9MM VS 45ACP 1911

k145174_1248450523307.jpg

Depends. I conceal carry a small Taurus in 9mm for around town and well it's pretty much with me all the time because it's compact and easy to carry. When I go out calling I open carry my full size 1911. I hunt in what game and fish nicely call, 'homeland security issues,' so I always carry a hand gun.

Both...however if I had to pick just one - .45 ACP. I do carry Kimber Pro Carry, 26 or 66 3"..high rise pancake or IWB..one size larger cotton shirt [no t-shirts]..xtra magazine or speedloader in strong side shorts pocket[ hey, I live in FL, flaunt it while my IL/OH brothers are shoveling out].

I got small hands, gimme a single stack anyday. I've got a Para that holds 5+1 and has the LDA trigger. Some don't like carrying the 1911's locked and cocked so thats something to consider if you're really debating which one is for you.

peace.
unloaded

Whichever I could shoot the best. With todays ammunition, 18 rounds of 9mm is not a laughing matter. Having said that I carry a Glock 27 with 10 rounds of 40 S&W.

I only make it out to shoot my handguns maybe once or twice a year. I already have the 9mm and the 1911. I was thinking of getting rid of one or the other. I have a Ruger LCP that I carry when I want to go light. I was just wondering what you guys would rather carry.

Personally I would go with the 45. I would rather strike with the hand of god than just the finger. I realize the 9mm allows you to carry more ammo, but realistically, the odds of needing more than a couple shots is unlikely. In the average self defense shoot out, only 1.5 shots are fired according to my ccw instructor. I think carrying a weapon that your comfortable with and will put down any adversary with one shot even without hitting vitals is much more important.

Originally Posted By: Shoes8 rounds isn't enough for todays battlefield....

With an extended magazine I have 9 rounds with a very bad attitude.
tt2.gif

Although I have a few 9mm's, I only carry a .45. Having several .45's, sometimes a difficult decision, mostly a Kimber ultra cdp, but as of late has been a Kahr pm45, which I really like alot.
Barry

well with some hot loaded 9mm 115 Jhp i am getting 530 FPE with my Ruger SR9 fullsize and it had adjustable sights and is accurate and fun to shoot
and from what i can find on the 45acp it looks like 620 is the max power here maybe 700 with hot loads

but then ya have the extra weight of the ammo
extra cost of the ammo and the gun isnt nearly as pleasurable to shoot as a 9mm
deff more power with the 45 but i stick with the 9 for just the weight savings
why not get a 357 sig? power weight savings and power it makes over 800 FPE but is kinda pricey again
main reason i like the 9 i can buy cheap bulk ammo for plinking and then run some hot handloads for hunting but the 357 sig is in my feature along with the 10mm

If this question is for a choice between the two for "social purposes", there is no choice in my (experienced) opinion. No matter what "numbers" you look at, look at real world experience. The .45acp is more effective, period. I can reload my weapon so round count in the magazine is not a factor. Even if concealability is a factor, you can get a smaller .45acp. Cost of practice ammo, I can reload.

In my lifetime, I have had to "bet my life" on a .45acp a few times. It did not fail me. I cannot think of a single reason to experiment now.

I shoot a 9mm better, plain and simple, so I carry a 9mm. With the newer bullets like Hornady's Critical Defense ammo uses the 9mm has become more potent. But in the end a bullet that misses its mark is worthless and I'm better at putting more 9mm's where they need to go even if I don't need them all.

In my opinion, there is no comparison between a .45 and a 9mm. Everyone has always argued for the number of rounds a 9mm has, compared by a more restricted number of rounds a .45 has. If you are good at aiming at what your shooting at, you don't need the extra rounds a 9mm offers. A 9mm lacks the knock down and it might very well take those extra rounds to survive a situation. I currently carry a EAA Witness .45 poly and I'm thrilled with it. 10+1.

EAAWitness.jpg

Back