Daytime coon calling

I have been here awile but haven't posted. anyway I gave daytime coon calling a go this year and was only able to get 2 to show, didn't start until after x-mas and was using a coon kit distress sound with no joy, tried a sow fight /kit distress and had 2 show and fall. what sounds are you guys using with good results and what time of year are those sounds better. Thanks.

OK I've had pretty good luck calling this year, so here is what I use or have used.

Lon with the echo I have got them to come on out with coon distress, agressive coon, and the one I like the best is baby and adult fighting.

With the Foxpro of my friends coon fight has worked well for us or any of the sounds that are like the above should work. We've only tried the kit sounds a couple times and didn't have any luck, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you guys.

We just sit the call at the base of the tree kind of out of the way of the den hole so they have to come on out to see what is going on. If you have a mojo critter or something like that we have found that they really lock on to that when they come out.

I managed to shoot a bunch of raccoon this year by calling them with my FoxPro Fury.

I used the following: aggressive coon, coon fight, baby in distress, and the distressed blue jay.

Find a hollow tree, place the caller, turn it on, and wait for the coon to get all the way out of the hole before shooting.

My raccoon firearm is the Ruger 77/22 All Weather in .22 magnum.

Last edited:
I usually call continuously and start with non aggressive sounds such as purrs and kit sounds then work up to the more aggressive sounds with Boars in them. If you start to loud or aggressive the smaller coon won't come out.

I called some coons this weekend with the spit fire using coon fight! I got a big boar out of a tree and another came out in a open field to check it out both came in quick and left out in a hurry!
We didnt shoot any of them we just wanted to try it! we usually run them with hounds!

I tried for the first time this last weekend using my fury. and used the raccoon fight sound at half volumn we called 8 saturday and had 1 that wouldn't come out all the others came out fast. Even had one jump from about 40ft up. We check the sex of them and they we're all males. But it was fun to hunt them that way.

Originally Posted By: lon0121buckeye i found this on youtube by tbr outdoors

That looks like a lot of good, clean fun right there

Originally Posted By: lon0121what bullet grain/brand you chasing the ruger with?

Lonnie,

Most of the raccoon I have shot have been with the Winchester 40 grain Jacketed Hollow Point.

I have shot a few with CCI V-Max 30 grain Polymer Tip.

I prefer the Winchester JHP, I don’t know why, perhaps a little more fur friendly?

Ron

i was just curious, i want to start coon calling and i wanted to use my .22 magnum! i was going to start using the 30 vmax for close coyote and figured a head shot on a coon wouldnt destroy much fur but i dont know now lol!

shoot them groundhogs take a hit with an hmr at 100 yards and sometimes scurry to their hole before they die! coons are just as tough! maybe even tougher and big in some parts!

i use my 22lr for squirrels and rabbit only, unless shot of opportunity!

The .22 LR is not near enough for consistent, clean kills. I've been calling coons for the past few years and we experimented with a variety of rounds. Best luck with .223 reduced to 2,500 fps and a 12 ga. with #4 buck. Zero cripples, minimum pelt damage.

Back