Sweet deal

newmexicokid

Does anyone have any experience with these Cavalry Arms lowers? http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CAVMKIIOD.aspx

I picked one up from this page for $89. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. I really like the reciever so far. I am going to make a light weight coyote gun. I also picked up a stripped upper made by Armalite from this site as well. Then a couple of days later I saw Wilson Combat had 6.8 barrels for $150. It is match grade in stainless. I think I am only going to have $500 or $600 into the gun. I will let you know how it all comes together. I will see if I can put some pics up. Merry Christmas to me!!!!

I used to have quite a few of these. They are great for a light weight build. Unfortunately Cav Arms has gone out of business. I'll post up a few pics of the guns I built with these lowers when I can find them. There were issues of some of them cracking and Cav would replace them for free but Im not sure how that will work now. Cav Arms was about 5 min from my house in AZ so it was pretty convenient if something went wrong. YOu should PM Scottmilk on this board, he used to spend some time at their shop as he worked next door to them for a while.

Last edited:
Hey we are doing the same thing. I bought 2 lowers and the same barrell. I bought them for my wife, they are the right size for her and the weight is great. I have seen a 458 socom on one with no problems. Can't wait to see your pics. Good luck with the build

I am almost ready to put everything together. I ordered more Norrells Moly Coat in OD Green to match the lower. Just waiting for it all to get here so I can paint it before I put it all together. Big surprise but I went a little over budget. Here is the price breakdown:
Stripped Upper $89
Stripped Lower $89
Wilson Combat Barrel $150
Upper Parts Kit $52.40
Lower Parts Kit $35.90
6.8 BCG $148.52
Buffer and Spring - Free from a friend
Troy Micro Gas Block $40ish
Troy Handguard $130 from Sportsmans Warehouse
JP Trigger Springs $10

By my count I will have under $750 in it. Certainly over my budget but still cheap considering the parts that are going into it. My dad bought the same barrel for his rifle and it is shooting sweet little one-hole groups. It shot very nice...I am excited to put mine together. I am not sure what I want to do for optics on it. Do you all think the ballistics on the 6.8 justify a healthy scope? My DPMS LR243 has a VX3 in 4.5-14x50mm. The 243 is much flatter out to distance and I can justify that big of a scope. Not sure if I want to go with some sort of red dot like the Burris AR332 in a 3x or if I should go with a legit variable power scope like a 3-9. It will be for shooting coyotes mainly. In our neck of the woods I don't take many shots beyond 300yds. Let me know what you think. I should have finished pics soon.

Seems like a nice build for the price! Since you have the larger caliber and longer range scope setup already, I think you should go with something like a 1.5-5x or 2-7x for the FOV for close range shooting.

Alright so it has been a couple of weeks since I updated this thread. I got a used scope for it. It is a VX2 1-4. It is a stumpy little scope that I got for $200. It will go nicely with my lightweight setup. I also got a 1" PEPR mount. All in all I am happy with how all the equipment looks and feels. We will see how it all comes together. I got right down to it today and discovered I needed one last part. NOOOOOOOO. I need a roll pin for the gas block. It seems like it is always some obscure little 4 cent part you are missing. Anyways I can't put any completed pics up yet because it isn't complete but I do have some of the sub assemblies done and painted. I put the OD moly coat on everything. I love this product. It is easy to apply, its tuff, and it is thin. It doesn't cover any of the reciever or barrel markings. Check out how it is coming.
AssembledLower.jpg

The lower with the trigger and everything. You have to massage the reciever in a couple spots to get everything to fit right. I really like the JP springs. I may polish the sear a little more later but I want to shoot it first and see how everything feels.
TroyHandguard.jpg

Troy handguard. I like how this tube feels. It has a smaller than normal diameter and adds to the total light weight feel. The moly coat turned out good.
PaintedUpper.jpg

Upper reciever before installation of the ejection port cover and forward assist.
PaintedPEPRwithLeo.jpg

I just have the scope mocked up for now. I will tighten everything down once the mount is on the upper and I can check out eye relief and charging handle clearance.
PaintedBarrel.jpg

The end of the barrel with the thread protector. I will probably put some sort of linear break on this eventually. I like linear breaks like the Troy Claymore. They help quiet things down a bit for myself and my hunting buddy. I am not sure if you can see the caliber stamping on the barrel in this shot or not. It is still perfectly legible though. I like how thin the moly coat is. I will get some glamour shots of the completed rifle once I get my hands on a freakin roll pin. Until then...

I just did about the same thing for my wife I put it all togther last night. Still need to do the duracoat. But it weighs in at 5.49lbs w/o optic. Pretty light. Yours looks good and glad to here the barrels are good shooters

Finally got the rifle all together. I have just a couple of little issues to resolve. The front trigger pin is a little too short so I will need to figure something out. Also the low profile gas block is not quite low enough. That Troy handguard is very small diameter and it touches a little. I may have to "massage" the gas block a little. I also put a Hogue grip sleeve on it. It vastly improves the handshake of the rifle. I put it on my fish scale and it came in right at about 7lbs. with the scope and all. Anyways here are some pics. It just snowed like it was 1999 down here so it will be a bit until I get out to sight it in and break in the barrel. Overall I like how it turned out. We will have to see how it shoots.
completedrear.jpg

Almost a perfect match with the paint.

completedmiddle.jpg

completedfront.jpg

completedfull.jpg

Back