A double on doubles (Pics)

300magman

Well, I headed out by myself for a couple of morning stands today (my calling buddies are all on vacations right now). First stand seemed like it was going to be a blank, then at about the 20 minute mark, I saw some movement through a wind break of trees about 300 yds from my position. I shut down the foxpro, and began lip squeaking...the first of the pair popped out of the wind break, and ran about 100yds closer to my position, then held up to wait for his partner. Once they had joined back up, they began trotting toward me. At 60 yds, I took the male (who was in the back), then quickley followed up on the female who was about 40 yds out....I gathered them up, took a pic, dragged them to the truck and headed off for the next stand...

First double of the day

DSC02718.jpg

Things happened alot faster on the second stand of the day. I got into position after a 3/4 mile snowshoe in, and started with the distress again (It seemed to work on the first stand, so I didn't try howling to start this stand off). At about the 2 minute mark, a single male came charging in and I dropped him at 75 yds. Immediatley, I switched to pup distress and let that play for a couple minutes, then went back to distress sounds. A few seconds after switching back to distress, a single female appeared from the opposite side as the male had come. She was very spooky, and I couldn't get her any closer than 150yds, so eventually I just decided to take her. Kept calling after that, but nothing else showed up.

Second double of the day

DSC02720.jpg

After dragging these two back to the truck,I decided to head home and spend the rest of the day with my wife and son (after all, its family day which is a stat holiday in Alberta)!

All four of the yotes from today

DSC02725.jpg

Good hunting everyone!

Originally Posted By: Super White HunterWho took the pictures

My camera with a timer delay...I pile up snow, set my pack on the snow pile and put the camera on the back support mesh of my pack...works like a charm

Originally Posted By: likinmoWay to go!! Man you are the man! I love those canada yotes! What do you do with your coyotes...do you sell the furs?

No, I just give them to the hutterites. They take them whole, and in turn I get access to all the colony land (theres three different areas that I hunt, so three different colonies that total about 20,000 acres combined)...they got some GREAT elk land, and i've actually taken my bulls of the same colonies land the last couple years, so its worth losing the few pennies on the fur!

Originally Posted By: Silent HunterDarn nice looking yotes there 300.
What do you estimate those yotes weigh on average, they look big and furred well.

The average for the males is about 50 lbs, and for females 40 lbs. I have shot a couple males this year that I would guess were 60 lb +, and one big [beeep] female that i actually scaled at 52 lbs. Yeah, they still got really nice coats on 'em....also, knock wood, but me and my huntin crew haven't shot a single mangey one yet this year!

Back