locating coyotes the night before the hunt?

BRAD

How many of you attempt to locate coyotes the night before hunting an area?
Do you find that you have less dry stands when using this tactic? Thank's, Brad

personally I do all my scouting a couple of weeks before I hunt...I go out and like I am hunting deer and I find what I need then get out and let it cool down for awhile once you find em they aren't leaving until you drag em out !!!

I did it a lot. I started at 3:00 am, went back out at day light. Marked the spots on a map with the locations and approximate numbers...

Stop the truck.

wait for 3-5 minutes

Interogation Howl

Wait 5 minutes after they quit howling to leave. If you don't get an answer, drive 5 more miles down the road, mark the stops on your map.

If you get out of your truck, don't slam the truck door when you howl.

I took the light out of my truck that comes on when I open the door.

I have a toggle switch in the cab for the brake and back up lights. You can put the inside lights on a toggle switch also.

You can mount two large outdoor PA speakers underneath your truck availale from Radio shack. You can have a toggle switch put on your inside tape deck for inside or outside speakers.

In some states,this method of doing a census count is illegal, check your regs.

I also had a Siren before I learned to howl, but it has to be set outside on the ground, fully self contained to be legal....can not be attached to the vehicle in any way. The siren can not be blown in an area close to houses where it will disturb people, if they complain, you get a ticket. Good Siren's are very expensive.

Using a set of electronic ear muffs works wonders, you will hear coyotes howling off in the distance that you would otherwise would not have heard.

I'm not excessive compulsive, just extremely well focused.

Last edited:
I have done a lot of the same things that ackleyman has done if the hunting spot is close enough to where you are camping or your home. I might see a slight difference in numbers when doing this. But I think there are other things you can do during the day to increase your numbers. Following trails or roads and look for tracks and coyote poop and don't call if there are no signs there.

Thank's fellas, I have serenade on my foxpro and get good vocal response with it. Just wanted to know if locating the night before increases your sucess rate. Brad

Absolutey will increase your success...its something I've been doing for a few years now and my success rate has gone up considerably

I read a post awhile back about a guy who would start locating at 3 am... and then go back and hunt all those spots at daylight. Kinda like locating tom turkeys on the roost.

Back