6.5mm Patriot Combat Cartridge (6.5 PCC), AR-15 Specific 223 based wildcat

The Wolverine

Getting closer, reamers on the way to Black Hole Weaponry. This building wildcats stuff is addicting.

Specs and data to follow.

Last edited:
L to R: 223/5.56X45 62gr.FMJBT,Untrimmed 6.5 PCC case, Short loaded 6.5 PCC (2.238",1.625" case) w/ 100gr. Nosler BT.

123gr.Lapua Scenar(1.300",.547BC),125gr.Nosler Partition 1.172",.450BC)

P1000248.jpg

P1000249.jpg

Some recent new LC/Federal factory brass...really good stuff @ a great price...Factory annealled & flash-hole deburred @ the factory.

P1000239.jpg

P1000243.jpg

P1000240.jpg

P1000244.jpg

Hard to see the data. OF course I love AR based wildcats and I have been reading the thread over at AR15.com on this as well as reading about the 6.5/223 JD Jones did a long time ago. The 6.5 TCU has always looked good so this I am sure will work just fine.

DO you plan to run slow pistol powder in it to get the burn speed to push the 6.5 out of the 223 parent case at a respectable rate? I would think it will be a good 200-250m round that is easily and cheaply formed for use on hogs and deer. I think Hogdon has some load data that may be usable based on the TCU cartridges that would also work.

Do you think you may have to trim the case back a little like on the 25/223 to seat heavier bullets and still retain enough case volume.

I wish it was not so but I really think the max bullets to get good ballistics is still somewhere around 100gr. I know you can put bigger in them by playing with mags and cases but...just saying

I will probably end up with a one of these barrels to test and just because while waiting for another 25cal chambering to get done.

Last edited:
OK,here is a video clip of my original 6.5mm AR-TCU project test firing a 123gr. Lapua Scenar loads @ 2.260" COL & Un-Fireformed brass @ a Velocity of 2,194fps-2,222fps. Tested for functioning & Velocity Etc.

This one is tested using a Nosler 100gr.Ballistic Tip @ 2.260" COL.Un-Fireformed brass, Avg. Velocity of 2,469 FPS. Notice the bolt did not lock back (It was not loaded "Hot Enough")

Update,Gauges are shipping today to BHW...Hopefully BHW will
have the test barrel ready for shipping Monday Feb. 7th.

Test barrel will be a 18" SS P3, Wolverine will have updates
on the field testing on his outdoor range.

Hello Fellas, One of the best rounds in terms of Energy,Velocity,Good B/C etc. is the Hornady Interlock 100 grain Soft-Point (#2610).

The B/C is a very respectable : .358
Bullet Length: .969" (Doesn't take much case cap./space).
Bullet Construction is Excellent w/ Interlock Design and Small Lead Tip.
Bullet Expands Well Down to 1,600 fps.

Estimated Velocity w/ Fireformed Cases (Loaded to Max. COL & w/ 22" Bbl.) :
2,729 fps. @ 1,656 ft/lbs. of Energy.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65/Doc69er/P1000262.jpg
P1000264.jpg

P1000263.jpg

Trajectory/Energy Table Example: 6.5mm/.264 Cal. 100 grain Hornady SP # 2610 Bullet.

Muzzele Velocity FPS: 2,729 fps.
Muzzle Energy Ft./Lbs. : 1,656 ft/lbs.
Taylor Index: 10.1

Range Zero @ 100 Yards.

Velocity @ 250 Yards: 2,120 fps.
Energy @ 250 Yards: 1,000 ft./lbs.
Bullet Drop @ 250 Yards: 8.8" (Inches)
Taylor Index @ 250 Yards: 8.0

Velocity @ 500 Yards: 1,615 fps.
Energy @ 500 Yards: 580 ft./lbs.
Bullet Drop @ 500 Yards: 65"
Taylor Index: 6.2

Bullet is still Supersonic @ 860 Yards @ 1,130 fps.

Last edited:
It has been a crazy weekend, got the 18" Black Hole Weaponry barrel Friday, did not get a chance to put the upper together until after church today, did not get load put together until just before dark.

My quad rail was supposed to be here Thursday, it still is not here, I put it together anyway. I am leaving tonight for a two day hog hunt, my brother is picking me up at 10pm, and I will be testing the PCC on hogs.

I got the 120gr Hot-Cor, sighted a couple inches low at 25 yards, moved to a 100 yards it was two inches high, dialed it down 4 clicks, and shot twice more, before I ran out of daylight, One shot one clean is time consuming. I know two shots, is not a group but I am very happy with a 1/2", and I am ready for hogs.

When I get back I will get the chronograph out and see how close the computer is to the real thing.

IMAG0496-1.jpg

IMAG0472.jpg

IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0480.jpg

Last edited:
The Hog hunt was cut short after two hours in the stand the first morning, got a call from my wife, had some major drama with a employee, had to head back. I hope to get back to the test subjects soon.

I worked up a few loads a couple days ago, with so-so accuracy, had some wind gust and was getting groups up to 1 1/2 inch and was not happy about that.

Yesterday decided to see if it was me or the gun, took off the low power scope, and put on the Zeiss 6 1/2 x 20, and used my lower with the lightest trigger.

Much better results, now I know two shot groups are not a true test, but I am testing loads on a brand new caliber, I am not trying to build the most accurate load, I am trying to see what it will do, and how far I can push it.

The highest velocity that I saw was 2441 fps with the 120gr Speer hot-cor, I actually pushed it .2 grains hotter, but it was getting dark, and the chronograph did not read, and that is with a 18" barrel, I can not wait to see what the 22" will do.

I have some 100gr Hornady interlocks to work up. I also want to get some 90gr TNT's worked up for coyote.

I have been advised not to give actual loads until we get the dies that match the chamber, I am using a set of dies that are close, but having to hold it off the shell holder to make it work.

IMAG0499.jpg

IMAG0512.jpg

IMAG0513.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

Last edited:

That's great news Paul, I could not ask for better results than you have achieved thus far, 2,441 feet per second w/ the 120gr. loads translates to almost 1,600 foot pounds of energy w/ fantastic 100 yard groups !!! Looks like a solid 300 meter combo...

Paul, I may send you my 22" 6.5 PCC for field testing...
give me a buzz if you get a chance...

Below is Ballistic/Trajectory chart on the 6.5mm PCC cartridge
using the 120gr. Speer SPHC @ 2,541fps. w/ a 22' bbl.
It was sent to me by a fellow forum member...

0254d0c3.jpg

Good news, looks like this comming weeked Paul will be ready with my 22" bbl. build/upper unit.

So will some of the fireformed loads if the dies we are using sizes the cases properly, so we can't wait till then !

Speaking of dies, the die manufacturer emailed me and said the dies are going to the heat treating vendor
for heat treatment the first week of April So, we may also get the die sets back a little sooner than expected !

I/we have pre-ordered a dozen of Full Length dies sets, those of you who have emailed us will solid Interest/or gave us a
deposit will be getting this 6.5mm PCC widcat baby first...So it only leaves us with 10 sets to work with as one set is of
course will be set aside for myself and one for Paul. I had to pre-pay for the dozen sets so you can tell Its not a cheap proposal.

So in a nutshell, the best is yet to come w/ the full boat fireformed loads getting ready to punch some paper and
some big Hogs hopefully very soon, we are eagerly awaiting the 22" bbl. velocity and accuracy results, as we were
very satisfied w/ the 18" bbl. thus far with non-fireformed loads !

We are also trying to get the pressure testing as well as the ballistic gel done as soon as we can, provided our budget
allows as it is quite a expensive endevore.

We are expecting in the neiborhood of 2,541 fps. w/ the 120gr. Speer load and 2,637 fps. w/ the 100gr. Hornady load
based on the actual results w/ the 18" bbl. Paul has done so far...Stay tuned everyone.

OH, there will be a extra bonus for everyone in about two or three weeks, Paul get that HD camera ready !

Paul, you should be getting that package by this Wednesday...give me a buzz if you get a chance...

Last edited:

Next up for load trials are the light to medium weight 6.5mm bullets shown below:

From L to R :

Sie 100gr. Varminter(.930")...Nosler 100gr.Partition(.960")...Hornady 95gr.V-Max(1.025")...Nosler 100gr. BT(1.082")...Barnes 100gr.TTSX(1.155")...Barnes 110gr.Solid Sptzr.(1.300")

P1000496.jpg

The order in the picture was not correct, V-Max(Red Tip) then the Barnes TTSX(Blue Tip) then the Nosler BT(Brown Tip)...

Nice work fellas. I will be interested to see if the Barnes will stabilize for you since they are long for caliber.
I have had pretty good luck using the Load From a Disk software with my wildcats, 6BR, 25-284, and a couple based on the 376Steyr case. Dont forget to change the ambient air temp as the default is 70 degrees F. Good luck with your further dev. and keep us posted.

Back