taking anything away from RRA, I just like Magpul mags more.

Yeah, I picked mine up during the big scare of '09, there wasn't a whole lot out there to choose from. I couldn't find a DPMS and the FAL mags were readily available and much cheaper. Magpul hadn't come out with Pmags yet and any DPMS mags were going for $80 plus. I would have liked a DPMS, especially since they came out with the Pmags, but not being sure what was going to happen, I grabbed it while I could. It is a shooter though!

Nothing wrong with FAL mags. Many might consider that a plus.

Some questions.

Has your rifle always done this or did it just start?

Does your rifle do this with other mags too?

Are you using used surplus mags?

Have you confirmed it isn't short stroking?

This gun is my sun in laws and I thought it was a RR but it is in fact a DPMS and he has just tried the two factory mags it came with. He told me about it over the phone. I'm not sure what short stroking is or how to tell if it is. How is that fixed?

Well then my original suggestion is back up! Try a pmag.

Of the two mags that came with my dpms, 1 of them is a pos and will not function at all.. the other is ify at best.

Short stroking (short cycling) is when your bolt carrier group is not going far enough to the rear to strip another round off your mag. One way to check for short stroking is to put 1 cartridge in a mag and fire it. If your bolt doesn't lock back it might be short stroking. Bad thing is if you have a bad mag, it could prevent your bolt from locking back as well.

If in fact it is short stroking the two main causes of this is inadequate gas which might be caused by improper gas block alignment, undersized gas port on barrel or gas block, carbon or something else partially blocking the port, underpowered ammo. Reloads that are too lightly loaded are a common cause.

Is your gasblock pinned on or held with screws? If held with tension screws it might not have been correctly lined with the gasport when installed or may have even moved if not tight enough.

The other cause could be mechanical interference impeding the velocity of your bolt carrier group. Buffer detent pin dragging on the bottom of your carrier, etc... Unlikely but possible.

Did it ever function right or has he always had problems?

If you are pretty sure your ammo is adequate, the easiest thing to do would be to try a new mag as was suggested. Can't ever have too many mags. PMags is a good suggestion. If it still is malfunctioning with new mags start looking at whether you are experiencing short stroking.

If the new mags cure your problem, contact DPMS and inquire about exchanging for mags that function correctly.

Good luck

I had a problem where my buffer wasn't fully seated in the buffer spring this caused a short stroking issue the buffer I was using had a high spot and the spring needed to clear to fully seat I pulled it out seated the spring and problem went away

Check your brass too if it scraping bad it your mag and you might need to do a little filing, just look for brass marking scrape in your mag.

Back