Brand New Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 .223

Tbone801

Finally got my new savage predator hunter max 1 in this week and went to the range on Saturday. Started out on the 100 yard range to get my bore sighted gun on paper. after 5 shots i was way close. Then the next 5 shots I was making 1/2" groups and some 3/4" groups. I never cleaned the gun and I am so impressed. I traded in my Kimber Pro Varmint .223 the dealer gave me 850 for it and i am so happy with my decision. Also I am including my 5 shot group and pictures of the gun since no one really has good pictures up of this model. Remember I was just shooting off of a bipod and sand bag.

Savage = AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCOPE IS A NIKON MONARCH 4-16x42mm MILDOT

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

Those are NICE groups for factory ammo at 200 yards! Not saying Black Hills is bad, but thats better than I would expect out of a factory load.

How was it out at Lee Kay? Been meaning to get out there to test some loads, but been too busy lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the Kimber was junk has been since I have owned it. Always was miss firing and failing to eject. Sent to Kimber 2 times and nothing. After all the headache I am glad I traded it in and did not sell it directly to someone else. Oh and I put that the dealer gave me 850$ sorry i meant 750$.

I don't care the gun had major problems and after sending it to kimber twice and also my local gun smith I had, Had it with it. There is nothing more disturbing than when you pay 1300$ for something that you absolutely love and want so bad and the [beeep] thing has been a paper weigh and could never be trusted in the field with a dog ready in my sights. I am sure that not all kimbers are but i wont every buy a kimber unless its a 1911.

Thanks

LOVETOHUNT93.

The Gun is very well balanced I really love it. At 8.5 lbs it seems heavy when your reading about it but really all I can say is I am in LOVE!!!!

This is the second savage that has blown my mind away and I think I am going to be a (NEWER) Savage owner for life.

I have a Kimber Pro Varmint in .22-250 that I'm not very happy with as well. It also has extraction issues, is throated ridiculously long. And to make things worse, I can't get any better than .223 velocities out of it without getting serious pressure signs. It's a great looking/feeling gun, but the rest of it is marginal at best.
If I had the same trade option, I'd take it as well.

Congrats on the new Savage!!

They do shoot well!
grin.gif
Between my friends and I,we have 6 of them! I've got 2,one in 223,and one in 243 cal. My 223 shot 9 in one hole,sighting it in at 100yds.then I moved it down 2 "clicks" to get it on at 200! Ron
102_0598.jpg

ive been eye'n one of these for some time, what'd u guys pay retail?....if you dont mind me askin

9 shot hole might make me pull the triggger on one now, since i just planted a new shooting bench this past saturday at the house

That is a fantastic group RKS1949!! I have one too; the only thing, and this is the only thing.. i don't like is that recoil pad. What do you think of that? Seems spongy to me. Other than that, love that rifle.

Why are Savage rifles so accurate straight from the factory?

A 9 shot one hole group at 100? Some guys pay THOUSANDS of dollars for a rifle to shoot that good.

How is Savage doing it? And why aren't other manufacturers following suit?

They are going out the door at our local dealers for 749.00! junglekat,get one,you won't be dissapointed! joek,the forearm has the alum block extended into it. It's not flimsy! 223Pete I don't care for the "soft recoil" pad either. It's not needed on a 223,for sure. That group was shot at one hundered yards with a 40gr V-Max,over 23.3grs. of IMR 4198,WSR primers,and RP cases. I'm going to try another load out,with a 55gr. V-Max,over W748 later this week. I really like the heavier bullets for hunting! rookie,they just are!
thumbup1.gif
I've had rifles costing twice as much,that never shot as well,as a stock Savage! The accu-stock has alot to do with the accuracy of this model.Ron

Last edited:
I can get a max 1 for 649.00 plus tax.I did not know they had blued barrel.I got it confused with the other predator brush which does not have accu stock.Does the snow camo have accu stock and accu trigger.

Back