Best Howler

Just wondering what you guys think the best howler out there is production or custom i want to hear about both?
Cause i have the little dog set just want to get a howler that doesn't sound so much like a pup.

I started out with production calls... I have several of the customs from the makers here also... there's no comparison as I'm sure you'd expect... save your money and get a custom
wink.gif

For production, a Primos Lil' Dog is hard to beat. Easy to master and sounds good. But custom howlers are better. Contact Kerry Carver(carvercalls on here), he make AWESOME howlers!

Can't say it's the "best", but I really like my Bees O'Brien cow horn howler with the Yellerdog Thunderdog tone board. It's the best I've used so far. They sell for around $30 to $35; sometimes he runs deals and they're even cheaper. Very easy call to use. VERY user friendly! Sounds great!

There are a lot of good calls out there though. I have a Tony Tebbe custom howler that should arrive tomorrow. CAN'T WAIT for it! Tony's howlers are VERY popular and sell about as fast as he can make them. They're more expensive, but all hand built; and pure custom. Been wanting to try one for a while now.

You can't have just one
thumbup1.gif
lol.gif
! LOL

Arden

I like using howler diaphragms with a amp horn they sound very realistic and are easy to learn. I have to agree with swimbait as well bees does make a good howler its what I use when I don't have my diaphragms.

Hey Amigo, let me put my two cents worth in here. Don't spend the money on the production call, save that money and apply it to a nice custom howler. You can get one of many good howler designers and makers to supply you with the howler you like.
You mentioned that you want to stay away from a pup voice howler. One of the most effective howlers I own is a custom built howler that is smaller and does great pup howls. Cooper17HMR

The 2 best absolute hand howlers I have ever used were Thompson's Red Desert Howler and Zepp's Kill Pole. Very well made and easy to manipulate...not very cheaply priced though

Originally Posted By: jlutcher51I like using howler diaphragms with a amp horn they sound very realistic and are easy to learn.

Exactly, I bought some TC diaphragms, & love them! I didn't think I would at first because they take a little longer to get used to than other calls do. However the time it took to learn to use them was well worth it. Best sounding howls I've ever heard from a call by far, & to top it all off they're hands free!

Look at turkey call competitions for example. At one time the friction calls & diaphragms were classed together. Now most contest seperate diaphragms from the friction calls because the friction calls stand no chance against the realism produced by the diaphragms. Same thing is true when comparing hand calls to diaphragms. I'd bet that in the near future the coyote calling competitions will class the latex calls such as diaphragms & the ELK separately from the open reeds. If they don't the latex calls will dominate the competitions. Just like last year.

Not trying to bash open reeds, or friction calls, they are both effective at calling in game, they just don't sound as good doing it as the diaphragms.

TC Diaphragms. you can get 2 or 3 of them for what you could spend on some primos stuff. The diaphragms are no doubt, the most realistic howlers and distress calls that I have ever came across.

For my money it's TC Custom diaphragms! The sound must be music to a critters ears, cause they just can't resist coming to it!!-----Ben Jimmy

Mine Killer. On the Arizona border. Can't wait to get home and turn some. I prefer my Howlers to be Less Dominant. Rick

Last edited:
I have a couple of Rick's howlers. Very nice.
I have heard good things about the Red River Howler. It's made by one of the guys on here. I don't remember which one.

I love Rick, Carver, Bad to the Bone, TT.

Have not tried the TC Diaphrams but would like to. Ric can make you just about anything and tune it to just about anything. Of course so can the other guys. One thing that I would definately suggest is getting a custom. If you order a custom have the builder through in some different reeds to make some different sounds and then all you have to do is switch reeds and your call options are endless.

Last edited:
"Best" is a subjective term.
What is "best" to one person, may not be to someone else.

Kris "Texas" Pfen...
I would suggest that YOU, yourself, decide what things about a howler would make it "the best" to you.

Things such as:
1) What material do you want it made from?
2) Do you want a production call, or a custom made one?
3) If a custom, do you want the toneboard to be made directly from the call body; or do you want a separate toneboard (either hand-made from another material; or a pre-made machined/or molded toneboard?
4) How wide/deep of an air channel do you prefer in the toneboard? (This will affect the amount of air it takes you to use the call, as well as possibly affecting the tonal quality.)
5) Do you want the reed/toneboard to have any tonal/pitch breaks, or none at all?
6) What general pitch do you want mid-reed, and do you want the tonal quality to be "clean & crisp"/"raspy"/or something in-between?
7) Since diaphrams have been mentioned, is that what you want instead?

Once you decide things like this, & can then give that info to the call maker (if getting a custom), the better call the call maker can create for you.

To call in a coyote, any howler you buy from any of the great call makers on this site is going to work...

That being said.....For realism you are not going to beat a latex reed call, specifically a diagphragm. TC diaphragms are the best I've used and I've tried many. Many will say you can't get enough volume with them to hunt with but with a good amp horn I can get just as loud or louder than most of these open reed calls.

Back