miles gilbert bedding kit sucks

i want to bed a new rifle i got so i figured i would practice on an old rifle that i never bedded. i hogged out wood around the tang, hogged out wood around the recoil lug and under the chamber. applied the release agent, mixed up the epoxy per the instructions and place the epoxy in the stock. the next day i popped the action out of the stock and half the bedding compound around the recoil lug came out with the action. i fiqured i must not have mixed it right. i removed all the "bedding compound" with a chisel and a die grinder. the epoxy was soft and gummed up the cutter very quickly, but i got it all out and started over. applied the release agent, checked the instructions and measured out as accurately as possible the epoxy halves. place the epoxy in the stock and a day later pulled the action and the same [beeep] thing. the bedding compound around the recoil lug, and under the chamber failed. some stuck the action, some to the stock. the stuff on the action came off easily, it wasnt glued to the action. man am i pissed, now i have to remove all that soft epoxy again, and then try again. i will get some other compound next time.

Get some of the Devcon steel bed 10110 stuff.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fw707Get some of the Devcon steel bed 10110 stuff.
thumbup1.gif

1+ Devcon is the way to go. I have bedded probably 10 or 12 rifles with it and always had great results.
for release agent I use Kiwi Shoe polish.

Steve

I use the grey marinetex and have 0 issues. Used it on wood stocks,McMillan stocks, b&c stocks...from just capturing the lug to pouring pillars and barrel pad and bedding the entire receiver, to full length bedding.

Originally Posted By: coyote_204Originally Posted By: fw707Get some of the Devcon steel bed 10110 stuff.
thumbup1.gif

1+ Devcon is the way to go. I have bedded probably 10 or 12 rifles with it and always had great results.
for release agent I use Kiwi Shoe polish.

Steve

I too use neutral kiwi as release agent. I like to apply a light coat then buff and apply a second light coat and buff. Never had a problem doing that.

Another thing I do is to leave the release agent on the receiver when I'm done. It gives the underside of the receiver a [beeep] good jump start on fending the inevitable rust that likes to build up after a hard seasons use and abuse.

Originally Posted By: DABI like Micro Bed for bedding actions, Just got to have the right releasing agent for it.

DAB

Don't leave us hanging ......what do you use?
grin.gif

That sucks. I have used the Miles Gilbert kit on two rifles that turned out great. I think I may try Devcon on my next one. Just wish I could find Devcon in smaller than 1 lb tubs.

Originally Posted By: schroederThat sucks. I have used the Miles Gilbert kit on two rifles that turned out great. I think I may try Devcon on my next one. Just wish I could find Devcon in smaller than 1 lb tubs.

+1 on both counts.

Wish I read this thread about 3 hours ago I just bought a Miles Gilbert kit. They had a Accraglass and Accraglass gel kit also.

I have never had the problem described above. Wonder if something was wrong with it. I have used two kits, and both bonded like a champ.

Nick, if you are that worried about it, take it back and I'll give you enough to do a gun. You can judge for yourself. I'll pm you some pix of the only bedding job I have pix of.

Microbed for wood, Dexter Hysol Epoxy Patch (aluminum filled) for synthetic.

Adhesive probably was bad from the supplier. Kinda hard to blame the middle man, it's not like he can or should test every sample that comes through.

I'd get the lot # off the containers and contact the manufacturer. Let whoever you got the kit from know too, so they can pull suspect stock (no pun intended) and not have another guy experience your problem.

Last edited:
i have some left over acraglass gel from about '98 or '99. i bought the mile gilbert kit because all i have left from the acraglass kit is the epoxy. last night i mixed up a small amount of it to see if it was still good. after about 14 hours it is harder than the miles gilbert stuff was after 24 hours. i think i might use the acraglass, but i wonder if the release agent with the mile gilbert kit will work with the acraglass? the acraglass epoxy components look the same as the mile gilbert? same stuff different name? i think the miles gilbert stuff is bad, maybe a bad batch i dont know but even after a day and a half the pieces that came out of the stock are still pliable in my fingers.

I've been using the Brownells Steel Bed kit and really like it. Not sure about your conditions but it's still winter where I'm at and my gun room is left fairly cool. Epoxy doesn't like to mix, measure or set in the cold very well. I have to set out my epoxy and stock for several hours near the heater this time of year. Kiwi neutral, applied and then buffed off as best I can has been working great for me, nothing sticks and I can see detail down to fine sanding marks transferred into the bed so I know it's plenty thin.

Are you bedding the recoil lug tight, or putting tape on the front and sides of it? I normally use Mainetex or Acraglass Gel, i've done a few in JB and had good luck too. Kiwi Neutral for a release agent.

Back