What do ya think of this quad rail?

If your are looking for em do a ebay search,,,,,saw some good prices on 7075 aluminum one thers,,as low as 19.95 plus 9.95 shipping.

I held one of the ncstar ones over the weekend at a gun show,,they are pretty well built,,screws are longer than needed,,only thing you wanna watch,,some are annodized,,some painted..........X

What do I think? Personally, I think NCStar belongs on airsoft and BB guns, but I HAD a Barska scope until a couple weeks ago, so I can't tell you NOT to buy the cheap stuff.

If it's all you can afford, go for it.

What were the reasons you felt the need for a quad rail?

Come on Cbass16. Didn`t you read the add and see all the tacticool stuff he could put on?
smile.gif

I don`t have rifles with quad rails yet. I`m not done with my collection though either.

I need to change my free float on my 20 inch,,to a floated quad rail,,,so i can attach it to a claw/bipod for groundhogs this spring,,due to the fact you wanna attach at the balance point.....X

Originally Posted By: cbass16What do I think? Personally, I think NCStar belongs on airsoft and BB guns, but I HAD a Barska scope until a couple weeks ago, so I can't tell you NOT to buy the cheap stuff.

I dont need one. I just dont like the FAT Glacierguards on my Sportical. Id like something a little smaller- more streamlined. And I might add a front hand grip. I dont mind to pay for something better. But I dont have a high end AR. Just your plain woods beatin, coyote bustin Sportical.

Last edited:
I wasn't questioning the need by any means. I prefer the quad rails, but if one isn't planning to attach stuff it's not really needed.

Putting on a grip or a bipod mount is a completely justifiable reason to have one. If you're replacing glacier guards, and not going with a free floated quad rail...then this will probably do just fine.

The free floated ones will cost more, but will be much more sturdy as well. If you're upgrading from glacier guards...those will definitely be a step up...just not a very big step.

I would check out the ones made by UTG before touching NCstar myself....had plenty of bad luck with their optics.
Ive got a UTG free float quad rail on my carbine and like it.
PICT4330.jpg

I have the UTG one as well, and this one is made in the USA

UTG Pro Quad Rail

If you go this route make sure you get the right one, one is made in China, and one is made in the USA and they look identical. This is the only quad rail I own so I can't compare it to anything else. So far I think it is pretty darn good, and mine came with rail covers to boot.

I would save my money for anoher week and buy YHM, or one of the other higher end rails.I did have a UTG rail, and the UTG covers are even pretty usefull.

Originally Posted By: RowdyRawhideI have the UTG one as well, and this one is made in the USA

UTG Pro Quad Rail

If you go this route make sure you get the right one, one is made in China, and one is made in the USA and they look identical. This is the only quad rail I own so I can't compare it to anything else. So far I think it is pretty darn good, and mine came with rail covers to boot.
Jeeeez... Does Midwayusa ever keep anything in stock? Larrys new motto should be "the best backorder company on the net."

I have a UTG setup also and I've been happy with it. Seems to hold zero with red dot offset on the foregrip. No complaints yet.

Originally Posted By: wormyOriginally Posted By: cbass16What do I think? Personally, I think NCStar belongs on airsoft and BB guns, but I HAD a Barska scope until a couple weeks ago, so I can't tell you NOT to buy the cheap stuff.

I dont need one. I just dont like the FAT Glacierguards on my Sportical. Id like something a little smaller- more streamlined. And I might add a front hand grip. I dont mind to pay for something better. But I dont have a high end AR. Just your plain woods beatin, coyote bustin Sportical.

If you are just looking for something slimmer, a Magpul MOE might fit the bill, and someone a few post above me has one for sale. Since it installs just like the Glacier handguerds it will be much easier to install than going to a free float, and Magpul makes a relatively inexpensive vertical grip that will attach without the use of a rail. Here's one on one of my ARs..

SPIKES01-011611B.jpg

Last edited:
I would go with a YHM or a Midwest Industries. UTG is airsoft crap and Ncstar is below that believe it or not. Cheaply constructed out of chinese pot metal. I could crap out a better quad rail.

Originally Posted By: mitchrappI would go with a YHM or a Midwest Industries. UTG is airsoft crap and Ncstar is below that believe it or not. Cheaply constructed out of chinese pot metal. I could crap out a better quad rail.

I'd be curios to know if you have ever owned either of these. The UTG rail I own is made in the USA and has nice laser engraving that says so. I am pretty sure I could take it off and use it as a hammer if I wanted too. The only down side is it seems fairly heavy for its size.

Alot of people are ready to jump up and say how big a piece $#it something is based a what they have read and not first hand experience. I'm not saying some of it is not crap, but the rail I mentioned and supplied a link to will work for most people, maybe not the urban cowboys that have unlimited funds to buy all the name brand stuff.

However, that being said, joebobs price on the linked YHM Rail is a great price and had I known about it 10 months ago I probably would have went that route. At the time I ordered mine it was the only US made rail for under $100.

Originally Posted By: wormy
Jeeeez... Does Midwayusa ever keep anything in stock? Larrys new motto should be "the best backorder company on the net."

+1000000000000

I was waiting for a barrel to get off back order today and oh my guess what?? It got pushed back another month!
rolleyes.gif

Back