Barrel Breakin on RRA Varmint???

I have a RRA PP and my break in went like this:
break new rifle dwon and clean action and barrel,
5 shots clean barrel
6-75 no clean groups start to open up
clean, foul barrel and it goes right back to shooting .5 inches
The Wilson Stainless match barrels in those rifles are supposedly lapped when they leave the factory
By the way, the only fouling I got out of mine was powder, I uses copper remover and NONE was present.
RRA actually says somewhere break in isn't necessary on these barrels.
If it makes you feel better you may want to chant over it some and sprinkle some fairy dust on it it will do just as much good.

Last edited:
I have a Predator Pursuit. Clean all the shipping stuff out and start shootin. Just make sure you clean after every time you go. Or after 50 shots. They are lapped from the factory and require no break in. I bet yours is lapped as well but check it out before you go.

What they said. I, like you when I got my first, just wanted to make sure I did it right. I talked to RR and Wilson and they both said shoot and have fun. I did just that...

It basically is a polishing if you will. You can spend hours and hours reading on AR barrel break-in. There are those who think that by shooting a few rounds and cleaning and repeating this over and over will "smooth out the barrel". When I talked to Wilson and asked them about this they said that would imply that they "Wilson" sends out barrels that aren't finished. They assured me that there was "absolutly nothing" that I as a shooter could do to improve their barrels. They said shoot and have fun. You will find people who totally disagree with this and will do the shoot and clean cause that's what worked for them. You'll have to decide that for yourself. I'm with the shoot and have fun crowd...

My method on any new barrel is to clean all gunk from the factory off & shoot. I also don't clean my barrels until accuracy starts to fade. This saves me time, cuts down on the cost of cleaning supplies, and many argue, barrel life.

There are many top bench rest shooter who follow this same method with excellent results. I figure if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me. YMMV

Might I also add that the barrels that are not lapped from the factory or maker probably are better off breaking them in. But you have in my opinion one of the best AR makers behind your AR.

Just cleaned the tube and took off to a friends house for bragging rights. Incredible accuracy and no trouble with the first 5 shot group or the last 5 shot yesterday. It hits in a .5 unless i screw it up.

Best of luck with a Great rifle,

Ted

Back