17 hmr for fox?

davejohnson3

so i have done some searching about this but there seems to be 2 sides to the story. some claim they drop fox out to 200 yards with a chest shot, and some say that you can shoot one 5 times with one and it will just laugh and walk off
rolleyes.gif

so does anyone on here have any personal experiences with using a 17 on fox? i would most likely be calling and shooting grays about 70% of the time if that matters at all. i would probably only have shots 100 yards max

never had a problem shooting red fox out to 175 yards, never had to shoot one more than once either. i hunt two farms and the longest shot i could take is about 350 yds but i wouldn't use the 17 hmr for that distance. i just call them in close (about 100yds) and shoot them. never had a runner yet. i shot one in the chest at 175 yds and it drooped him in his tracks. I'm sure you will hear other people who will disagree with me but I'm telling you this from my experience.

I think a fox is the limit for 17 HMRs. And that is pushing it in my personal opinion.

Before I say any more though, keep in mind: only you are the one who can determine if you are comfortable using a .17 HMR on a fox.

My personal experience is that the .17 HMR really looses its energy quickly, so you would really want to be sure of shot placement. If you shoot beyond 100 yards, I would personally be careful not to hit him in a boney area because I am not convinced that it would penetrate enough to cause a fatal wound.

100 yards would be the MAXIMUM that I personally would shoot a fox at. However, there are others that pull longer shots off regularly and the fox is DRT. I still think its not wise to shoot a coyote with one though...

Ultimately it just boils down to your comfort level and skill level IMO.

i wouldnt use it for yotes, just fox, actually i came across some ballistics numbers where a 17 actually carries more energy beyond 100 yards than a 22 mag, and i have heard of people shooting them that far with a 22 mag.

Heres my story. I called in a red to 35yards (roughly) I shot him with the 20g gamepoint right in the chest. He was facing me. Very little blood and no recovery. I say no for the 17hmr.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyHeres my story. I called in a red to 35yards (roughly) I shot him with the 20g gamepoint right in the chest. He was facing me. Very little blood and no recovery. I say no for the 17hmr.

Do you wonder if it had to do with the bullet hitting bone? Those game point bullets seem to be pretty explosive in my experience. The .17 HMR seems to do best on soft tissue, but once a bone is introduced, it seems to lack the penetration you would expect.

I shot two jack rabbits standing next to each other some time ago. One was slightly obscured by a small bush and the other was fully within view. I shot the one within full view first about mid-torso and he dropped instantly and was DRT. Then I set my sights on the other that was slightly hidden by the bush and shot him in the upper shoulder. The jack then started screaming and flopping all around. When I came up on him, I noticed that his front shoulder was broken, but the TNT bullet I shot him with never penetrated beyond the bone. So I ended up having to finish him off up close. I wonder if that is where the .17 HMR's weakness lies?

Originally Posted By: davejohnson3i wouldnt use it for yotes, just fox, actually i came across some ballistics numbers where a 17 actually carries more energy beyond 100 yards than a 22 mag, and i have heard of people shooting them that far with a 22 mag.

read this,
http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

i vote magnum! just take less farther shots.

Last edited:
Luke, its possible, but just the reaction of the fox to the shot, you can tell he just wasnt impressed with what I brought to the party lol

Originally Posted By: Luke BaxterOriginally Posted By: getfoxyHeres my story. I called in a red to 35yards (roughly) I shot him with the 20g gamepoint right in the chest. He was facing me. Very little blood and no recovery. I say no for the 17hmr.

Do you wonder if it had to do with the bullet hitting bone? Those game point bullets seem to be pretty explosive in my experience. The .17 HMR seems to do best on soft tissue, but once a bone is introduced, it seems to lack the penetration you would expect.

I shot two jack rabbits standing next to each other some time ago. One was slightly obscured by a small bush and the other was fully within view. I shot the one within full view first about mid-torso and he dropped instantly and was DRT. Then I set my sights on the other that was slightly hidden by the bush and shot him in the upper shoulder. The jack then started screaming and flopping all around. When I came up on him, I noticed that his front shoulder was broken, but the TNT bullet I shot him with never penetrated beyond the bone. So I ended up having to finish him off up close. I wonder if that is where the .17 HMR's weakness lies?

I would say you probably hit the void between the bones if anything. My experience on groundhogs, which tend to be tougher than fox, is that the 20gr. Gamepoints penetrate too deep on fleshy gut shots and require a bone like a skull or shoulder blade to initiate expansion. The 17gr. polymer tips seem to splash on bone, but blow out nice in fleshy areas. I use the 20's and shoot for heads and shoulders on everything. I used my 17HMR exclusively while trapping this year and there was no pelt damage on any of my takes and most were head shot. These animals included coons, red fox, skunk, possums, and a groundhog. The possums were the only ones that didn't drop DRT. I did shoot some of these animals free range at a distance while on my way to the traps. Distances were point blank to 80yds.

I've had no luck with my .17 HMR on Jack Rabbits out to 80 yards. I wouldn't try .17 HMR on anything else. Great target gun, a lot of fun to shoot, but as for killing power - I've not had a positive experience.

My friend recently took a 60yd shot at a coyote with his .17 HMR. Head shot, coyote shook it off - literally. Started trotting away, when another buddy had a shot with his .223. Dropped in it's tracks.

I'm sure others have had better experiences but I'm convinced a heavier round with more energy is required, at least where I hunt, for fox, bobcat, etc.

Quote: My friend recently took a 60yd shot at a coyote with his .17 HMR. Head shot, coyote shook it off - literally. Started trotting away, when another buddy had a shot with his .223. Dropped in it's tracks.

Where was the hit from the hmr.? At that distance a centered head shot will put a big hurtin on a yote for that matter any head bone hits will be alot more than a shake off more like hittin the ground and then maybe get up.

Last edited:
I have to defend the HMR. I started using it this season. I too had read the nay saying but knew a few experienced ethical hunters that vouched for it. It is the only thing I use now. Very impressed. Drops them a whole lot better than a 22 mag. Thats what my friend uses. Not sure why. He also uses fragmenting ammo. I guess the extra fps makes a difference. I know that statement is far from scientific but it's been our experience with a few dozen red foxes between the two of us this season. Doesn't wake up the neighbors either. PM me if you have any questions. I have tons of pics of foxes shot with hmr. Autopsy pics too, showing the damage to the shoulder. Bullet goes in and doesn't come out. Shot some over hundred yards at night and some as close 5 yards. Well one was 5 yards and almost ended up in my lap. When people say it's not enough gun and they had foxes run off I'm dumbfounded. If that's true Why doesn't it happen to me? Has to be a bad shot. Maybe a bad shot on the first outing with the hmr left a bad taste in their mouth. It would make me skeptical too I suppose. But if someone says they have used it more than a few times on foxes with the same results they need to hit the range because they're shooting poorly and blaming the caliber. Maybe it's like when the guy with the 300 mag tells me my 243 is too light for 50 lb sika deer. I'm not sure what else to say except ignore the negative posts. They're wrong. 100% positive, not a single doubt.

I mostly call in areas where it is rimfire or shotgun only so I shoot a 22 mag. To me it only makes sense to go with the most you can use when dealing with rimfires. I shoot a Savage 93 with heavy barrel.

Gabe

Originally Posted By: getfoxyLuke, its possible, but just the reaction of the fox to the shot, you can tell he just wasnt impressed with what I brought to the party lol

Ha ha. It sounds like a game of poker. "I see your .17, and raise you a .223"

I think the best use I have personally found for the .17 HMR is exposure for new shooters. No recoil to be felt, and accurate. I have gotten a lot of friends interested in shooting by using this caliber.

Originally Posted By: TakemI have to defend the HMR. I started using it this season. I too had read the nay saying but knew a few experienced ethical hunters that vouched for it. It is the only thing I use now. Very impressed. Drops them a whole lot better than a 22 mag. Thats what my friend uses. Not sure why. He also uses fragmenting ammo. I guess the extra fps makes a difference. I know that statement is far from scientific but it's been our experience with a few dozen red foxes between the two of us this season. Doesn't wake up the neighbors either. PM me if you have any questions. I have tons of pics of foxes shot with hmr. Autopsy pics too, showing the damage to the shoulder. Bullet goes in and doesn't come out. Shot some over hundred yards at night and some as close 5 yards. Well one was 5 yards and almost ended up in my lap. When people say it's not enough gun and they had foxes run off I'm dumbfounded. If that's true Why doesn't it happen to me? Has to be a bad shot. Maybe a bad shot on the first outing with the hmr left a bad taste in their mouth. It would make me skeptical too I suppose. But if someone says they have used it more than a few times on foxes with the same results they need to hit the range because they're shooting poorly and blaming the caliber. Maybe it's like when the guy with the 300 mag tells me my 243 is too light for 50 lb sika deer. I'm not sure what else to say except ignore the negative posts. They're wrong. 100% positive, not a single doubt.

i take it you yourself have in fact shot the 22 magnum at fox and have proof in the pics that it DOES NOT drop fox better than the 17??? im not asking about your friend shooting it, i want to know how you yourself did with both calibers when putting both in the same spot on the critter! and then you say the 17 drops fox better than a 22 magnum? educate us sir!

Last edited:
Seems like people either love or hate the 17. I bought me one last year to nite hunt with. I didnt shoot any fox but I did shoot about 50 coons. It wouldnt kill a coon with a single body hit. I now am on the hater side. There just aint enough lead to kill effectively in the event of a poorly placed shot. Why shoot a marginal gun? There are tons of better calibers or use a shotgun. Killing an animal is serious stuff and they all deserve a quick humane kill.

Got a nice grey with the hmr a few years back. Just over 100yds, slight angle broadside, 17gr vmax, bullet went in and fragmented into tiny pieces. The largest little fragments and plastic tip were just beneath the skin on the opposite side of the rib cage, bang/flop. Very impressed with how it worked, that one time.
On the flip side, have had poor results on MANY coons core/body shot with the hmr. Coons are considerably tougher than any fox though. Better all around results with the 17gr vmax bullets rather than the 20's. Did many tests with the 20's into all kinds of dead critters, meats, etc at all kinds of ranges. Have yet to recover a 20 that actually produces any kind of expansion, let alone fragmentation, usually just some slight deformation of the hollow point.
Playing with the 17 tnt's this season, but haven't had much cooperation with the critters so far. Hoping there will be a bit less fragmentation with a little more penetration.

Originally Posted By: muddydogSeems like people either love or hate the 17. I bought me one last year to nite hunt with. I didnt shoot any fox but I did shoot about 50 coons. It wouldnt kill a coon with a single body hit. I now am on the hater side. There just aint enough lead to kill effectively in the event of a poorly placed shot. Why shoot a marginal gun? There are tons of better calibers or use a shotgun. Killing an animal is serious stuff and they all deserve a quick humane kill.

i shot a coon with mine twice in the chest and it still squirmed about making a gurgling dying noise! i shot it in the head and he was lights out! i did drop opossum DRT with it with chest shots. can a 17 drop a coyote/ fox/ coon! sure! it can be done! but you must make a clean vitals hit if not aiming at the head. Same with a 22wmr. although a 22 magnum hits alot harder....the 17 reaches a little bit farther out but like any gun loses energy! and flinging a 17 or 20 grain pill at a target like a fox at far distances it is CRUCIAL to hit vitals.....or headshot! we have had the song and dance before..

Back