Lessons for the young and the old...QUESTION?

critterdown

OK well i posted the story below a few days ago. I have noticed that over 100 views and only two people has left a comment. I guess i came from some hard times being a farmers son. But i was reading the youth post where a gentleman is asking kids to do something for an elder and post what they did and he will send them something. I think this is a great idea and it teaches the kids a valuable lesson in life. But after seeing only two people reply to story i have got to ask when is the last time that you have taken the chance to take a kid, elderly, or disabled person to experience the outdoors? I think sometimes as we grow older we forget the times that we were younger or maybe dont take the time to think about the memories made as a kid. I think we all as outdoorsmen have a great opportunity to make a difference in someones life. I would like to remind everyone to give back as much or more and as often as you can. You never know maybe one day when you have grown old and grey one of todays kids may take time to let you tag along on a hunt. I would like to see some people post some things that they have done lately for someone else. And i am also always up for new ideas to help the kids, elderly, and disabled in my community.

Well i would like to take this chance to introduce myself. I am fairly new to the world of predator hunting. Also, fairly new to the site and havent posted alot. By no means am i a great story teller. But i have read alot of these post and figured i would tell a story about this past year and the lesson's that i have learned and the simple things in life that no one can take away from us. I love to see the pics of the youth and hear the story's of proud dad's or the proud young hunters in the youth section.
I would like to start out by asking the questions "Do you remember your first kill? What are your greatest memories in the field? What are some of lifes lessons hunting has taught you?" As i sit and write this i honestly cant being to count all the memories i will always remember or how special my first kill was not only then but more so now that my dad is gone. But, this past year has really taught me the real reason i enjoy the outdoors. It is not about me it is about passing to tradition on to the next generation!!!

This is my story of 2010 hunting and fishing.

I will start with a lil history about the young man that opened my eyes and showed me the reason i love the outdoors so much and what things in life really matter. I gave him the nickname BOONE. He is a distant cousin but closer than a lil brother. He grew up in the big city and was taught to fear everything. (Lady bugs included)
I got the chance to introduce him to the sport of shooting and he loved it. he finally decided he wanted to hunt. We made one hunt at end of 2009 season. I had him sitting on my knee watching a 140 class 8pt eat for 30+ minutes and he never got a shot. But that hooked him on hunting and now he wanted to try fishing. I must say he did not want to hold the 40 lb catfish and i dont think he liked the idea of riding in the boat with the fish either.
2010 Boones first deer!!!!!!!
Well we got together and scheduled boone to come stay a week with me and my wife in miss. We had 7 days to get him a deer (easy right?). Luck would have it that the weather here in nov. was well down right hot and the deer were not co-operating. The first hunt of first day we seen a few does same story could not get a shot. The heavy breathing and "Buck Fever" had taken the chance. We had hunted several days and well hadn't had the chance to shot. I phoned a friend and he let us come to his place. Nice box stand on a pretty wheat field. Of course wind is blowing and it is near 80 degrees. We sit patiently and as dark falls we havent seen nothing. I put the video camera up because it is now dark enough that i cant film when i see something coming out in field. It is two deer. I knew we only had a few minutes of hunting left and we had to make this count. He only had two more days to stay with me. We also had to be at a family gathering after dark! His adopted grand parents / parents were coming in for thanksgiving. I grabbed my binoculars and told him to get ready. He had not seen deer at this time. He got the 243 out the window and spotted the deer. Boy did the breathing get hard and stand start shaking! I told him to take the one on the left being that is was the bigger of the two. I am trying to coach him to relax take a breath squeeze the trigger. He asked now? I told him to take her. He squezzes the trigger.... nothing happens. He said i forgot to put it on fire! So now even more nervous he flips to fire and i tell him to take her. He squeezes shot off. The deer stumbles and takes out running. I can tell she is hit good. He is worried he missed until i look at him sitting beside me so anxiously. I go to shake his hand and tell him congratulations you got your first deer. Well, at that moment a hand shake was not good enough. He put his arms around my neck and tears came to his eyes. This was a great accomplishment for him. I must say i had tears in my eyes. He looks at me and says dont think i am a baby because i am crying!!! I dont know why i am crying!!! It is then i reflect back on my youth and my first hunt with my dad. It had been over 22yrs since i shot my first deer and two years since my dad past away. But it was a special hunt not only for him but for me also.
The night before he is to leave and go back to the city i hear him in his room praying. I can tell he was upset so i listen for a lil while. I finally decided to go check on him. When i go in there he is all teary eyed. He proceeds to tell me that he has been all around the world and all kinds of places. He then says the best times in his life had happened that week in the middle of the country. He did not want to go back and leave the memories.
I told him that he will never leave the memories. I told him how being in the stand with him for his first kill had made me think of all the good memories i had and i shared some of them with him. I told him to always cherish those memories because they are just that "Memories" but the good thing is no one can take them from us!!
I am looking foward to March as he will be coming back to miss. to turkey hunt with me. It is then i will introduce hime to predator hunting. I hope that we will get his first turkey or first coyote.

Ok, sorry for the long story that some may not read. But i would like to remind all the older folks to take the chance to share the traditions and the great outdoors any chance you get take a young one to the woods.
Young folks cherish this time in your life! You will always remember the memories of the hunts. From the first kill to the one that got away. As you grow older share your experiences with the next generation.

Last edited:
Welcome, critterdown.

Great story. Brought back a couple of memories here, as well!

Passing on our shooting/hunting heritage to the next generation(s) is one of the more rewarding experiences a man can have and makes for many fond memories.

Would like to see this one nominated for consideration in Hunter of the Month contest.

Regards,
hm

Thanks HM1996, I have had alot of chances to hunt with disabled and youth. I just turned 30 and i could care less if i shoot anything else. While i would love to complete a grand slam and go on hunts different places I have been blessed to watch a many of kid take their first deer or turkey. I rarely take a gun in the woods now. I try to arm myself with a kid and video camera and let them enjoy.

Thanks, Cojay

I would imagine all of us here have some great memories. I hope to be able to add a story about his first predator hunt but that will be some time after next month.

Critter down,
I just finished writing a sympathy card to the wife of one of my mentors growing up. As I reflect on the man who was very instrumental in shaping my life I realize there are lessons that children (especially boys) won't learn from their own fathers. This is why I believe it is wonderful you are taking the time to mentor other youngsters. We just never know how the time spent with a youngster will shape their life.

drscott

Drscott,
I am sorry to hear about your lost and will pray for this family. I agree that there are things that boys will not learn from their dads!!! There is always the difference between fathers and sons. And like you i have reflected back on the people that helped me. And i re- live all those times by watching another kid that is just thankful someone took time with them. Sometimes Kids will not show this gratitude at that moment but one day you will run into them and they will say "thank you". It is then that it was worth every minute of your time.

Back