POF upper????

12Ring

I am brand new to the AR world so this may be a stupid question. I'm thinking about buying a POF upper with the forward assist and dust cover. A guy at a shop (not where I'm gonna buy the upper) told me that if I bought a POF upper, I had to buy all POF parts to go with it.

He also said that if I pieced the AR are together it would cost me more. He said it was cheaper to buy it already together. So my question is, Is that true? I thought that the uppers and lowers were interchangeable with all the other AR makers parts?? Is that not the case with a POF upper??

That's a crock of poo. POF are fine rifles but they are also one of the most expensive. You can build one for like $500 so he was just trying to take advantage of a noob and get a big sale. ARs are interchangeable (minus colt lowers, different pin size) and there are plenty of resources on this forum and ar15.com where you can piece it together or buy the parts separately have have someone assemble it for you for much cheaper. Good luck!

I have built 4 complete "mutts" as far as ARs are concerned.

I have 2 more in process guns,,one will be wrapped up on saturday night.,,it will be either slightly higher or the same as my most expensive one.

Complete upper 400.

stripped lower 99
lpk 60
stock kit 67.

This will be a matched set up,,upper and lower,,coulda built it up cheaper,,with mismatched stuff.

X

Might want to check with KIES if you think POF's are 100% compatible.

I have no personal experience with them, but in my discussion with Travis...Their uppers are built for POF lowers or their own lowers. This would lead me to believe POF is at least slightly different than "typical".

The fella in question would be full of crap in regards to a complete one being cheaper than a user assembled one...UNLESS, the user was to assemble it with higher priced aftermarket parts. However, if you buy a pre-assembled one, and then the replacement parts as well, then you're really going to be getting up in the "high priced" range.

Kies, POF and Hogan AR-10's are all compatable.

POF AR15's should be compatible with anyone elses lower save colt large pin lowers.

You can piece one together using all the most inexpensive parts you can find for less then a shop built one, but if you want any higher end parts in your gun then it is much cheaper going with a custom builder such as us or Specialized dynamics.

Also buying from a reputable builder you generally have some guarantees and recourse if something is not right, and you don't have to invest in the proper tools to build it.

Now before the what tools do you need to build an AR debate starts, yes it can be, and has been done with hand tools found in most garages. But with that comes a higher risk of breaking things, not getting things properly set and tight, and with those issues comes hours of aggravation and swearing at inanimate objects. (This also can still happen with all the right stuff as it can happen from time to time around here, especially those little ears that the rear of the trigger guard pins to. Those can snap in a heart beat.)

Back