FRUSTRATED!!!!!!

Crown21

I have a R-15 in 223 with a 1-9 twist rate. When i purchased it it was very accurate and had no issues. I missed a couple gimme shots on yotes last week so i figured i better get on a bench and check it out. I have since shot 150 rounds down the barrel bought a brand new scope and one piece mount and the best I can get is a 8 inch group!! If you can even call that a group! It just seems to spray bullets everywhere. I have cleaned the gun before each bench session. Tried 3 scopes with different mounts every time. And have tried 3 different factory rounds. 2 55 grains soft points and a winchester silver ballistic tip. Don't remember exactly what bullet those use cause I was so frustrated i tossed the boxes! Looking for any thoughts or ideas you all may have.

Thanks,
Crown

Pardon this small joke I made last month, but maybe this is what I was talking about back when I made that post before.
The guys that remember that thread might get a giggle out of it.

Anyway. As to your dilemma. I'd take the free float tube off and check to see if the barrel nut somehow wiggled lose. If you're barrel nut isn't torqued properly, it could have some unpredictable jump when you fire.

Its either scope or BBL and since you have tried several known good scopes,...Well, start looking at the BBL. All the things posted above. BBL nut, Crown damage, Look down the bore etc.

As long as the gas tube is still on the rifle I can't see how the barrel nut could come loose?

But other than the scope, mounts or an extreamly fouled barrel (it sounds like he's ruled those out) it's a head scratcher.

Good luck.

Well I have givin the rifle to a gun smith to figure out. Today I put a tension pin in to eliminate the slop between the upper and lower. Went out shooting and had no change. Don't really know what to think!

Are you using a bipod attached to the barrel or sitting the barrel on the rest. Made that mistake and got the results you are talking about. Just a thought?

I would have to guess the crown or some other barrel damage is the likely culprit. But, I am just guessing and would have given it to a gunsmith as well.

can you put another scope on the gun, a known good one? I know its a long way to send it to AZ, but I'll try to help as much as I can.

It's odd that it shot well and then degraded. My R15 was the same a year ago as it was before I sent it to Scott for a stainless barrel. I thinking that either something came loose like your barrel nut, the crown got damaged, or the rifling got damaged maybe in cleaning. Hopefully it is just something loose.

Back