75grn hornady in 25-06 anyone using?

jmferrel

Thinking about reloading my 25-06 in 75grn hornady vmax for some coyote hunting. anyone using this bullet in there 25-06. whats you best groups and powder and grns using. I will be shooting this out of savage bull barrel thanks john

I haven't used the Hornady but tried the Sierra 75 gr for 1 season. I found the 75 gr bullet just runs out of steam to fast. The Sierra bullet also has a hollow point, I've had no luck with an HP in my .25-06. Sometimes they would expand and other times not.

The best bullet for varmint hunting has always been the 87 gr from my experience. It lacks a little velocity against the 75 gr but probably catches up pretty quickly at over 100 yards.

I have not tried it on yotes, nor have I chrony'ed it yet,but my Savage/Stevens loves the 75gr. V-max.
57gr. of H-4350 and the 75gr. V-max produced a 5 shot, 100yd. group in the real low 3's. I'm hoping to be in the 3500-3700 FPS range. The book says about 3650, that will work.

Last edited:
I shot the 75 gr. Hornady years ago in my 25/06...it was NOT a Vmax bullet as the Vmax was not made then!

The one I shot was the Hornady #2520 75 gr. HP...these are likely a lot cheaper than a Vmax and do kill well. A powder that works well for these is Norma MRP.

I never noticed it "running out of steam" but then I didn't go downrange to stand in front of one...Pretty accurate, too.

Also, the 87 grain Hornady #2530 SP (lead tip)is worth trying as well.

You guys need to realize that the Vmax is not the only accurate or efficient bullet line out there...and the other ones are a lot cheaper!!!

Last edited:
Yeah...that bullet is DEFINITELY NOT fur friendly...it's built to be totally fur UNFRIEDLY.

My last 25-06, Rem Sendero, shot that bullet into very tiny groups at SCREAMING velo's I won't post. It isn't as long a range bullet as a 117-120gr due to the low BC, but once I had the drop dialed in it was just murder out to 350 yds or so.

Basically a full case of H4831 slightly compressed...plus 1.25" at 100yds, just slightly higher at 200, Zero at 250, minus 2" at 300 and minus 5" at 350...stonesville after that.

I have a 25-06 Savage switch barrel on the todo list for after I finish my 220 Swift and 6-284. I've had 3-4? Neidners over the past 40 odd years...can't seem to leave them alone.

Luck

Oddly, this is the most accurate bullet flying out of my Browning A-Bolt SS 25-06. I load it up with 50.7 grains of Varget and it'll print 3 shots into 5/8" groups at 100 yards with boring regularity. The gun barely holds 1 1/4" groups with any other bullet/powder combination or factory fodder. The last coyote I shot with it almost had his head completely ripped off. It has a pretty wicked smackdown.

I have yet been able to find a 75 v-max in the last year and a half.. The Speer 87 grain is VERY explosive also!
They were splattering on cardboard boxes...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys. Im not much on saving fur on coyotes. i think i willl try the hornady 75 grn vmax id like for it to be a stick of dynamite going off when it hits the coyote. thanks

Actually, ANY of the light bullets seem to shoot well in any 25-06 I've had...even the tiny Hornady 60 gr FP's I use in my 256 Win, but you can't load them up too high otherwise they just turn into a puff of blue smoke.

I've used mose of the 70 to 87 gr bullets, some I made, some I cast. This caliber has a wide acceptable bullet weight range and you DON'T have to load to the max all the time. You can produce velocites from 256 Win to almost 257 Weatherby and fit it to almost every game animal.

Luck

NFG:

I am unsure that you understood my post; that is, Hornady makes 75 gr., .257 caliber bullets that are NOT the V-max.

One does not have to be limited to the Vmax....

Another point about the 75 gr bullet is you need a faster powder to get the most out of it. When I shot it I used Win 760 and IMR4064 for this weight. Accuracy with IMR4831 was horrible in my gun. According to the load book I was moving mine at 3700 fps. Never had a chrony back in those days so I don't know what the real velocity was.

These were very accurate out of my rifle but just didn't have the killing power past 350 yards like the 87 gr bullet did from my experience. But these were an HP with a bc of something like .240 if can remember that far back.

I understood Buckeye...as I said, I've been shooting the 25-06 since the early 60's...quite a while before the VM's came out and I'm fairly familiar with most of the available bullets and many that are discontinued and I hoard those like gold. I have a few boxes of the old Nosler Solid Base in 22, 6mm, 25 and 7mm...I keep those for hunting NOT varminting.

Each rifle has it's own likes and dislikes...many times you have to try several types of powder and bullet combos to see which works best. I've used a lot of H4831 over the years in '06 size cases from 6mm up to 35 Whelen for different weight bullets. I learned a long time ago that nothing is sacred when it comes to cartridges and rifles.

I had a barrel chambered for the 25-06 mid 70's and throated long...I was all sweaty about the 257 Weatherby and wanted to get a bit extra pressure/velocity the same way that Weatherby does...FREEBORE.

I did just that and the Horn 120 HP shot well above published velocities...all safe, but not quite as accurate as a standard throat, but plenty good for rockchucks WAY out yonder past the 400 yd mark.

But I couldn't get anything below 90 gr to shoot for "stuff". My favorites, 87 Horn SP and 85 Nosler, just scattered like quail all over a paper plate. I tried almost all the available (at that time powders) without any luck.

I just about gave up when I read someone had tried 4064 with 87 gr bullet and hit a crow bustin' load. I had already tried 4895 both brands and 4320, and since 4064 was in the same burn rate I just blew it off.

I loaded up 5-Horn 87 gr/4064 rounds, seated the bullet out to the neck base and that weekend fired off a one holer you could cover with a dime. I totally freaked...but I had family commitments all that weekend and I was going nutz until my wife took pity and let me go reload a few more and crank them off.

I wore out that particular barrel with two loads...the 87 Horn/4064 and the 120 Horn HP/H4831 load...BOTH pushing the limits, well over published figures but also safe because of the freebore and extra NET case volume in the seating of the bullet...I got at least 15 reloads from each case which is excellent for that size case.

I learned a lot of lessons dealing with that rifle, the best of which was keeping an open mind to ALL the possibilities. It's not necessarily about being right or wrong, but always about open eyes.

RL-17 is proving to be a very good powder, you might try it. It's working well for my 22-243, I will try it in several of my rifles as time goes on and it should be great for the 25-06 and maybe Superformance will also work well it and also in any '06 size case...it really shines in the 30-06.

Luck

Back