Wild Hog Ammo?

shooterrick

If I choose to do some wild hog hunting it will have to be with my CZ 7.62x39. Thats just the way it is without buying a new rifle.

I am looking at the following loads and would like someone with experience to make comments.
Thanks

124 grn SP fps 2330
154 grn SP fps 2104
124 grn JHP fps 2330

All are Wolf military classic loads.

Originally Posted By: shooterrickIf I choose to do some wild hog hunting it will have to be with my CZ 7.62x39. Thats just the way it is without buying a new rifle.

I am looking at the following loads and would like someone with experience to make comments.
Thanks

124 grn SP fps 2330
154 grn SP fps 2104
124 grn JHP fps 2330

All are Wolf military classic loads.

^^ This one ^^

Stay away from JHP bullets. You need penetration on hogs & feral pigs. The next matter of choice is bullet weight. Provided there is enough velocity to provide adequate penetration (and @2104 it should) you need a heavy bullet.

NOW ... having said THAT, I have taken them effectively with a 60 grain Nosler out of a .223 caliber rifle. But that is "iffy" unless the shot is exactly placed. We now use the 450 Bushmaster.

I've killed plenty the the 60 grain v-max in my AR.

I agree that soft points are better than jhp, but any of those will do the job.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerI've killed plenty the the 60 grain v-max in my AR.

I agree Sean ... the 60 VMax will kill them dead. But that doesn't make it the bullet (or caliber) of choice.
wink.gif

I'm a pretty decent shot, and it got to the point that even taking ear shots wasn't dropping them reliably. And that results in a trip through the bushes trying to find them and finish them off. I emptied a 45ACP into a boar's skull once trying to get him stopped. Luckily, he finally went down a few feet from us after being hit several times. I decided that the .223 wasn't going to be my "gun of choice" for hogs after that little scare. Honestly ... the .223 isn't a reliable hog caliber.

Originally Posted By: sumrifleSo buy a new rifle already....

He doesn't need a new rifle. The one he has is very capable of doing the job. All he needs to do is correctly place the shots, and use the best ammo available for the task at hand.
wink.gif

Thanks for all the info guys. I have 500rnds of 124 grn JHP coming and 100rnds of 154 SP in my hands. Will use the 154 grn sp for the hogs and sight this rifle with those loads.

The other is a cheap buy at an auction and I couldnt resist 4.40 us per box. 25 boxes. LOL

I've killed a boatload with a 223 and 60 grain V-Max but it wouldn't be my bullet of choice if I were specifically targeting hogs. While it has worked really well in hunting situations I have shot allot of hogs in traps in the head with the V-Max and haven't had great results...

Well my thoughts of the 154 grn sp load is my best choice and that will be my load for hogs.

I know the Wolf 124 grn JHP does not act like a true HP round. The Mil spec Wolf 124grn in military Classic from what I have read and seen actually has good penetration and then fragments instead of mushrooming. I saw a hog shot with this round just behind the front shoulder low and it left a gaping exit wound of about 4 inches. Looks like it took out all the vitals along the way.

154 grn SP fps 2104

The 120s are too light if you get into a big hog, and as Hidalgo pointed out, looking for injured hogs is not always a pleasant task. They can, and usually do, have a very bad attitude, even when they aren't hurt and mad.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: sumrifleSo buy a new rifle already....

He doesn't need a new rifle.

I am guessing none of us NEED a new rifle. Has that ever stopped us before?

Frankly I am a little surprised at your reply Hidalgo.....

Originally Posted By: sumrifleOriginally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: sumrifleSo buy a new rifle already....

He doesn't need a new rifle.

I am guessing none of us NEED a new rifle. Has that ever stopped us before?

Frankly I am a little surprised at your reply Hidalgo.....

Why are you surprised?
confused.gif

He asked about ammunition for the rifle he owns, and what would be most appropriate for the mentioned task. He didn't ask if the rifle was adequate ... He simply wanted an ammunition recommendation. Your reply sounded like you were insinuating that he needed a new rifle in order to hunt hogs. My statement was simply in reply to your suggestion.

And I'll say it again: His rifle is very adequate for hog hunting. He doesn't need a new rifle to get the job done.

Are there "better" calibers for hunting hogs? Sure. Should he go buy one because his isn't "good enough"? Nope.

I don't know what about that was "surprising".
confused.gif

Ok guys. I took the new rifle comment as an attempt at humor and I did chuckle. I just bought this rifle and it will have to do for now. As most know the written word is sometimes hard to interpret intent. I will always choose to interpret comments on a forum in the most positive manner until it is clear it was not meant that way.

For now: LMAO

Originally Posted By: shooterrickOk guys. I took the new rifle comment as an attempt at humor and I did chuckle.

Makes it a LOT easier when you add one of these:
laugh.gif

Or this:
wink.gif

Like you said ... hard to interpret the written word's exact meaning at times.

If I choose to do some wild hog hunting it will have to be with my CZ 7.62x39. Thats just the way it is without ((("buying a new rifle.")))

After reading the original post I am not sure where the thought of a new rifle came from.... Oh well.

Just got in 200 rnds 154SP and 500rnds 124Hp. Package deal at gunbroker for 4.40 a box. That is why I like this cal. I could not afford to shoot anything else other than a 22 at these prices.

A member on ARFCOM mentioned that the 154 gr SP weren't expanding for him.: Take it for what it's worth. I suggest shooting a hog with both and seeing which does more damage. Insert smiley here
smile.gif

Back