Howa 1500 22-250 Rebarrel Job

KS_Dog_Caller

I've been kicking this idea around. Haven't talked to a gunsmith yet, but thought I'd gather some thoughts and advice from here first. I currently own a Howa 1500 in 22-250, sitting in a Boyd's thumbhole. I'd like to upgrade to a stainless barrel, and in the process move into either a 22-250AI or 220 swift. Any thoughts? Would this be a wise move with this action, or would I be better off to sell the rifle and build on a different action?

KSDC---I'm not sure why you want to switch barrels? If it is a shooter, AI it, if that's what you want. If the barrel is blued, and that's what you don't like about it, cerakote, duracoat, or gunkote it.

Nothing wrong with a 1500 action. I like them.

I'd switch out the stock, myself......

Rebarrelling should be no different than any other action. Check PacNor or Shaw the both list the actions they will put new barrels on. Like said above , if it shoots good just have it rechamberred to AI the smith would only have to set the barrel back a smidgen and rechamber. A lot cheaper than new barrel and when you wear it out you can get a new barrel.

AWS

2much- I get the feeling from previous posts that you are not a fan of t-hole stocks!!
smile.gif

After rebarreling several Howa's, I have come up with a way to rebarrel them without ruining the action. 99% of the time, you need to cut just infront of the receiver ring to relieve the pressure on the barrel. This comes from experience and me having to buy 2 new guns due to warped actions. Howa's makes an extremely good custom gun as long as your smith can get the barrel off. Google "removing Howa barrel" and see the problems the other guys are having.

Back