Home Made Ghillie Suit

DonL

Two years I made a Ghillie Suite. It's not hard at all, just time consuming. You can get all you need at WalMart. I used camo netting from the Sports Section to fashion a pull over with a hood.You can get burlap from the Sewing Section. At that time I could get three colors of burlap, light green, light brown and white. I dyed the white a couple of colors to match the north central Arizona habitat. Cut the burlap into strips 2" wide and 12 to 18" long. Fold the strips so that you have a long pice with a short piece in front and sew the strip at the seam to the the pulloverstarting at the bottomgoing around the suit. Go up 4 to 6" and sew around again. Proceed up the suit and do the hood and arms seperate. The messy part is striping the burlap. How much you strip is up to you. The last thing to do is (don't laugh) take the suite out and drag it in your hunting area and get it good and messed up. Shake it out and there you are. The last step is optional but worth it. You caqn also take Krylon Camo paint to the burlap if you want to get really into it.

ghillie2.bmp

Ghillie1.bmp

2005_0102Ghillie0001.jpg

nice pics, i'm making one too. What did you use for the bace coat? I agree that it is time consuming but, i allso tend to procrastinate a bit.

talk you ya'll later

The base is made out of camo netting I got at Walmart.It's the thin stuff that you can see through. Just made a pullover with a hood and started to sew on the burlap. Don

ok, i'm making mine a little diff. i got a swedish bdu set and used the jacket and then i cut up the golf neting thing that we had in the attic and then safty pined it on, and started tying the burlap on.

later

sorry about the bad grmmar (i'm good at that)

Hey Savage that's cool about the BDU. I would have used a set but here in the Northern Arizona Boonies, there isn't any Army Surplus store with in a hundred miles. My guestion is if you pin the netting to the BDU, how do you attach it to the front if you have to un button the BDU to get into it? Or do you use it as a pullover? Don

i didn't put neting fully across the front i left an opening for the sipper. i also got the bdu form a site called cheper than durt lol

later

OK, I see what you're doing. I wanted mine to be completely burlaped in front. My thinking was that your front is what is expose to the game so I wanted the front to be well broken up. If you have ever noticed the military snipers have the material mostly on their backs because they do a lot of crawling and prone shooting. My hood has a lot of long strips so that I can flop them over my face. I then use a billed camo cap and net face mask. The bill on the cap helps me part the strands for a better view. I also camoed my rifle by first using camo paint and leave stencils and then using burlap from the muzzel to the receiver and scope. Then shredding the burlap some. Don

well, see, i have the neting come within about, ohh, 1/2" or 1/4" of the zipper, so once i get the burlap on there the gap would be covered by the burlap

hope you can understand my grammer and spelling

later

I figured that's the way it would work. Sounds like a good system. Sometimes getting in and out of my ghillie is a pain in the a#*. Take care an enjoy your suit. I'm sure it will make a difference. Later, Don
P.S. Don't worry about the grammar. I can't spell so we're even.

Cool! I'd really like to see it. When it stops snowing here I'll take a couple of pics of my rig on and post them. Later, Don

Heres the fast way. Instead of 2 inch strips use 1 inch strips. completely eliminate the netting ang sewing. simply glue the strips directly onto BDU's with a hot melt glue gun.

t/c223encore.

Hey t/c223encore I noticed on another thread that you're in Susanville,CA. A friend of mine just moved here to the Prescott, AZ area from Susanville. He worked in the prison up there and did a lot of coyote hunting. Names Gifford. Wonder if you knew him. Don

hey, don, what are you doing for the rifle rag? like are you cammoing the whole thing or a partof it like the barrol to the begening of the acction and scip the action and cammo the butt stock?

later

Hi savage. you asked about my setup. Here are some photos. As I stated before in one of my posts I used leave stencils and camo paint from Krylon to cover my rifle then used burlap to cover the barrel, forpeace and front part of scope. Hope this clears things up. It's kind a hard to make a picture with words. Later Don
2005_0107GhillieSetup0003.jpg

2005_0107GhillieSetup0009.jpg

2005_0107GhillieSetup0012.jpg

t/c223encore, my buddy worked in the prison as an Stationary Engineer. He worked on the boilers in the kitchen and heating and A/C among other things. His full name is Marv Gifford. He retired last year. Later, Don

hpw come that bush has a gun? lol, nice pics. i got some pics the other day and i need to get them developet and then i need to get the scaner working...again :rolleyes:

oh well
later

Back