17 hmr for fox?

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: 64kodiak Quote:Any time you ask "Is a .17HMR enough for......?" around here, you know full well you are about to stir up a sh!t storm.

Personally I see alot of oldtimers knee-jerking their answers when it comes to all rimfires. How many of those guys REALLY believe it takes a .223 to kill a 10# critter? That notion is ridiculous IMO and needs further discussion.

Now we are getting closer to understanding each other. I don't believe the blanket statement of the hummer being ONLY good for varmints. I have even gone so far as to say that in the proper hands it is capable of out doing it's original intents, the key word however is "In the right hands".

When someone says (paraphrasing)"I have done the research, and know the popular consensus, but want to ask anyway". This lends me to think that they want to kick the hornets nest and watch as others deal with it. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But I bet someone is having a nice laugh as we set here and point fingers.

Chupa

man for a guy that says "dont pretend to know me or my intentions" you sure do a [beeep] of a lot of it yourself, how about taking some of your own medicine?? i did SOME research, only found SOME info. figured i would ask more experienced people (as i am new to the sport) but apparently i guess you have to know everything about predator hunting before being respected or taken seriously

i have read "bro", and did use the search, sorry if im "late" guess im not cool enough to be on time,lol. if everyone used the search feature then there would be no new questions

Originally Posted By: davejohnson3i have read "bro", and did use the search, sorry if im "late" guess im not cool enough to be on time,lol. if everyone used the search feature then there would be no new questions

"New" questions are always welcome. Bro

Chupa

sorry i did not use every means possible to make sure what i was posting had never been posted before, for fear i may upset the mighty "chupa"
thumbdown.gif

how about this: since your not helping me, move on?
thumbup.gif

LOL great thread.

I enjoy spirited discussions.

My advice is shoot the Hummer at some fox and see if you think it's up to the task. Imo you'll enjoy the caliber(immensely) and it'll be effective for you as long as you're not trying to pop them at excessive ranges.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: davejohnson3sorry i did not use every means possible to make sure what i was posting had never been posted before, for fear i may upset the mighty "chupa"
thumbdown.gif

thumbup.gif

I dont think you no longer need help in this....every good thing about the hummer and every bad thing was covered!. some spoke of how they personally felt towards it and some gave Facts. you have opinion on ammo, distance, I even gave you a link with comparisons on it.

the first page was more than enough info for your question, so in reality you should move on as well!.

happy hunting

Lonnie

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 64kodiak

My advice is shoot the Hummer at some fox and see if you think it's up to the task. Imo you'll enjoy the caliber(immensely) and it'll be effective for you as long as you're not trying to pop them at excessive ranges.

Best advice in this thread so far.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: lon0121Originally Posted By: davejohnson3sorry i did not use every means possible to make sure what i was posting had never been posted before, for fear i may upset the mighty "chupa"
thumbdown.gif

thumbup.gif

I dont think you no longer need help in this....every good thing about the hummer and every bad thing was covered!. some spoke of how they personally felt towards it and some gave Facts. you have opinion on ammo, distance, I even gave you a link with comparisons on it.

the first page was more than enough info for your question, so in reality you should move on as well!.

happy hunting

Lonnie

and nor am i begging for more answers, i have made my decision

"i am going to use it wether people like it or not now, as i am confident it will do the job."

thank you for those of you who helped

Originally Posted By: davejohnson3Originally Posted By: lon0121Originally Posted By: davejohnson3sorry i did not use every means possible to make sure what i was posting had never been posted before, for fear i may upset the mighty "chupa"
thumbdown.gif

thumbup.gif

happy hunting

Lonnie

and nor am i begging for more answers, i have made my decision

"i am going to use it wether people like it or not now, as i am confident it will do the job."

thank you for those of you who helped

now ya get it....
thumbup1.gif

good luck

lonnie

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: ARDavePros.

I knew you could do it Lon! You finally made it.....You're a PRO!!!!!!!LOL

Chupa
thumbup.gif
thumbup1.gif

i would just like to thank pm!

Originally Posted By: horse482I don't think you will have any problems killing a fox with a .17hmr. I killed one with my 22lr at about 80 yards drt.

Oh [beeep]'

Originally Posted By: horse482I don't think you will have any problems killing a fox with a .17hmr. I killed one with my 22lr at about 80 yards drt.

blink.gif

I've shot them at 60 with a 22lr without issue. Again, we're talking about a 10-12# critter, not a 125# wolf. Shot placement rules.

Back