My first double of 2011

300magman

Well, me and a friend headed out to do some calling in an area we haven't hunted yet this year. We weren't expecting much, as the snow is very crunchy and there was supposed to be a pretty hard wind blowing today...that quickly changed as we saw 2 triples and 1 double in the fields just on the drive to our hunting spot!

The first and second stands we made were blanks, then on the third stand we had one come out to some fawn distress, but my friend missed it at about 175yds...it was a tough shot because the yote came out in about the only place we thought they would never come from (what else is new, haha).

The fourth set is when it really came together for us. We headed to one of our favorite spots in this area, and there was yote sign everywhere, so we were pretty pumped up to start calling. Started off with a female inv howl, and got a response right away. Howled back and forth with the yotes for a little while, then hit em with the challange howl. The male came out first, and he was barking and howling and making a heck of a racket on his way in, and the female wasn't far behind. I let them keep coming until the male was about 80 yds out...I shot the female (130 yds), then followed up quick on the male....the whole thing was done in less than 5 min from the time we let the first howl go. Because it was so early in the stand, we kept calling (switched to pup distress non-stop now), and pulled in another single for my buddy...he missed this one at 145 yds.

We had planned on doing another couple sets, but decided we should head to the range and see what was up with my friends shooting instead...3 1/4 in left and 5 in (WOW) low at 100yds...lets just say he wasn't to pleased that he lent his son his gun last weekend!

Enjoy the pics and good hunting everyone!

DSC02672.jpg

And a close up...

DSC02674.jpg

Those are nice/big looking. They also must have a lighter colored coat up North. (?)Noticed that in another pic. post from Alberta canada.

Originally Posted By: HookedThose are nice/big looking. They also must have a lighter colored coat up North. (?)Noticed that in another pic. post from Alberta canada.

Yeah, I think from what members here have said about some of my past pic posts, and what i've seen in other peoples pics from around canada/U.S., they are generally lighter up here. I'm up in the northern half of the province, and i even notice more reddy ones if I hunt the far south of the province by the montana border.

As for the size, we didn't have our scales, but I would guess the male at right around 50 lbs and the female somewhere around 40 lbs.

Back