Simmons Predator Quest series scope???

My first scope was a Leupold M7 4x. Followed by a Weaver and a Redfield. Next, I believe, was a Lyman All-American. Guess I just started out on the right foot............
grin.gif

How did you ever manage??....just messin with ya...Im sure 20 years from now,,someone thats twenty something will say his first scope was a Nightforce and he killed alot of squirrels with it.......X

Sometimes people buy what thay can afford to get out and enjoy hunting with. Everone can not buy a $500 scope so a $100 scope will do. Not as good but gets the job done. just my thoughts.

I must be really lucky because it sounds like every cheap scope out there falls apart and lays on the ground after the first couple shots. It's never happened to me, all the cheap ones have stayed together and have held zero after who know how many miles riding around in the truck, walking timber, strapped to an ATV. I have a Tasco on a .17hmr it holds zero, had a Tasco on a .300 win mag, it held zero, had one on my .223 until a couple days ago, it held zero, have a BSA on a .243 it holds zero. All of them stay put and when I adjust them they move pretty darn close to where they are supposed to. I will give you guys, the glass isn't the best on these scopes but I haven't had any problems seeing animals from prairie dogs up to deer.

I think hunters/shooters are some times like the girls that live in them big ol' cities, a wal-mart purse will carry all your stuff just fine, but they sure do look better carrying it in a coach purse.
grin.gif

I'm not saying those high dollar scopes aren't better, because they are, we all know that. Sometimes I think people just run stuff down because they can afford better. I can't afford a $1000 scope and I'm pretty sure I never will. Also I've never shot an animal that is worth a $1000, and never plan on it, so I can't buy in to missing that shot of a lifetime argument, if that makes sense. Not dogging on people that like or use high dollar scopes, it's just not my cup of tea. Heck I just bought a Nitrex and that is the most expensive scope I have ever owned, only got it because it was on sale. This is just my opinion so don't string me up, I've only looked through or shot half a dozen high end scope so I'm no expert on the subject.

I think it depends on where it was made to, and coyotex is right on about my first rifle. Savage mkII with tasco pronghorn scope, beat to he'll over the years, but always holds zero.

The scopes that came out of Tasco when Mead owned them were very good for the $ IMO, but that was a short time. Now I think there back to cheap crappy scopes, again, JMO.

The best scope I have ever bought is a Nitrex Tr2 I just got, most others are Weaver Grandslams (affordable if you shop smart, tough as nails, decent glass)

Originally Posted By: Irish_80I think hunters/shooters are some times like the girls that live in them big ol' cities, a wal-mart purse will carry all your stuff just fine, but they sure do look better carrying it in a coach purse.
grin.gif

I think that is a great analogy! LOL for sure!! My problem is this, I love guns, if I was to drop a grand on every gun in my safe I would have 40k in scopes! I have some expensive scopes for those guns I think need them but cheaper ones that don't.

Okay, I am happy to say that I had to google "coach purse" to know [beeep] he was talking about
lol.gif

It is my opinion that some of the people who own cheaper scopes do not know the difference between them and good scopes. I also believe that a lot of these scopes don't function perfectly either, and that also goes unknown.

I have had the pleasure of owning a good 100 scopes or more, which has also given me the pleasure of watching a bunch of them fail in various ways. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for as far as optics are concerned. There are some exceptions to this rule, both good and bad......

Growing up, i had to buy my own hunting stuff. All i ever had was tasco and simmons, and i thought they were great. Thats until i was able to buy Nikon, burris, Leupold!

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOkay, I am happy to say that I had to google "coach purse" to know [beeep] he was talking about
lol.gif

It is my opinion that some of the people who own cheaper scopes do not know the difference between them and good scopes. I also believe that a lot of these scopes don't function perfectly either, and that also goes unknown.

I have had the pleasure of owning a good 100 scopes or more, which has also given me the pleasure of watching a bunch of them fail in various ways. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for as far as optics are concerned. There are some exceptions to this rule, both good and bad......

good post, im onbe of the guys whom never had a very descent scope so i wouldnt know how to compare the higher end calls to the barskas, or bsa's or tasco. the most expensive glass i have ever looked through was my barska now......that says alot

Not bad. They are about on par with a Bushnell 3200 or an older Leupy Vari XII.

Weaver Classic is the best budget priced scope out there. Better glass than Prostaff, 3200, Buckmaster, Simmons, Burris FF2, etc. More on par with the scopes that start out at $300 for a 3-9x40. They are also tougher and track better, IMO.......

I have 2 Simmons 8 point scopes a 3x9x40 on my .243 and a 4x32 on a Marlin 22. Im very impressed with both scopes. I can see the .243 bullet holes at 100 yds on 6x. My Son has 1 on a .308 with the same excellent clarity. I dont know how long they will last but for what I paid Im not worried, Ive never had a 'cheap' scope ever fail. I cant say that about 2 leupolds I use to own. To my eye, I cant see the 200-300 dollar difference. Im not saying the Simmons is better than the "quality" glass but they are good usable scopes for a good price. Ive owned a bunch of Tasco scopes with excellent results as well.

Last edited:
I bought a Simmons 44Mag 3-10x44 years ago and it still is going strong,BUT I also have a Prosport 3-9x50 by simmons(1 year old)and its cloudy.JUNK Just got a Redfield 3-9x50AR and I am impressed so far.So for a few dollars more you can get alot more,better glass,better warranty ect.. I will be staying away from simmons now, period!

I've owned mostly cheap scopes that were put on good rifles. I never knew much about them and they worked pretty well for my purposes. I've just recently purchased my first leupold because I found it on sale, and had a coupon, and lucked out when the checkout girl gave me an additional 10% off because they couldn't find the box for it. I haven't mounted it yet, but the glass clarity does seem better than what I'm used to.

I think the biggest difference in your cheap scopes and your $300-$500 scopes are the light gathering capabilities ,fog and sweat resistance, which directly relate to glass.... and not having to tap on it to make sure it moves when you make adjustment. LOL that was a givin with the older cheap scopes, move it,tap it!!!
Im a firm believer that nice glass is a great advantage and if im on a very expensive guided hunt of some sort, dont let your equipment be the reason for a wasted trip. Now on the other hand if im running around on the farm shooting squirrels ,coyotes or just shooting randomly, then a tasco or simmons will be just fine with me !! I know its hard to justify for a lot of people, but a $400 gun will probably be alot more satisfying with a $400 scope than a $59 clearance special!!!!! To each his own!

I have two of these scopes...and I absolutely love them!! They have performed very well!! They have Excellent eye relief. 4.5-18X44 and 6-24X50 with a 30mm tube, side parallax and sun shade for less than $190.00 for the 4.5-18 and the 6-24 is less than $230.00...I'll take it.

The truth is...Bushnell bought Simmons and changed the company completely. They are a different outfit now!!

I would recommend to anyone to try one of these scopes!! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

I looked through a Nikon M-223 the other day and must say it was impressive. The glass was very clear and brite. I'll probably replace the Nikon thats on my AR now with one of those real soon.

Bushnell did buy Tasco.

I have liked most of the new scopes I have looked at lately. Most companies have come a long ways in the last 15 years. The one company I take exception to is Nikon. I had a Nikon Monarch and wasn't too pleased with it. Side by side the Weaver Grand Slam blew it away, I got rid of the Nikon.

I like the high end scopes and yet there are some good values out there for when you just don't have the cash for the spendy one.

Back