What's your favorite Upland Shotgun??

SodakJim

I bought this Beretta AL-2 new 44 years ago. I have never had a single problem with it in all that time. It has had well over 15,000 shells through it from light trap to heavy 2 3/4 inch waterfowl loads (Pre-Steel shot). I have 4 barrels and 18 chokes for it. It weighs just under 7 lbs. and it's still pleasant to shoot with heavy field loads.

The old gal still looks nice too and I have taken good care of her.
100_0718.jpg
100_0723.jpg
100_0729.jpg
[
100_0727.jpg
100_0720.jpg
100_0719.jpg
100_0722.jpg

I can't post pics, but I've got my Grandfathers Browning "sweet sixteen". I can't imagine a better easy to carry shotgun. I remember when he bought it new in 1967, and it still looks new.
It is my most prized possession in the gun safe.
Every time I use it, it feels like he's still with me.
Oh how I miss that man.

Shayne
'

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 I can't post pics, but I've got my Grandfathers Browning "sweet sixteen". I can't imagine a better easy to carry shotgun. I remember when he bought it new in 1967, and it still looks new.
It is my most prized possession in the gun safe.
Every time I use it, it feels like he's still with me.
Oh how I miss that man.

Shayne
'

The sentimental value makes it all that much better.

My son-in-law has the same Browning Sweet 16 that belonged to his grandfather. The gun does not fit him well and he complains that it kicks him in the face with heavy field loads. He has since retired it to a place in his closet.

I had a Browning B2000 since I was a kid that I absolutely loved. They are a really overlooked shotgun in my opinion. This last fall I bought a Beretta A400 Xplor and absolutely love it. Very light recoil, fast follow up shots, and a pleasure to pack.

Originally Posted By: stealthmanThis last fall I bought a Beretta A400 Xplor and absolutely love it. Very light recoil, fast follow up shots, and a pleasure to pack.

If I had to buy another semi-auto it would likely be the Xplor.

Say Hi to all my friends and relatives in Spokane for me. I lived there for 50 years.

I got an 870 Wingmaster in the 60's and never could get good with it, just figured it was normal to hit 50% or less. Then a few years ago I heard that stealthman and his dad shot B2000 shotguns so I bought one and holy crap I hit almost every bird I shot at! Hunted with it for a couple of years and got mad because it would not cycle the cheap shells so I sold it and bought a Charles Daly semi auto. I can shoot the Daly just fine and I save alot of money as most of the time it jams and I only get one shot. Got 2 chukar a couple of weeks ago with two shots and was lucky there was time between shots to cycle in a new shell by hand.

1960's Remington 1100 in 28 guage. 2 barrels and in excellent condition, also have a 20 and 12 guage from the same time period but the 28 is king!

Originally Posted By: GCBeretta O/U...

YEP ... hard to beat a good O/U for birds. Maybe it's the "correct" look that they have? I use either a Remington Premier 28 gauge O/U, or a Citori in 12 gauge.

I'd LOVE to find another straight-stocked Remington 1100 "Special Field" that I could obtain at a reasonable price. That's one of the guns I sold over the years that I desperately wish I still owned.
cry.gif

Hildago,
I can't hit squat with a Browning... just don't fit me. This is Browning country and I really like the Citori, the Browning repair shop in the Midwest isn't too far from me and that is always a plus. But for whatever reason I just can't shoot 'em. Beretta's on the other hand bring out the best of my feeble shooting skills. I have a couple Beretta O/U's, a .20 and a .12 gauge. I also have a Weatherby/SKB .20 that I shoot well enough. And quite honestly, I really like the little Weatherby a great deal. My son and I shot some Sporting Clays this morning tuning up for a combo Sporting Clays/Pheasant Shoot at a local place next Saturday. It was a good morning.

The local Wal-Mart had one of those Remington Special Field .20 gauges that sat in their revolving rack for what seemed like a couple of years. They began marking it down, and down, and eventually I noticed the discounting. I think they had it down to $470-something and I begged my wife to buy it for her. We could have the stock cut down to fit her petite frame and with the 23" barrel it would have made her a dandy little gun. Nope... she didn't like it and I couldn't convince her otherwise. I should have bought it anyway right then, but really had no use for it for me so we walked off. Less than a week later I decided what the heck, I'm going to go ahead and buy it. You know what happened, right?
frown.gif

20 gauge - 870 Express youth model.

Short, light, sweet on the swing, and it's hard on pheasant! Bought that one for the wife GC, and then told her it was for her! Now if I could only convince her to quit flinching before squeezing the trigger, she could maybe hit something with it, but... to date EVERYTHING was a foot to foot and half high and left.

Loaded it without a round in the chamber, and she about tipped over she was leaning so hard into it when she squeezed the trigger.
lol.gif

I've had pretty fair luck with it shooting pheasant though!
grin.gif

Rocky,
After the Remington Special Field fiasco, I took the wife to a gunshop where they had a Beretta Youth Model .20 gauge semi-auto, cute little bugger and handled like a dream. She didn't want it either!!! After handling several different shotguns she ended up with exactly what your wife has - a Remington 870 Youth Model .20 gauge. She has the standard shot barrel and since she shot it pretty well, I bought a rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope mount. It shoots fairly well with slugs. It is surprising with turkey loads from that short shot barrel. I bought an Indian Creek BDS turkey choke and with Hevi 13 turkey loads it is a solid 40 yard gobbler gun.

Originally Posted By: GCHildago,
I can't hit squat with a Browning... just don't fit me. This is Browning country and I really like the Citori, the Browning repair shop in the Midwest isn't too far from me and that is always a plus. But for whatever reason I just can't shoot 'em. Beretta's on the other hand bring out the best of my feeble shooting skills.

Gary, it's kinda like Fords & Chevys as far as I'm concerned. They're both great guns and there are definitely differences in the stock dimensions. Like your Berettas ... I never saw a Cirori that I didn't like.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: GCThe local Wal-Mart had one of those Remington Special Field .20 gauges that sat in their revolving rack for what seemed like a couple of years. They began marking it down, and down, and eventually I noticed the discounting. I think they had it down to $470-something and I begged my wife to buy it for her. We could have the stock cut down to fit her petite frame and with the 23" barrel it would have made her a dandy little gun. Nope... she didn't like it and I couldn't convince her otherwise. I should have bought it anyway right then, but really had no use for it for me so we walked off. Less than a week later I decided what the heck, I'm going to go ahead and buy it. You know what happened, right?
frown.gif

As for the Special Field 1100, I sold the little gun to raise funds for a new duck gun. I thought ... "Heck, I'll never need this thing anymore".
cry.gif
I promised myself recently that I would NEVER sell another gun unless it was a financial situation that directly threatened my family.
wink.gif

Steve.

Back