Jewell, Timney, or Rifle Basix?

The Virginian

I have a Rem 700 VTR that the X-mark trigger is awful. Right at 7 lbs on it's lowest setting. So I'm going to replace it and I'm bouncing between Jewell, Timney, or Rifle Basix.

If I understand these correctly, Jewell is the best of the lot. The price spread between these ranges between $30 to $60 bump for the Jewell.

My question is the Jewell worth the bump and why?

Thanks,

Eric

shilen my favorite very hard to install 100. timney easy to install, my son inlaws favorite 100. jewell 200, my sons and brothers favorite, easy to install also.

Jewell: If you want the best, but absolutely necessary???...no.
Timney: Also very good and if all you are trying to do is get the trigger pull down to 3 lbs or so then it's great. It would be my first choice if you just want a good all around trigger.
Basix: Decent, but I would still take a Timney over a Basix.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21Jewell: If you want the best, but absolutely necessary???...no.
Timney: Also very good and if all you are trying to do is get the trigger pull down to 3 lbs or so then it's great. It would be my first choice if you just want a good all around trigger.
Basix: Decent, but I would still take a Timney over a Basix.

+1

Jewells are for paper punchers, not huntin' rigs. In that regard, they are excellent triggers.

I'd take a Shilen over a RB or a Timney.

Neither of the above 3 are any better than a properly tuned old school 700 trigger.......

You might want to try a $7 spring first.
unsure.gif

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/c1_p1.html

You can respring an old school 700, hit the sear with a stone, and you have a great trigger for little money. Every bit as good as a Timney, RB, or Shilen.

Problem is, too many morons have ruined it for us now. Now you get a total POS trigger on your 700, compliments of the weeekend warrior.......

Just dropped in my second Jewell moments ago. I have installed Jewells, Shilens and lots of Rifle Basix. I really like the Rifle Basix triggers for the money so I won't buy anthing else in the same price range. The Jewell is the best trigger of the bunch IMO. I have tuned new and old Remington triggers, neither impress me much and the new X-Mark is a piece of crap IMO. The VSSF 204 I just bought last year had an X-Mark that came in at 7.5 lbs set from the factory and would not adjust to less than 5 lbs according to my Lyman digital.

There was always a bit of creep that wouldn't go away. I also like a lighter trigger pull than what the factory Remington will tune to. The RBs seem to have no noticeable creep or overtravel when properly adjusted. The Jewells seem to do that but deliver a crispness that is unmatched. I also like the slim profile of the RBs and the Jewells over the Remington factory. Just my opinion though.

No creep or overtravel on any of my old school 700s. They all go down as low as any huntin' trigger ever needed to go, IMO. Some lower.....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunJewells are for paper punchers, not huntin' rigs. In that regard, they are excellent triggers.

Can you expand on this. I guess this is another thing I have been doing wrong for quite a few years. ALL of my Remington rifles have a Jewell. I dont have very many rifles just for punching paper so I dont know much about that.

Jewells were puposely designed to be target triggers. Not huntin' triggers. They are far more susceptible to dirt, sand, debris, gunk, grime, oil, what have you. More fragile, more complex, less reliable.

Do you really think you benefit from the finer workings of a Jewell under hunting conditions? I don't.......

I like what 2much gun said. I've got an older 700 with a nicely tuned trigger and it works GREAT. It's set just under 3 lbs. There cake to tune too...

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun Jewells were puposely designed to be target triggers. Not huntin' triggers. They are far more susceptible to dirt, sand, debris, gunk, grime, oil, what have you. More fragile, more complex, less reliable.

Do you really think you benefit from the finer workings of a Jewell under hunting conditions? I don't.......

Trust me with with the wind in Wyoming I am all too familiar with dirt, sand, debris, gunk, grime, oil, and what have you. I have not had one issue with a single Jewell trigger. I was even turned on to them some time ago from a friend from Michigan that has been coming out here for the last 26 years hunting with us.

To answer your question yes there are times that I really like having the finer workings of a Jewell in my hunting rifle.

Back