r-25 owners?

1coyoteslayer

I am looking hard at getting an r-25 in .243 or 7mm 08 just wanted to know are these rifles acurate enough to say hit a milk jug at 5 to 600 yards every shot off the bench. I already own a r-15 18" .223 and am very impressed with its accuracy. also looking into the 6.5 6.8 and or 30 ar just dont know in ten years what the availability of ammo going to be?

I have an r25 in 243 and can bag the 9" steel gongs that I have set at 300 and 400 yds. I have one at 500yds but by the time I got it built the weeds were to tall for me to see it so I had to revamp it and did not have a chance to shoot it before hunting season. A couple of summers ago we went to south dakota and I was rolling PD's at 3&400yds. Never had any longer shots but to hit a milk jug at 5 or 600 yds would not be beyond the guns performance. Don't know about the shooter.

While my R-25 is not in either of the cals you mention, it is easily a 3/4" rifle with good loads and still shoots very well with Rem. 150 core-lokt.
(.308)

I have the R-25 in 243win and cant say nothing but GOOD about it. I also have the R-15 223rem 18" and they are both shooter's...

My experience with the R-25 has been good. I've had one in .243 for a little over 2 years with acceptable results for what I use it for. It's my dedicated night rig and it gets used hard on a regular basis. Shooting at night, the longest shots on coyotes are a few hundred yards at most, so accuracy isn't a huge concern as long as it stays under 1" at 100 yds. which it does, but not by much.

Based on what I've experienced after trying numerous loads through it, the rifle in it's stock configuration is not an accurate enough rig for consistent 500-600 yard hits on small targets like groundhogs and praire dogs. I'm sure it would be fine for ringing the large plates and for humanoid type targets at that distance though.

The stock factory trigger on the R-25 was one of the worst I have seen. The best thing I've done to mine is exchange the stock trigger for a Jewell 2-stage adjustable trigger, which makes all the difference in the world for the longer shots. On the range, I've noticed the barrel tends to heat up and your shots will wander with rapid fire or long shot strings in warmer weather, at least mine does.

This has nothing to do with your accuracy question, but if you are going to use it in the field regularly, the extra $$ for the camo is not worth it in my honest opinion. The camo coating seems to mark and chip very easily. Where the forearm of mine rests in the shooting sticks' rubber clad yoke, the camo is entirely worn through in areas and appears white in color.

Based off what I've experienced with the R-25 I have, if I had to buy one again I'd go directly with a DPMS LR-243 rather than the rebadged Remington version. All in all they aren't bad guns, but be willing to spend a couple hundred additional dollars for an aftermarket trigger to bring the best out of it.

Back