Easiest way to setup bullet seating die?

Ricky Bobby

As you probably can already tell, I'm new to reloading. I have read up on all my manuals, I've got my bench ready, and have picked out the first load that I want to attempt for my .22 Hornet. One thing I haven't quite understood from doing my research is setting my die for the correct bullet seating depth. Is there an easy or simple way to do this? I've read that you can make up a dummy round with no powder or primer to just see what your OAL is, when cycled in the press. Is this the best, foolproof way to do it? I'm so close to getting underway with my first rounds, but want to be sure of everything before I do. Oh, I will be using a RCBS Rock Chucker press with RCBS full-length resizing die set. Thanks

This guy pulls it out a full turn. I just do a quarter of a turn. I do not crimp so disregard the crimping procedure if you do not crimp.

I would not do the dummy round. Not like you are wasting a lot of money by having those things sitting around but I want my length to be the same every time and it does not come out the same if I do it that way. Once you do it the first time tighten the set screw on the die. GTG

From my experience, first thing I think that you should do is read the directions that came with the die. I don`t say this to be rude, but because I found out the hard way that they`re not all set up the same.
I have a couple of dummy rounds set up for a couple load combos that work well for me.
You will have to `sneak up` on your desired COAL, for the first round, meaning adjust it down a little bit at a time.
Once you have it set they should be all realitively close, within a few thousands, maybe better with an ogive guage.
Of course different bullets will require re adjustments.
Does that help?

Just seen the picture of your gear in another post,cool man! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Thought I might clarify a little bit on a couple things, the mistake I made about the dies; I was used to setting up bullet seating dies without a built in crimp, then went to set up a .204 Ruger die which has a built in crimp, and ended up buckling/destroying 2 rnds, before I said hmm what the hecks going on here (sensored version).
By sneaking up on it I mean what you will do after screwing in your die per the instructions (touching the shell holder, then in or out x amount of turns), then at this point you will just seat the bullet a little bit at a time, making small adjustments untill COAL is achieved.
Clear as mud??

The Hornet doesn't need a crimp. You didn't say what rifle you had. A bolt gun, TC, Magazine fed. If magazine fed, just make sure they fit in the magazine. I make a dummy and keep it with the dies. You never know. You also get the advantage of trying to cycle a round without the danger of one going off. Learned that with a lever-gun once. Makes a heck of a dent in the concrete floor. As for setting up my dies, I usually put an empty case in the case holder and screw the dies in until they stop. Then back off a bit to ensure they don't crimp. Loosen the spindle and back it off. Put the bullet on top of dummy cartridge and run it in. If it needs to seat more, I screw the spindle in a bit. Repeat as necessayr to get COL needed.

Follow the instructions that came with the dies. Get yourself a good pair of Digital Calipers & measure, measure, measure until you have the OAL where you want it. Once the die is set-up, I check every 10th rd, just to make sure.

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTI usually put an empty case in the case holder and screw the dies in until they stop. Then back off a bit to ensure they don't crimp. Loosen the spindle and back it off. Put the bullet on top of dummy cartridge and run it in. If it needs to seat more, I screw the spindle in a bit. Repeat as necessayr to get COL needed.

+1

Thanks alot guys! This really is helping me to understand better. When setting the bullet seating die up on press, if I were wanting a slight crimp, where would I start at then? Say I put my empty case in the press and raise it to the top of its stroke, I then spin my die in from the top until I can feel it bump the case, at this point, would I just leave it where it is instead of backing it off some? Just curious because I have heard some folks say they prefer a slight crimp for their .22 Hornet! Oh, and I'm shooting a Ruger 77/22.

Yes, by George I think you`ve got it!
Back off a little for no crimp,in a little for more crimp, or where it just touches might be perfect for your desired slight crimp.
Remember it`s kind of important for your brass to be trimmed to a uniform length for seating with a crimp in this fashion.
One thing I might add since I can tell your rip, snortin ready to go,(and I have seen this done by a few beginners here),You might consider loading up 15-20 rnds,3-5rnd`s each with different weight of powder, as opposed to just picking a load at random (or just because it works for someone else). 1/2 g or less can make a difference between .500" group and 1.500"
However you decide to go about it, have fun and be safe.

I'm for sure planning on only loading five rounds then shooting, five more and shoot more, and on and on until I find exactly what I want or what my rifle wants. Only then will I load 50-100 at a time! I can already tell you though that even if I find one that shoots well, I will still be trying to improve or tweak the load in some shape or form! I just know how I am. But I think that will be the fun part. Thanks Hooked, for hanging in there with me. If you have any other recommendations, feel free to let me know!

Other recommendations.
I see you started out with the Lyman Reloading Manual, good choice, thats the first book I bought also.
Suggest you visit Hornady web page and read up a little on Internal Ballistics, good info and it`s FREE!
I suggest that because eventually you will more n likely want to start adjusting your OAL and there is important info. in regards to that topic. Not how to determine max OAL for YOUR rifle, but things you should know about it.
I stumbled upon one of the best loads for my AR by first loading only slightly longer (.020") than min. OAL listed in the manual...decided to try it at max OAL that would fit my magazine 2.250", and bingo. That was a difference of .030"

Easiest way to set up a bullet seating die?

Maybe I shouldn't say this but staying within the printed instructions, and being careful; I've put a similar factory round in the press, raised up the ram to the top, and then screw down the die and then the bullet seater until their snug. That will surely get you in the ball park.

Back