Another Valentine's Day fox for Alyssa!!!

Switch

During Valentine's Day 2010, Alyssa and I went out for a quick calling trip. She called in two foxes and I shot one. It was the very first animal she ever called in using a hand call. Fast forward to today. She came home from school reminding me that her first called in fox was last year on Feb. 14th and that maybe we should head out today and give it another shot. At first I didn't think we'd have the time, so I declined. She left understanding the time issue, but I could tell she was a little dejected. Well that just wouldn't do.

Fighting last light, we tossed everything into the truck and headed out. I knew we'd only have time for a single stand, so we hit our secret spot. I pulled a nice bobcat from this area last week and was hoping it would produce something for us again. I set her up with her pink hand call and camo chair. I sat to her side with the Browning loaded with Dead coyote. She started calling. I don't know what it is, but she hits this pitch that I know sounds amazing. About 5-minutes in, right after she starts up again, I spot a fox easing through the brush. Alyssa sees me draw down on the animal and starts doing this rabbit whimper and here he comes. He stops facing us at 45-yards and I put the bead on his chest and fire. I see fur fly off his head, but he starts to trot off. Just before he's out of sight, I fire again and then don't see him. Alyssa was sure she saw him drop. I wasn't so sure. I was amazed he left trotting after the first shot.

We find him a few feet from my last shot with two holes in the front of his head. He was a dead fox trotting for sure. Anyway, we were beyond happy and took a few photos before darkness closed in. I'm so glad she convinced me to go.

My cute fox caller
IMG_1623.jpg

The fox and the call
IMG_1626.jpg

A deadly team
IMG_1630.jpg

One last thing, it's hard to post a topic about a young girl enjoying the outdoors when another young lady has been recently taken from this earth at such a young age. I feel that the spirit of youth will persist and that the young everywhere are stronger for being outdoors. My daughter already knows the courage of a little girl in Texas and how she was called home too soon. Alyssa is a hunter through and through and they have that in common, and that will never change.

RIP Raegan South.

That right there is what its all about...great story and pictures...i'm counting the days (more like years right now) until i can take my little one out with me! Congrats to both of you on an awesome valetines day fox!

Great post! You realize you have a Valentine tradition starting here, and what better way to spend it with a loved one. These are priceless memories that will never be forgotten. You are truly blessed.

I'm not sure how things get nominated for HOM, but if this thread isn't, it ought to be. I mean she initiated the whole dang hunt from the get-go. It just doesn't get much better than having a hunting partner like yours Tim.

Way to call them in Alyssa. Great job!!

Switch, Give that girl a hug and kiss everyday even when she starts to think she dosn't need them. They grow up way too fast.

Jim

Thanks guys. We just finished skinning out the fox. Alyssa really wanted to get it mounted, but we convinced her she can get the first animal she shoots mounted.

Troy, she's a maniac about hunting. I think she would go every day if she could.

Cory, I got to imagine you'll have those little ones out with you soon. Alyssa has been heading out with me ever since she was seven.

Awesome post especially the ending! and looks like your little girl had a great time! Thanks for sharing
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Back