Blown primers with no other sings of pressure.

I had the same issues with a savage in 223. After remeasuring loads, oal and finally the bolt, it was determined the the firing pin hole is too large - Savage does not have tight tolerances in that respect. I simply switched to bencrest primers - CCI BR4's or Rem 7 1/2's - and problems went away.

This post answered a lot of my questions. Used the same load in my Stevens except with 55 vmax, and had flattened\cratered primers when using CCI 400's.

Primers rupturing on the sides like they are are an indicator of a bad lot of primers. Benchrest shooters have been plagued by this off and on for quiet a while.

You now have pits in your bolt faces as you can see in some of your primers as the metal has flowed into the pits.

Don't use anymore of that Lot# of primers, contact CCI and ask them to pay for getting your bolt face welded and faced off by a gunsmith.

CCI450's, CCIBR-4's, and Rem 7 1/2's have thick cups, use them.

Your rifle is building pressure quickly, be aware of that on future loads.

PS You do have an over size firing pin hole.

If you are tumbing your brass, I wonder if there could be a possiblity that some of the tumbling media would still be in the brass, which would decrease the volume, and sky rocket pressures.

Otherwise, bad lot of primers.

Back