Can this be done.

12Ring

I was wondering if I could put a Hogue over molded rubber carbine length hand guard on a 18" barrel. I don't want the gas tube all exposed on the end so can I use a carbine length gas tube on a 18" barrel. Might be a stupid question but I'm just getting into the AR world. The reason I was thinking of doing this is to make it a little less heavy but mostly because I just like the look of the shorter hand guard.

The way I understand is that you currently have a mid length gas system? If so, no you can't shorten up the gas tube, as the gas block would also have to be moved back and you can't do that.

You could put the carbine hand guard on, but like you said the tube would be exposed on the end. There are a lot of mid length ff tubes out there, though, that would work. Difference in weight wouldn't be noticable I don't think.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARThe way I understand is that you currently have a mid length gas system? If so, no you can't shorten up the gas tube, as the gas block would also have to be moved back and you can't do that.

You could put the carbine hand guard on, but like you said the tube would be exposed on the end. There are a lot of mid length ff tubes out there, though, that would work. Difference in weight wouldn't be noticable I don't think.

Well, technically he could plug the existing gas port and redrill at carbine length....not really worth the trouble, imo.

18" barrel with carbine length gas system = major mismatch. OP if you want a carbine length gas system get yourself a 14.5" barrel with pinned muzzle device or do the ATF Form 1 and short barrel your gun...in the end you'll have short handguards and a rifle that functions properly.

Last edited:
Back