Need ammo advice for .270

TN Pred Hunter

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask a question about ammo. Just started hunting with a friend this past deer seaon in Tennessee. Borrowed his gun and was lucky enough to get a 10 pointer my first season. Wife made me wait on buying a rifle until I was sure I thought it was something I would enjoy. I love it! Bought my first deer rifle - Ruger M77 MarkII in .270 with a Swift 4x12 scope (it was a package at a local gun shop and only one of two that was bolt action in left hand). Spent more than I wanted to, but my wife's logic, knowing me like she does, was why buy a cheaper gun and have to go back out next year and want to get something better. Can't afford a second gun at this time and was wondering if anyone could recommend a round in that caliber? I know a .270 is probably overkill, but it's what I've got.

Forgot to mention, wanting to start out hunting coyote.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. i have used a 270 for coyote hunting. when i first started cus it was the only gun i had also. i used 100gr. remington bullets in mine and they shot good. never had a chance to shoot a coyote with them though. but i did shoot a fox and it blow it up pretty bad.

i have remington 270 pump i use for deer hunting and iwas using it for foxs untill a few years ago i shot winchester 130gr silver tips the way i look at it you already zeroed for what deer huntin with. a 270 gonna do some damage no matter what grain bullet your using.

I reload and use 110 grain vmax and 100 sierra. You have to be right on with the 270 in my experience to avoid run offs. You can only get the bullets to go so fast. The faster the better. Speed kills. I don't have any experience with factory ammo [beeep]. I have shot some amazing groups @ 200 yards with the vmax from my BAR Safari with a Boss. Good luck with your new bazooka!!

My son and I were just having this conversation last night.

I have a 270 that I was going to give him to take back to AK with him for wolf, lynx, fox, etc; he owns a 300 win mag.

The ideal bullet would be fragile and do its business within the predator, no exit hole less pelt damage; I doubt that is possible with any 270 bullet. The other option is a heavy bullet pass-through shot with no expansion but then you run the risk of a "runner" as some call it and never recover the animal.

I thought about reduced loads with SR 4759 which lowers the velocity to 1600-2000fps with 100 & 110 bullets. With a good expanding bullet will this velocity create less pelt damage than the same bullet traveling at 3000fps?

Is there a good choice for the 270 on predators that won't destroy hide or result in a "runner"?

Originally Posted By: smilinIBI think we owe the animal a quick and humane kill foremost.

Agreed! The question is can this be done with a 270 bullet/powder load that will result in a quick kill without a fist size exit hole.

I have had my left handed 270 rem model 700 since i was eight. When i hunted heavy woods i was shooting 180gr core loks. I now shoot 150 gr core locks. I have only lost one deer with it when i was 13. I shoot factory core loks 150gr and love em. It brings home the meat.

If you reload, get some Sierra 90 grain hollow points. They're varmint bullets and would probably be your best choice for coyotes. I've used them for years and run them past what the book says max should be, and they shoot very well and they do blow prairie dogs up pretty good. Can't say for sure what they would do to a coyote. There are lots of rounds that will scatter smaller varmints, yet rarely exit a coyote. I don't think a 270 would be one of those, but you never know till you try. I can assure you that the animal will die very quickly if you hit anywhere near anything vital.

Originally Posted By: smilinIBI think we owe the animal a quick and humane kill foremost.

Id say with a 270 it will be quick and humane for sure

I would use Hornady 270 Win 130 gr GMX® Superformance®
I would use it for everything and it will group good.270 will make a mess with yote and smaller.Don't shoot full metal jackets,over 3000 ft per second and it will not expand to slow it up.Livestock,people,houses just ain't worth it.Plus the yote deserves better.No need in suffering.

Originally Posted By: blake1Originally Posted By: smilinIBI think we owe the animal a quick and humane kill foremost.

Id say with a 270 it will be quick and humane for sure

Originally Posted By: 243kimberI reload and use 110 grain vmax and 100 sierra. You have to be right on with the 270 in my experience to avoid run offs. You can only get the bullets to go so fast. The faster the better. Speed kills. I don't have any experience with factory ammo [beeep]. I have shot some amazing groups @ 200 yards with the vmax from my BAR Safari with a Boss. Good luck with your new bazooka!!

Obviousy not. Some use varmint bullets.

I have killed alot of deer,4 yotes,several ground hogs.I don't remember exact weights,for sure nothing smaller than 100 grain,most stuff between 130 to 150 grain nothing bigger.REM,WIN,Hornady,Fed.Anything smaller than a deer is messed up in a big way.I would say .270 is the best deer caliber going.I shoot a 7mm rem mag now,kind of overkill.A 270 is hard to beat.

Back