My light project begins!

unloaded

Decided to make my own LED for night hunting. First round of parts arrived, if I stopped now I'd be happy but I've got more parts coming to hopefully make it even better. Ordered empty flashlight body and extension and red LED module. Here are some pics:

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

The beamshot, hard to get a pic of:
light3.jpg

light4.jpg

Some pics of the body and extension:
light5.jpg

light6.jpg

Right now I'm running on 2x CR123 batteries, but soon will have 2x 18650 rechargables in it. Also the reflector on the LED module is orange peel and gives the light lots of flood. I've got two different relectors that are smooth coming for more throw less flood. I've also got an aspherical lens coming that tightens the beam even more. I figure I'll find some combo that works for me. I'll post more when the rest come in.

peace.
unloaded

Cool stuff.
What are the specs on the red LED module?
How about the measurements on your light/s (length in various configurations)

The light is a clone of the Surefire 6P if you're familiar with them. I put the batteries in for scale. Here are the specs on the LED module:
http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=29&id=38

Here is the body:
http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FB&s=1&id=19

And the extension:
http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FA&s=16&id=60

The nice thing about the module, it is rated for 4v-11v, the driver circuit protects the LED from too much voltage. Adding the second battery will double my runtime, not brightness.

peace.
unloaded

very cool. I'm sure you'll have a sweet light when you're done. I like that site. lots of interesting stuff. My kill xlr 250 light is definitely going to end up on ebay in the next couple weeks.

Last edited:
i put one of the 10 dollar dealextreme red led modules in that same body....works to 130 yards...and lights eyes well beyond....the led your using should work fine...

Unloaded...out of curiosity...how much $ you figure you'll have into this setup once complete (light, batteries, charger etc. etc.)!?

For the light itself with new lens and reflector and pressure switch +/- $50. 2 batteries and charger will add $20, gun mounts will also make it go up. Between the two places I've ordered parts from my total came to right around $140. The same as a 250KL kit. I ordered quite a bit more parts than what it would take just to make my light. I've got 7 differrent gun mounts coming, 6 18650 protected batteries & 2 chargers, a few reflectors and lenses, an external HD enclosure....As you can see, I'm getting a lot more pieces for my money. I don't expect the final product to be as good but it will be good enough for what I need and I love to tinker with things like this. I'm already pleased with the few parts I've got now. I'll try it this weekend if my other parts don't come before. Once I find the best combo I'll post the info and parts used.

peace.
unloaded

Unloaded,
My uncle built one just like that. I think the red led came from china? It took like 3 weeks to come? On The front of his light he used the front part of a scope. He can turn the scope peice and change the light tightness.

if you use the aspherical, take one of your reflectors and paint it flat black, otherwise you get too much spill. Aspherical lenses don't need reflectors, and all you need it in the light for is spacing. I did this with mine, and its a heck of a thrower now!

i took the 10 dollar DE red led added a copper tube thin walled to the end 6"..it was a little smaller than the lense..it fit tight inside.... it tightened it up...i think the shiny copper inside gave it throw...because i get 100 to 150 yards easy.....excellent light for a rim fire or shotgun...let my buddy use the other one....he went crow hunting..mounted it with the strap mount that WI sells with there kill light kits he turned it on and it withstood a box and half of 3" waterfowl load..

Got a chance to use my light lastnight. The spot doesn't seem all that bright, but it was a big full moon. Although the light doesn't seem bright once it hits eyes they glow like demon eyes. We got on yote at about 150y and should have got another at 75y but Murphy showed up. Still waiting on lens and reflector, it seems a few of the things I ordered are out of stock and they are holding up the rest waiting for them. I'm gonna try to get them to ship whats available.

peace.
unloaded

Back