Lets talk case tumblers??

Originally Posted By: DogpopperI've had a few different vibratory tumblers and they all work about the same. I'm seriously considering going with the thumbler tumbler set up here in the near future. Looks like a good way to go.

Indeed they are. I got to using one after a shooting companion got one. Dayhum! What a shine! The stainless steel media that you use (that never needs replacing) even polishes out minute scratches in your bass. Try that with corn cob or walnut hulls!

You brass looks good when you take it out of a vibratory cleaner after a few hours, but once you see what Thumbler will do-and I'm not kidding!- you aint seen nothing yet!

Originally Posted By: Rustydust....but once you see what Thumbler will do-and I'm not kidding!- you aint seen nothing yet!

What is a "Thumbler" Rusty ?
Is it a barrel or vibrating style machine ?
Thanks

PC

I picked up a used Lyman Turbo Twin on ebay several years ago. I can't remember how much I paid for it but it wasnt much. I've used walnut, corncob, and even kitty litter for media. Its still going strong and does a fine job. Might not be the best tumbler out there-I'm not qualified to be a judge of that-but it was cheap and it works. Check ebay. Dave

Originally Posted By: PineConeOriginally Posted By: Rustydust....but once you see what Thumbler will do-and I'm not kidding!- you aint seen nothing yet!

What is a "Thumbler" Rusty ?
Is it a barrel or vibrating style machine ?
Thanks

PC

Check out http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com and you will see what it all about.

This is a timely thread as my 1292 Midway tumbler seems like the motor is a little louder now than it used to be. Thinking about replacing it, but reading the reviews on midway, they're all junk. I think they are probably all the same Chineese crap, so I'll run mine till it stops. Almost 20 years on that cheapy, and who knows how many thousands of cases cleaned. It might be my imagination that it's louder, too.

I have had many tumblers over the years including the rock polishing type, that for many years was the only thing available.

I now use an ULTRA quiet tumbler made by Thumbler's Tumbler model ULTRA VIBE and mine is the size 18. It is not a super huge tumbler, probably the size up from a std RCBS unit.

This unit has seen hard use since 1993, still going strong. It is so quiet that you can put it right beside your feet while you are reloading and have the radio on very low and her the radio perfectly.

These ultra quiet units will cost a little more, but with the trouble free service they give, they are worth every penny.

The Dillon is quiter than many of the units mention in the above threads, but the Ultra Vibe is so quiet, you simply won't believe it till you hear it. Every friend of mine that has heard this Ultra Vibe in operation has bought one...no kidding!

Originally Posted By: Al_HansenWatched the video. Interesting. Just curious, how do you dry the brass?

I dump mine in a old broiler pan and stick it in the oven at 200 degrees. I crack the door a bit to let the moisture escape. Not near hot enough to temper the brass so no worries there. If I clean a load of brass in the evening I will put in the oven at bedtime and take it out in the morning. After I put my sunglasses on that is!
wink.gif

I have started using the stainless media and a Thumler tumbler. I won't be going back to regular tumblers. The brass looks better than new and it even cleans the primer pockets and inside of the brass. I mean totaly clean. I am very impressed

I got a used 1/3hp motor for free a couple years ago. I ended up using it to build a homemade drum tumbler. It works pretty slick and cost about $40 to make.

Back