Anyone use H380?

NoPeta

A buddy of mine brought over a pound and told me he likes it loading 22-250. Just wondering, never used it before

I've heard it's the greatest thing on earth in a .22-250. However, it has a drawback that I can't live with. Ball powders are very sensitive to temp changes.

After the cold weather hit in OH I sighted the gun in again for winter hunting. The bullet hit over 3" lower then in the summer.

I now use Varget.

What Joed says,, my Sav 22-250 shoots bug holes with 39.0 over a 50gr.V-max, but the poi changes as the temp changes. I may switch to Varget..

I have used it with a 50 gr. bullet in 223 and also a 55 gr. bullet in 22-250. One of the guys that I shoot with says you have best results at almost max loads. I now shoot benchmark or varget.

used to use H380 in my 22-250 with 52 amax .2-.3 at 100 easily with 39.0 grains. As stated elsewhere temp sensitivity could be an issue, which it was for me. Group size stayed close to the same just the point of impact moved. Now I use IMR 4007ssc with 39.0 grains and the same 52 amax and it shoots .2-.3 easily with same point of impact all year round. Rifle is 1-14 twist rem 700 vls 26 inch barrel.

Originally Posted By: joedI've heard it's the greatest thing on earth in a .22-250. However, it has a drawback that I can't live with. Ball powders are very sensitive to temp changes.

After the cold weather hit in OH I sighted the gun in again for winter hunting. The bullet hit over 3" lower then in the summer.

I now use Varget.

Me too!

Bruce Hodgdon named the powder after his favorite load for the 22-250, 38 gr and a 52 gr bullet...hence H380.

I've never had any "temperature sensitivity" issues with it except at low temps, but like most ball powders it gets a bit testy when you push it. Varget is better at low temps [beeep]'. It burns cooler than log or flake powders, I've used it in several 22-250's and 220 Swifts and othe small and medium sized cases.

I try it and other powders in the same burn rate when I'm working up loads and use whatever powder gives me the best accuracy.

Newer powders do have much better burn characteristics and I'm slowly converting as I use up old stocks of powders...4007, 8208, RL-15 and 17, Varget all are getting the node over some of my old "standbys".

Luck

38.6 with 52.gr.bergers deadly in over six different guns also with 52.sierra match and 52. hornady match hollow points.probably shot at least a 1000 coyotes with them.

Back