"shoots lights out" Huh?

doggin coyotes

I'm sure most all of us have heard the term "it shoots lights out".

When somebody says or writes that, I fully understand they are trying to convey that "it's accurate". So how accurate are they talking about? Capable of busting street lights at 50 yards? Flashlight bulbs at a 200?
smile.gif

Where did that saying get it's start? How did it come about?

Maybe if I knew how "shoots lights out" all came about, I wouldn't think it was such a stupid description of a firearms accuracy. Or more than likely I still would. lol

Anybody know where it came from?

This used surely to be the sign of a marksman. He would shoot out the lights by shooting the wicks of the candles in a chandelier - and the trick was to do it without touching the wax.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyIm with ya doggin. Maybe an explanation of " shoots like a house afire" never understood that one either

How about "Runs like a striped a$$ ape", never understood that one either.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: getfoxyIm with ya doggin. Maybe an explanation of " shoots like a house afire" never understood that one either

Chupa

You ever seen one chupa? No ya havent. Ya know why? Cause they run, dont see them. Means it runs good

I always say "Shoots like Stink".
Makes about as much sense as any, and sounds cool IMO.

Don't know about the stripped azzed Ape thing, but my pop sure was fond of it.
"Runs like a scalded dog" is a good one that probably has some validity.
laugh.gif

Many of these I grew up hearing,some are a regional thing. So most of them I take in stride while reading but "shoots lights out" and "boolits" always slow my reading down.

The one I have trouble getting is "it's Sick" not cool to me. If it's sick take it to the doctor or shoot it or something.

"Cool Beans"- HUH? Quote from a friend.

I was at the range one day and ask a guy how his rifle was shooting? Man this thing shoots like a "Wet Dream" he said very exitedly. I peeked through my scope to see a four inch group. OOOOOOOOO Kay!!

Wet dream just doesn't equate to accuracy to me. I thought a wet dream was a misfire and certainly a miss. Maybe someone who has had one could tell us. I've never fallen asleep in the rain or fallen in the lake during a nap!

some great laughs in this one! I generally can figure out what is meant by some of the latest sayings. Some of which you just won`t hear me say`n.
I will admit (statute of limitations?) to shooting a streetlight or two out...with my old Crossman way back when I was a juvenile delinquint and could of used a spanking...it wasn`t no great feat by any means `shootin them lights out`

Originally Posted By: tripod3Wet dream just doesn't equate to accuracy to me. I thought a wet dream was a misfire and certainly a miss. Maybe someone who has had one could tell us. I've never fallen asleep in the rain or fallen in the lake during a nap!

+1....lol

Chupa

that saying originate from the old striped prison jump suits. an escaping black prisoner.

Originally Posted By: yoteblaster03How about "Runs like a striped a$$ ape", never understood that one either.

Chupa

that saying originate from the old striped prison jump suits. an escaping black prisoner.

Ahhh, A fellow useless information buff. Ok, where did the term "Mad as a hatter" come from. Know that one? I do.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: SamSpadeThose fit in with "shoots better than I can"??

Meaning, the rifle is capable of feats of accuracy that the shooter himself is not.

And I will add that every rifle I own is more accurate than me.

Chupa

Back