243 Help

gracie2fish

I am thinking of buying a Remington SPS varmint in 243 as a long range varmint gun. Remington lists the twist rate at 9 1/8. Will this twist rate work for the 58gr Hornady or is it too slow? I am not sure if that twist will stabilize the bullet so if anyone knows the *best* bullet weight range for this twist please let me know. Thanks.

The 9 1/8 twist rate is far from to slow if anything it faster than prefered for that weight bullet. Also depending on your definition of long range you may want to look into using something like the 87gr V-MAX or 105gr A-MAX which will handle the wind better and shoot out farther.

Last edited:
It will stabilize them just fine...

243V-MAX.jpg

groups003.jpg

Both 58 Gr V-MAX

I'm sure I could get even tighter groups, but thats with a Coyote Special scope. The reticle isnt really intended for paper.

You will be pushing it trying to get the 105 to stabilize in the 9 twist. It might and it might not. The longer the bullet the faster the twist you need and since weight goes along with width yeah they all fall along those lines. The heavier bullets are alot better at distance.

Thanks for the info. Thats what I thought. I was hoping to use the 58gr to get the higher velocity but I agree that the 87gr would be a better choice for the longer ranges that I am wanting.

58 Vmax doesn't suck too bad in my Rem 700:

243200yd58Vmax.jpg

My youngest son:
justin200yds.jpg

Back before I knew any better I used to shoot 100 grain Noslers with the same barrel twist. There are a few deer who aren't available to comment on the twist rate being no good.

g2f: Look at Ballistic Coefficients for your long range bullets. (Over 400 yards.) BC trumps velocity for long range. The higher BC the better until your barrel twist won't stabilize them.

My son shot a Douglas ten twist that handled the 105 gr A-max fine at .243AI velocities so your gun may well be fine at .243 velocities. That would be my pick for LR varmints. If you think you'll max out at 300 yards, the 58 will probably work fine but the 87 would be better. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: aftCG58 Vmax doesn't suck too bad in my Rem 700:

243200yd58Vmax.jpg

My youngest son:
justin200yds.jpg

Back before I knew any better I used to shoot 100 grain Noslers with the same barrel twist. There are a few deer who aren't available to comment on the twist rate being no good.

is that really 200yds?
that looks very good if it is

I have a remington 700 sps varmint in .243 with the 26" barrel and the 1 in 9 1/4 twist.

So far my gun has not been able to stabilize and shoot well the 105gr amax bullets. 4 1/2" to over 5" groups at 100 yards.

The best grouping I have seen out of the gun has been with 87grain hornady bthp - right at .75 moa at 100yd.

With that said I am thinking of selling or trading the gun. I bought it primarily to be my long-range rig. I read on the internet that it would stabilize the 105gr amax bullet, and that would be my bullet of choice for 1k - but mine won't.

So, it's rebarrel or sell.

Wow. Those are some great groups! I want to use the 243 for over 400 yards. I have a 204 that I use now and have kills over 400 but I would like the extra wallop of the 243. I thought about using my 270wsm for the long range work but I will primarily be after ground hogs so the 243 seems to be the ticket.

That is interesting, as all the 1-9.25" twist 700s I've known and heard of have no problem runnin' 105gr A-Maxes.
confused.gif

Before you get too down on the rifle, try runnin' some 95gr Bergers out of it. Mine runs them great, and they have nearly the same BC as the A-max and can be pushed a hair faster, so it's pretty much a wash ballistically.......

Thanks for the compliments. The funny thing is that I send these groups to my old man and his feedback is "well that thing ought to shoot pretty well when you get it tuned up"

Like this one from the other day, shot with my Sako .22 PPC

Sako1feb6.jpg

He said it was a pretty good pattern for a shotgun.

I might expect groups like that at 100 yards from the 22PPC, but those 200 yard groups from a factory rifle with standard bullets is way above the normal.

Back