Yet another coon callin ?

Page

I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck callin coons out of old barns. I know they are in there and guys with dogs do very well, was just curious if anyone has tried this and if you had any luck.

Thanks!!!

After four years of coon calling I've yet to see a coon come running out of anything but a den tree. I've tried brush piles, hay stacks, barns and old cars. We were able to isolate there location by tracks in the snow but they refused to show. I suppose they feel much safer checking out a distress call or fight sound from 30 ft in the air.

I've seen them come out of old houses. This was several years ago before I started calling them, but a buddy had done it a few times and he was just showing me how it worked.

I know it's a different situation, but years ago when we ran coon hounds we treed them in pines or oaks with lots of leaves. Rather than climb the tree we would use a "coon squaller" call to try and get them to come down. One guy would make a big commotion and walk about 75 yards away taking the hound with him. The second guy would sit quietly about ten feet from the tree. First guy would start "squalling". Almost immediately you could hear the coon coming down the tree. When you thought he was about ten feet from the ground you turned on your light and started shooting. I've even hit them and had them run back up the tree. Then both hunters had to trade places and the further one start squalling again. The second time that coon came right back down the tree and was killed.

Might be worth a try on an abandoned barn, but you would need two hunters. One to squall and one to shoot. The coon wants to get away from the squaller.

Back