different caliber uppers

Yes. As long as you have the complete upper, it should be as simple as "plug and play". I have three different uppers (.223, 6mm AR Turbo 40, 25 wssm) and use the same lower for all of them with no problems.

I will eliborate on his question it has been eating at me too. Lets say I have a rock river 5.56 lower. What uppers can I attach and fire safely without any other modifications. I hope I didnt hijack his thread too bad.

Now that I think about it, some of the really heavy stuff might require a different buffer spring, but I'm not certain on that.

But, as I stated above, all three of mine work fine on the same lower which also happens to be a Rock River.

I go all the way up to 450 bushmaster on a standard AR 15 lower. I now have a lower for each upper but used to use same on every upper I have. Mine are 223wylde 16", 5.56 20", and 450 Bushmaster. Now that I did get dedicated lowers using diferent buffers is helpful as well as using different buttstocks and buttpads do help also. If it fits you can shoot it just might be able to get better groups and more comfortable to shoot with a dedicated lower for each. jmo

If you are going to have one lower for multiple uppers,,,be on the safe side and get a lower marked "multi"..if a LEO or game warden was havin a bad day,,you would be having a bad one shortly after.

X

Originally Posted By: coyotexIf you are going to have one lower for multiple uppers,,,be on the safe side and get a lower marked "multi"..if a LEO or game warden was havin a bad day,,you would be having a bad one shortly after.

X
Why would it matter?? Are all ar15 lowers are stamped 5.56/223????? regardless of what upper was on it. If you buy 5 stripped lowers , they have no way of knowing what caliber/ upper they would be mated to!! I'm not being an a$$ I'm seriously asking what would they do or could they do??????? Thanks

Last edited:
Not being that way either,,,if you get stopped by the right one and upper says 6.8 spc,,lower says 556,,or upper says 450 bushmaster,,lower says 556,,should not give you any flack,,,My advice is that they could.

And no they are not ALL stamped 556/223,,why i suggested multi.

here in ohio,,we have to pull the rounds from a clip before driving to the next stand...its the law,,would i get burned by a LEO if they found a full 5 round mag in my pocket?...probably no....but if you get someone with a attitude,,,how hard is it to get back a confiscated gun?...I dont wanna know.

X

The only way I see any issue is if you've got a .223/556 stamped lower and you need a bigger caliber for legal hunting. Even if you were running a 6.8 upper, you might catch grief.
Regardless. If your weapon was confiscated because of a technicality in the labeling of the lower, THAT IS INTERCHANGEABLE, they would likely be the ones getting in trouble, not the hunter. (in SD anyway)
I'm fairly certain that in our state hunting regulations, it says big game must be shot with a "certain caliber bullet"...not a "gun with a specific label"

This could be VERY different in states that are a bit more uptight with their gun rules than we are, but around here, if an officer did that, just to be a d!cK...I'm betting they would be the ones getting "a stern talking to", not the law abiding hunter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cbass16The only way I see any issue is if you've got a .223/556 stamped lower and you need a bigger caliber for legal hunting. Even if you were running a 6.8 upper, you might catch grief.

Maybe you would catch grief if the game warden is just having a bad day and wants to take it out on you, but the markings on the barrel and the ammo you are using should be enough proof that you are indeed hunting with 6.8, regardless of the markings on the lower.

Surely most game wardens are aware enough to realize that ANY rifle can be converted to something other than the markings on the gun, and the ammo is ample proof of what it has been converted to.

Yeah i was just trying to give a politically correct answer to the OP.

Should not ever be a problem,, but alot of "old school"game wardens,,still give a funny look,when they see you hunting with a AR.

My advice being this,,if you are building a AR lower,,to run multiple caliber 6x45,6.8,223 ,450 bushmaster,,whatever...Just get a lower marked "multi",,,that way all bases are covered,NO chance of a misunderstanding.

X

Back